1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI Better since last Patch?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by hatman5700, Apr 15, 2019.

1. hatman5700

hatman5700 Chieftain

I just got run over turn 50 standard, Emperor difficulty by a 450 strength Mongol Army. Scythia was 445.
    I've routinely squashed Diety games and have 1000 hours, with some wins in the 100-150 territory with peaceful as I was trying to emulate fast wins. Also have done multiplayer dom games at a fairly competitive level, and dom + religion deity wins on SP for fastest victories (dependent on map mostly I suppose... small = faster).

ANYHOW this might just be a vent post, but I literally had 2 games on EMPEROR, which is usually a formulaic cakewalk for me, where I got stomppppppppppppppppppppppppped by the AI.
    Other game was a Turn 30 war from China where I got declared (seems like China likes to surprise war very early?), and where this would normally be not bad, the AI seemed to REINFORNCE like it never has done in the past. I was attacked with 3 warrior 1 heavy chariot 1 slinger - no problem, very normal type of attack. The problem was China was spamming Heavy Chariots afterwards for the next 10-15 turns, this felt new. I feel like the AI usually makes one big force, attacks you with it - and that's the extent of their attack... their reinforcement has been historically slow.

Tell me I'm crazy or w/e talk me off this ledge, but I invoke Sumai - and the data miners to find the XML for AI to see if their brains got bigger or something and realized they can spam heavy chariots (china) or in mongol's case (horses) with their busted production to have 2 turn units all day.

I didn't get into detail of mongol, but same thing - attacked me turn 52 with 2 horses 2 spearman 1 archer 2 warriors? this is a lot but I was ready... problem was next few turns were MORE HORSES. MORE HORSES, like a human controlling it and actually producing horses nonstop.

Also noticed a bug where I could not select gold from my trade target. Target was AI controlled Khmer, was in game with multiplayer Humans + AI.

Sadness & Salt, Thanks :)

*typos in here, can't fix because too sad

RohirrimElf likes this.
  2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I got horded a couple of months back on emperor but they already had the horses. Took 2 cities then stopped. Did you fight to the end or just give up?
    They were +12/+17 against me, they gained a lot of respect then.​

3. hatman5700

hatman5700 Chieftain

I kinda gave up, I was even John Curtain and went scout > settler, campus for +3, traded off luxs, bought builder...
    started animal Husbandry > pottery > writing, then straight to horses.

Found 0 City States on my Continent, had 4 barb outposts near me, and was forward settled by scythia and mongol..

I dunno just one of those games, I think I could've dragged it out I was making 3 turn horses and 2 turn spearman from my cap with promo 2 moustache defense governor, but his horses are ******** +2emp +6 intel [trade] +3mongol horde zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

/salting :(

My problem was the turn he declared surprise war on me he one shot my '2nd' city with the horses, was only 15 defense cause I had an archer in there... =/

4. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

A few leaders deemed as Aggressive received a huge preference to focus on military units (+25%) and encampments (+50%). They will spam Encampments and build lots of units even neglecting other areas of the game.
    Monty, Alex, Cyrus, Chandra, Shaka, Genghis, Gorgo, Harald, Matthias and Suleiman.
    They will also denounce more often.

5. Bitterman

Bitterman Chieftain

Happened to me with Germany, although not to that extent. I was defending Valeta, which I was suzerain of and the guy kept throwing me wave after wave of infinite pikes, knights, coursers and some archers.

I didn't lost the war but I lost a pair of +3 promoted xbows and could have lost others if the AI wasn't so dumb sometimes.

6. Furycrab

Furycrab Chieftain

Took a break until now. Looking forward to trying it out later. The biggest change I'm happy to see how it plays out is CS getting a Wall on Deity and Immortal. Anyone know if this translates into more of them surviving the early game?

7. LMT

LMT Chieftain

I just finished a game on Deity where the AI actually tried hard to win an aid request competition.

The winning civ sent over 18K in aid. I'd never seen that before. Usually, I've been able to win them by giving 2,000 in gold (many times much less than that).

8. Bro

Bro Chieftain

One thing I think is new is the AI doing kamikaze attacks. They don't retreat if the units are low but they think they can still take the city, they just throw them into the city and sacrifice the low troops.

9. oedali

oedali Chieftain

Yes the AI is indeed better in my experience as well (Deity, no mods) which is very welcome news. Not enough to drop down a difficulty level but better nevertheless.

Prior to the latest patches I had to use 3 mods to make AI more competitive, but now I'm proud to say I ditched them all. (Free CS walls, AI+, settlers retreat)

Keep it up Firaxis!

CivLuvah likes this.
  10. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

I suggest Real Strategy mod for an (even) better AI experience...

11. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

Deity player.
    In all the games I played in 314, none of the city states (walled) ever fell to an AI. I even saw an AI squash melee units into CS walls (and losing most of its units).
    I haven't played much in 317, but I've seen an AI take down a CS early and fairly easily (didn't saw how it did it however as it was in the fog of war).
    There are no AI change listed in the patch notes of 317, so I am not sure if it is related to the hotfix or not.

12. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

I only recently got GS, so I have no pre/post patch games to compare, but the AI in GS in general seems much worse to me. I've been playing on Immortal to give myself a breather to get used to the new mechanics.

Good stuff first: trade deals feel pretty good since the patch and AIs do actually compete in emergencies. They do tend to dogpile the leader more diplomatically.

Bad stuff: AIs are neglecting district placement in my games. I let one game go to almost turn 400 and most of the AIs never built walls or reached Steel. In that particular game, I didn't see a single AI come close to a single victory type. In every game I'm top in science, culture and DV points all at once.

In GS I have never been invaded. I've played 2.5 games now and nobody has ever declared war on me.

In that same turn 400 game, I conquered the world as Dido and was still facing Galleys as the only naval resistance at the end.

13. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

That's been the most notable change. Japan put 29k into one in my current game Winning a diplo victory on Deity would be a pain now.

14. oedali

oedali Chieftain

I was not aware of that mod at all, thanks for the tip will check it out right away

15. Cedbird77

Cedbird77 Chieftain

The only way to play Civ perfectly. Big army starts. Science asap. Otherwise your vulnerable.

As soon as you see Ghengis and Scythia. Get ready. It's coming. An it's coming big and by surprise.

You see them both on your borders. Call General Patton. Going to be a long day

agonistes likes this.
  16. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

I've just run an AI auto play test of the mod with smoother diffculty deity, small pangea - and AI Frelenor won Culture Victory at turn 170... Wow...

acluewithout and oedali like this.
  17. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

They have a lot more culture generation now... It is taking longer for my tourism to finish them off (that said never finished a game post-patch until the trade hotfix came out)

Aggressive AI early... What's new? Try befriending them for a change...

18. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

19. L4Psha

L4Psha Chieftain

I was always ok with AI. But i think that something definetly changed. In the last game i saw hungary with an army i never seen before since CivV or BE. It was just carpet of units. When we declared emergency on dido and i saw it i was surprised at least. And he crushed couple of her cities very fast despite they have walls. And he was acting not that efficient in terms of siege weapons.

20. Dustbrother

Dustbrother Chieftain

Yes and it's awesome..

I was Kongo and had quite a few of the UU around my capital which bordered Hungary. After an initial invasion I thought I was pretty safe as I would have been previously on Deity. Early mid game he swamps me with the black army and took my capital very easily.

Does anyone know if the AI is throwing out large invasions in the late game? That would be AWESOME. Might even stop me losing interest. I saw someone post a pic on the Facebooks of them getting rolled by eight GDR.

This is really exciting..