1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI builds worthless cities

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Harre, May 20, 2004.

1. Harre

Harre Chieftain

Why tries the computer constantly to build worthless cities in the tundra, dessert etc... The AI players have approx 10-20 one citizen cities all around the world.. I have destroyed a dozen already but the computer keeps rebuilding them.. I don't see the logic to build such useless city when there are much more suitable places...

Human players stop expanding its empire after a certain point and after that most cities are conquered instead... I would like to see the computer to do the same because it's not so realistic that new cities are founded in the modern times.. maybe the settlers should cost more or something..

I hope they will make the ai smarter than rushing out cities in civ4... a five-year-old can make advancer moves...

2. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Chieftain

at least once you get to regent the AI bothers to get their cities above pop 2 and with some culture.

3. SesnOfWthr

SesnOfWthr True Believer

The logic? It's easy. Many times the AI settles those cities because it already knows where the resources will pop up. Especially if it keeps getting resettled, try putting your own city and see if you don't get some saltpeter or oil somewhere down the line.....

4. Sukenis

Sukenis the J'BOOtian Warlord

The AI knows where all resources are from the first turn on. Thus the AI will send out settlers to spots that appear to be worthless, but later on will have oil, iron, saltpeter, rubber, etc later on. It is a cheat, but you can tell where future resources will be at as well (by watching the odd AI setter habits).

Arrr. beat me to it.

5. Harre

Harre Chieftain

Ok I will try that later I have a warlord game to finish first... I think it's a bit to easy but it's fun to be the greatest... :king:

6. Harre

Harre Chieftain

I would build a colony instead of a city because you can't get anywhere with a 15+ squares ice or desert city.

7. Choicest One

Choicest One Chieftain

And I always thought the AI was just greedy for land :lol:

8. Gumby78

Gumby78 Franchise Tag

Colonies are not always a good idea. The AI will put a city next your colony thus taking away that resource from you.

9. SolarKnight

SolarKnight Guardian of the Balance

They aren't completely useless on tundra, at least they still generate shields and commerce, so if you have no space left over except tundra, build cties there, and while they may be slow to grow, they will eventually be adding to your commerce and can still create units in case you need them.

10. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

And any city can produce culture.

11. tofe99

tofe99 SGL

Just try once a civ with agricultural trait, and irrigate the desert... Hmmm. It will turn out to be 'delicious' land...

12. rychan

rychan CS geek

couldn't building these small cities make your good cities more corrupt?

13. Harre

Harre Chieftain

Yes, that's the reason that I don't like useless cities...

14. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Cities distant from home only make your good cities more corrupt in Communism. A city built further from your capital than any good city has absolutely no effect on the good city in any other government. And corruption is so low in Communism in the current C3C patch that it's not a worry even then.

Why do people complain about something intelligent the AI actually does as though it were a weakness? More cities are almost always a good thing.

Arathorn

15. Ision

Ision Master

I cannot agree more!

Ision

16. Harre

Harre Chieftain

But the computer often defnds the city with spearmans because it have no roads so they can use their salpeter to build musketmans... so the cities is very easily conqured. In my game I conqured 15 cities with just one cavalary. After that the computer wanted peace and I got five of their cities in the peace treaty, he has only 3 cities left now..

17. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Ahh....so your complaint is that the AI doesn't defend its cities well enough. That's a different issue. And that can easily be solved by playing a reasonable difficulty level. The AI will eventually get defenders and a road network to its cities, but it's a bit slower at that -- especially when you cripple it by forcing it to pay exhorbitant prices.

City defense isn't necessarily one of the AI's greatest strengths, especially for border cities, so that's a reasonable criticism -- but you should figure out what the problem is before you put your foot too far into your mouth....

Arathorn

18. Taé Shala

Taé Shala Chieftain

19. DJMGator13

DJMGator13 Not playing enough Civ

I use tundra towns as permenant worker factories. A size 1 tundra city with a granary can use a forest or mined tile and will usually produce +1f +1s (due to corruption). Makes for a nice constant 10 turn worker factory that requires no micromanagement. If you have or can capture the Pyramid the granary is built for you.

20. Harre

Harre Chieftain

Ok.. I will try a harder difficulty level after my current game...

It's quite interesting that the computer build a single city far away from his main empire because it's no more room left at his main empire...