AI breaking rules/behaving oddly regarding religion.

Peng Qi

Emperor
In my current game, I've been playing as the Clan of Embers following Runes of Kilmorph. At one point, I crushed Sheaim and burned the Ashen Vale holy city (which did almost nothing to the Armageddon counter, oddly). I conquered all of their other cities that had Vale in them and used inquisitors to purge the religion from their land, then subjugated them and gave the land back to them.

Sheaim currently has no Ashen Vale cities, but they didn't convert. I had no option to ask them to in diplomacy, either. I waited dozens of turns and eventually got frustrated and tried to figure it out. At first I thought it was because they were using Sacrifice the Weak, but I was able to force that to change through diplomacy. No dice; still no option to ask them to convert. I thought it might be because she was at war. Nope, peace was declared and still no option.

At this point I got really aggravated and looked for a save game editor online, of which there appears to be none for BtS. Eventually I found out about the debug tool, but that doesn't appear to function; any change I try to make to an AI's civics or religion gets applied to MY civics and religion instead. This didn't matter, ultimately, as even in the debug tool Sheaim has no ability to change religion. Every single religion says "Cannot Convert to [x]," except for "no religion" which, when I try to toggle her into it, toggles it for me instead.

Using the debug tool, I noticed something really weird. Sabathiel had converted to Order...but he had no cities that followed that religion; he had only Runes cities (he had founded Runes), Octopus Overlords cities, Empyrean cities, and Fellowship cities. Basium had done the same thing, although ended up with an Order city later. Neither of them could change to certain religions; neither could convert to Empyrean, which seemed odd to me. Neither could convert to Runes of Kilmorph, either. I figured maybe they were locked into Order for some in-game reason, but then I noticed that Sabathiel COULD convert to Octopus Overlords.

Faeryl Viconia, meanwhile, had converted to Council of Esus and couldn't convert out of it, either. This was especially odd as she had founded the Fellowship of Leaves which had already spread to all of her cities, but couldn't convert back to it.

Lanun was also stuck, but they're stuck on Octopus Overlords, which doesn't bother me and makes perfect sense because it's the only religion present in all of their cities. Again, though, they had cities of other religions but could not convert. Likewise, Luchuirp is stuck on Runes but that doesn't bother me either.

So is this all WAD? Am I missing something? And if not, what's going on and is there any way to fix it? I believe I'm on patch n and haven't had any version BUT patch n installed on this machine.

Just to clarify, when you refer to the debug tool, do you mean the Worldbuilder (accessed via the in-game menu that comes up when you hit the escape key)?

Top Bottom