1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI Beelining when founding cities

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by gladoscc, Sep 24, 2011.

1. gladoscc

gladoscc Warlord

Have this annoying behavior been removed? Before the AI will just go straight for your land, seems like the AI designer wants to make you declare war upon each other. Not fun when you want to win the game peacefully.

2. black213

black213 Emperor

And then they will say "stop settling near us".

3. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

No, it is still in the game.
    Maybe less than in the past, but nevertheless, you'll still find it.

4. Montov

Montov King

It is smart. Most human also want to cut off the AI when settling, so it is good the AI does it as well.

5. gladoscc

gladoscc Warlord

But the AI goes for you. Always you. Even if you are friendly with them.

6. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

So you are saying if you are on the other way of the continent and the other civ(america) is on the other side of the continent you decide to plant a citie next to the other civ? So you have to move a worker all the way up there to improve the resource/ and having no trade route and is vulnreable to atack

7. Noatz

Noatz Warlord

No, when you spawn close to an AI. If you see a great city site in between you and them you tend to try and settle it ASAP before they can grab whatever resources are there.

8. Rpger29

Rpger29 Prince

This is just one of those things that needs a little tweaking. The AI should see no difference between the player and other AI's. But it sure seems to prefer taking actions that are detrimental to the player.

A similar problem is how the AI knows you have embarked units from six tiles away, even though they can see at best 3-4 tiles away.

9. Bezurn

Bezurn Prince

I've seen it plenty of times where the AI will landgrab another AI's land. It just appears that the AI does it to the human more often because that is the perspective we see most often. Also another thing I have noticed is that the AI appears to try to block other civ setters skirting its borders it has enough units to do so. I use this same tactic to block off areas of land that my culture hasn't claimed yet to secure a backfill location. The difference is I won't move my blocking units every turn, while the AI generally does, and thus it fails more often than not.

10. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I've seen the AI do it to one another before.

11. qemist

qemist Prince

Not necessarily. If settling near someone has negative diplomatic consequences (and it does for the player) then the AI should take this into account also. The AI has a bug that causes it to interpret its settling close to you as your settling close to it. Hence you see it settle close to you 100 turns after you last settled, then get angry at you for "building cities too aggressively".

I'm not sure the behavior alleged by the OP exists anyway.

12. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I mean, the AI does take it into account. If it thinks it can take you, why shouldn't it just plop down wherever it wants and yell at you to stop settling?

13. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

That should only be the case when an AI sophisticated enough to compete with the human player has been developed. Otherwise, by 'levelling out' a bad AI you need to give it massive bonuses and even then it only has the appearance of being competitive because it can pump out cities and units at a ridiculous pace.

14. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

I keel them! AI civ settlers traipsing into MY reserved settlement areas, all bold and innocent-like... "Oh, look! An open area right in between the human player's 3 cities, with *3* luxuries unclaimed! How convenient for moi!" <BANG!> Die, you rotten little settler bastidges! Mwuhahahahahaaa! And the war is on...

15. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

The AI still seem to have no regard for greater diplomacy.

16. eris

eris King

The AI is not bee-lining for you. They do it to everybody. The AI is bee-lining for territory in general. You complain about it more because we don't give the other civs logins on these forums. If we did, you'd be amazed about how they complain about the juicy city sites you keep taking.

17. Rpger29

Rpger29 Prince

Eris:

Take this situation: You have a strong start but are south of two civs. There is enough room between each of you for one city between capitals. Both AI's will likely build toward you at least 2/3 of the time.

This is against all probability, and they will take inferior settling sites in favor of squishing the player. I'd love it if a dev would weigh in and admit that AI's have a preference against the player.

Unfortunately, we can all only give anecdotal evidence (even with game saves). We just don't know all of the code involved.

18. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

That's a good anecdote Rpger. So uh, got some evidence?

19. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Well, seeing that in this game diplomacy is the continuation of war by a limited set of other means, I don't think they've done much of a terrible job really.

20. eris

eris King

I reserve the right to disagree with your perception. Their movement towards me has much more to do with what is or is not on the opposite side than whether I am on one side of them or another. They are motiviated by land grab hunger, yes. I do not see that they are aware or care if it is me coveting the land or notl. They do the same thing to each other. Without code, the burden is on you to demonstrate convincingly that this is a pattern beyond one or two memorable events that caught your attention and ire. A flood of people agreeing with you according to their individual experience would be convincing, but I haven't seen that yet.