AI attitude--why so angry, yo?

MentatYP

Chieftain
AI hates me if I'm too strong
AI hates me if I'm too weak
AI hates me if I build too many wonders
etc.

Is it even possible to maintain a friendly relationship with an AI civ?! Even civs that I've been doing peaceful and symbiotic business with for centuries (trading luxuries, research agreements, etc.) eventually declare war on me, even if I've never done anything remotely hostile to them. Seems like there are too many triggers for AI-initiated war. I'm usually going for domination anyway so it's kinda ok, but it'd be nice if I could try the role of peaceful superpower. Anybody else frustrated with how trigger-happy the AI is?

The only good AI is a dead AI

Sadly a true maxim when it comes to Civ. Their idiotic sociopath attitude makes them so freakin' boring that I just eliminate them so that I can sorta kinda pretend I'm running a legitimate empire instead of dealing with raving schizophrenic loons every few turns.

It's also suicidal... (Immortal Difficulty)
Greece, bordering my country, declared on me, while the majority of its army was elsewhere invading another civ and city state. I had a more advanced army (those Chinese super x-bowmen rock if you beeline them) and took the first 3 of his cities without a single casualty and after meeting only 2 of his military units.

Strange observation: before the patch (and on lower difficulties), AI surrendered quite quickly and gave massive payment for peace: cities, all its gold, resources and GPT. Now, no matter how much you crush the AI (up to the point where it has 1 city and no units remaining) and it still refuses to pay 1 gold for a peace treaty.

I've shared borders with the Iroqious and the Aztecs in my game, I'm in the 1800's at Epic gamespeed and only have had War declared on me once. The Aztec's declared war on me and then quickly changed their mind and offered me gpt, resources and even one of their cities in exchange in peace.

My question to you: ARe you accepting many "Pacts of Secrecy" "Pacts of Cooperation" and "Open Borders". If you are, maybe that's your problem? I deny all of those requests unless I specificially need to use another civ's terrain, or want to form an alliance against a particular civilization.

My question to you: ARe you accepting many "Pacts of Secrecy" "Pacts of Cooperation" and "Open Borders". If you are, maybe that's your problem? I deny all of those requests unless I specificially need to use another civ's terrain, or want to form an alliance against a particular civilization.

Yep. People don't understand that actions have consequences.

The AI is currently one of the worst aspects of the game. That why Jon Shafer said it will be the focus of the next patch with a major overhaul.

Now, I don't know about you, but I generally don't do major modifications to something unless it's broken. I mean, it is broken, and well know that, but this just confirms it. Good news is that... something is on its way. May not be a perfect fix, but should help. Hopefully.

Well, the AI is there to provide a challenge for you. Since the dawn of Civ this has been accomplished in a very simplistic manner, with barely a hint of intelligence. It's all down to a formula, and part of the game is to figure out the variables and factors of this formula. As long as you realise that it is not hate, just numbers, you can enjoy the game. And if you can't figure out the formula, you can always bypass it by making sure you're strong enough to handle whatever it's throwing at you :)

The AI is currently one of the worst aspects of the game. That why Jon Shafer said it will be the focus of the next patch with a major overhaul.

Now, I don't know about you, but I generally don't do major modifications to something unless it's broken. I mean, it is broken, and well know that, but this just confirms it. Good news is that... something is on its way. May not be a perfect fix, but should help. Hopefully.

Shafer is just a noob who doesn't know how to play the game.

Next patch AI improvements:

AI's now start off with nukes (oh wait, they don't know how to use them!)
AI's now start off with 5 cities and 20 Horseman (AI can use horses?)
AI's declare war every 20 turns regardless of location (DoW teleports their entire army to your border)

Nah, I'm just kidding. I hope the AI really gets improved. It's abysmal in its current state. Diplomacy is broken and combat...is meh, I've gotten flashes of brilliance and mostly <facepalm>

Well I guess you can view it as the fickle nature of world politics in Civ and in real life too when you think about it. Some roleplaying might help alleviate some of the frustration :)

That said the AI does need to be more aware of what's going on. I really hope the first patch will resolve some of the issues we're experiencing.

The AI is acting on code. Just because you can't see every modifier on the screen now doesn't mean that they don't exist - they're still there, you just have to figure them out more.

etc.

I have only played one game where the AI did not attack me and that was a single city cultural victory on Prince. Since then I tried a single city 3 more times, twice on Emperor (each time I was attacked) and once more on Prince (also attacked). I did the same thing each time so I am not sure what makes the attack vs not.

I am pretty sure that if you get into a conflict, it seems to make it more likely to get into another. In my second Prince run, I was attacked early and often. In fact, 6 out of the 8 civs declared war at some point.

They seem to behave themselves better if you play on an archipelago map. In my two immortal games the only AI to declare war on me was China, who I happened to share a starting island with. The rest left me, and each other, alone all the way up into modern times, even though I had next to no military. I did open borders and signs pacts of coop (but not secrecy) whenever they asked, though I can't be sure that made much a difference.

Top Bottom