[AI] Brazil's Terrible Tourism Output

bane_

Howardianism High-Priest
I'm playing a game on a Large world, Continents, Emperor as the Mayans.
One of the AI players is Brazil. I expected him to be dominating the game because he was the only one going for Tourism, so he could get most Wonders that benefitted exclusively that win condition, BUT...
I was looking at the Tourism tab and they have only 20 tourism; we are already at the Modern Era, he is Influential over the Mongols (poor bastards) because they have a(n even more) terrible culture output than Brazil's Tourism.
What is worse, Pacal has 50 Tourism! HOW?
I've got around 10-16 just from Musicians, so it doesn't make much sense that Brazil only have a little more than that.

First I thought it could be a miscalculation on AI's part of some sorts, but seeing that Pacal has more than double of Brazil that can't be the case.

Has anyone had any similar situation?

Unless you almost focus on tourism exclusively anyone will be generating low tourism. On the other hand if you do beeline the techs and open the necessary SP in the correct order you will be able to wonder whore all the cultural wonders.
The AI seems to always concentrate on units regardless whoever it is(except on the few occasions I've seen Korea focus entirely on science to his cost). Couple with the fact the AI rarely plays the long game and denounces/DOW at the first opportunity rather than bide it's time.
It could be Brazil has either another VC in mind or is being cuaght up in some conflict or the other.

AI Brazil has a hard time dealing with its own Jungle start bias. In my experience, it means he never grows properly, can't get things built, and is often squished by someone else in the neighborhood.

Even when I dont focus on tourism, I build the guilds early just to make sure I have enough culture for policies. This, late game becomes a lot of tourism. The only way to avoid high tourism with this is to not build hotels/airports, but then you become unhappy from pressure.

I just played and won my first deity victory (yay), a culture victory as Poland. Brazil was in my game and he had more tourism than me the whole game and even became influential over me. I still won though because he didn't have high tourism multipliers with other civs (open borders, trade routes, etc.)

AI Brazil has a hard time dealing with its own Jungle start bias. In my experience, it means he never grows properly, can't get things built, and is often squished by someone else in the neighborhood.

This also makes him the best neighbor ever. He can't fight you, he can't compete with you, he just sits there and waits for you to send caravans.

This also makes him the best neighbor ever. He can't fight you, he can't compete with you, he just sits there and waits for you to send caravans.

Crickey. That makes an Earth map Inca even scarier than when they only had the Andes and Cerro de Potosi in their start area.

I tried out Brazil once and got to generate up to approx 1200-1400 TPT with Brazil using the carnival, internet and maybe the international games' first place bonuses. This happened to me awhile back ago as Brazil which cause the neighbor, Pocatello to DoW me. I think I had a 15 turn golden age (with carnival) so I could only imagine how much tourism went to the other AIs.

They are dominating, they have more cities than anybody except Pachacuti (of course) and have the 3rd bigger army the last time this study showed up.
Maybe, as a poster said, he is trying a Diplomatic Victory then, because he is sending Diplomats (Mod) to every city-state I can see.

Still, was disheartening to see him doing so poorly, it takes a bit of pride from my (incoming) victory. :(

And he might be kind enough to build you some Brazilwood camps for inclusion into your empire :)

He's also quite the friendly chap most of the time. He had different ideology, I attacked one of his friends, but he's still okay with making a DoF. I'm tempted into voting him for World Leader...

Top Bottom