1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI Aztec Archers Attack Twice per turn

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by bryanb2007, Nov 14, 2010.

1. bryanb2007

bryanb2007 Chieftain

Not sure why this is happening, I quit and reloaded the game a couple of times, and had the same result.
    I have a situation in a deity game where Rome has requested me to join their war with Montezuma. I agreed and went to war with Rome. I surrounded one of 'Zuma's cities and hit next turn. Quickly I was annihilated by the AI's archer in the little city.

It appears for some reason the AI gets to fire his archers twice at me. One bombard from the city and two archer attacks means a unit killed every turn.

I get the feeling that there are two archers stacked in this city somehow. This is a big bug right ? I am using a couple of mods, but I checked the mod files and their is no modification on the archer unit. Does this happen in vanilla ?

I am using the City State Diplo mod 2.0 v3. Echoes of Ages v10 and Medical Support Units v3.

I provided two saves. Test2 is right after I surrounded the city, and right before I hit next turn, and Test3 is the turn (or maybe 2) after that.

What is going on here ?

2. twilson1111

twilson1111 Chieftain

Do you think it's likely that the Archer just has the double-attack promotion?

3. bryanb2007

bryanb2007 Chieftain

Well it is hard to tell because they are garrisoned so I can't see the promos. As an aside that is a UI issue that needs to get fixed at some point. Also very annoying that you can't mouse over enemy promos so you can see what they have. I will try and find a mod that will allow me to see what promos he has.

4. bryanb2007

bryanb2007 Chieftain

I went back a couple of autosaves before the archer got garrisoned so I can see his promos, and all he has is one red triangle. Not sure what one red triangle is, but i'm guessing it is not "attack twice".

Here is a screen shot.

5. bryanb2007

bryanb2007 Chieftain

I went and replayed some of the saves. It appears that there are two AI archers stacked on top of that city. Lame!

6. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

Edit, well nevermind what I wrote! Tried it and it doesnt work. I you read this and dont know what Im talking about, well then its for the best!

7. elthrasher

elthrasher Revcaster

The red triangle just means it's a negative. In this case it probably means "may not melee attack."

Probably the Aztecs just had one archer in that city and then produced another after it got surrounded. If the new unit can't go anywhere, it'll just stay in the city.

8. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

do you have the city completely surrounded? if not then the 2nd archer is probably actually on another tile but is invisible. I've accidentally attacked archers who were hitting me twice per turn in exactly the way that you describe. it's a graphical glitch, VERY annoying. although I guess it's possible if you have the city completely surrounded that he just built another archer in there.

9. orangecape

orangecape Chieftain

I have seen this before too, what is happening is the AI has an archer stationed outside the city somewhere that is shooting you but it looks like it is inside. If you try to enter the 'empty' square the archer is in your unit will attack the city graphically and then appear back in the proper square with the archer dead. It is annoying as all hell, but it is just a graphical/UI bug, not a combat bug.

10. bryanb2007

bryanb2007 Chieftain

Yes I think that is what is happening. I noticed when I moved into one of the empty squares around the city, that I suddenly attacked the city (which I couldn't have reached that turn).

Any chance 2K Greg will pick this up and pass it along as a bug report for the next patch ?

11. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

he has a thread over at 2k games or you can report it in the bug list here. very annoying bug imho, and one of the very few reported that I've actually experienced firsthand.