AI attitude when trading techs

MrRandomGuy

Prince
Since I started coming onto this site I've adopted the strategy of buying/selling techs to and from the AI when I am the underdog. The first time I noticed this, I didn't pay much attention and thought I had misread or something. It took a few times for me to realize what was happening.

Sometimes when I sold techs to the AI, their attitude towards me got worse instead of better.

This became more noticeable in the current GOTM playing as Russia. There were times when I sold a tech to the AI and they went from polite to cautious, or from cautious to annoyed.

Has this happened to anyone else? I think I might have an idea as to why their attitude towards me dropped instead of improved. I sold them the least desirable tech I had instead of one with a high AI priority. I'm not sure if this is the case or not though.

I've never seen that happen. Are you sure you didn't accidently make a demand in the process, or something like that?

what i found is, if the AI has a deal(s) with you involves you give them a tech and they make large monthly payment, they tend to do whatever it takes to break it, usually it means to declare war, they don't need to take any consequences anyway which is bs

I've never seen that happen. Are you sure you didn't accidently make a demand in the process, or something like that?

No, I would always ask the AI "what would you like for this" or "what can I trade you for this" then accepted the deal if I wanted to.

Some of them were. Not all of them though. It usually happened when I chose a non required tech to sell or when I had better techs than what I sold them (like selling them the corporation instead of replaceable parts.)

When I sell techs to the AI, I normally discover that they dislike me more after doing so. The only way that I have found to make the AI happy is if you give them Techs and anything else that they want, and even then, that is not a guarantee. The main thing that I get from the AI is maps, as I play on Huge+ maps, and like to see what the world is like. I make all deals one time affairs, strictly for cash, as much as I can get from them.

This has never happened to me before. I can think of a few reasons why the attitude may have gotten worse:

If the deal included the first instance of you buying or selling workers, the AI attitude will get slightly worse.

If the deal included contacts to a civ that you have betrayed or traded workers with, the attitude will get worse.

If you sold them a tech like Nationalism, maybe they upgraded all their units to Riflemen, and with their more powerful military they feel capable of threatening you (I've seen the AI upgrade 100 Infantry to Mech Infantry despite having no gold, and afterwards the AI became aggressive).

Were you trading luxuries or resources with one of their enemies? Maybe they wanted to make a deal with you, but once the deal was complete they became upset because you were juicing their enemy.

If the new tech allowed them to see a new resource like rubber, and you did not have a resource deal in place with them already, they would feel like you are refusing to trade resources with them.

I've never noticed the AI favoring one tech over another in a deal. They are always content with whatever I give them, unless it raises concerns like the ones above. It is a very interesting problem, and I'm curious as to why it happened, but AI attitude doesn't mean much until it's time for a diplomatic victory. Just gift them some gold and take it back when you make the deal.

Top Bottom