AI city founding

nody

Emperor
Can I change the preference of certain city sites for certain civs?

I really miss the Germans founding Hamburg and especially Wien once in a while and I really hate them founding Graz or Budapest all the time (especially Graz).

Okay, I once saw them founding Laibach (1S of Graz), but that's it.

Also, if Frankfurt gets razed (in 600AD scenario) nobody fills the empty spots there. Instead Germany usually founds Hamburg (the only times they found Hamburg) and I never see France founding Mayence or Netherlands founding Luxemburg for example.

Can I change that behavoir and how?

Thanks for any help...

This sounds like a C++ job to me...

For scenario purposes I just spawned the all German cities where I wanted them, but this is clearly what you asked for.

I don't want to have the same cities all the time, but more chance of certain cities to be founded (I never see Wien and Hamburg (if Frankfurt ISN'T razed) and the 'razed Frankfurt' space to be filled by either France, Germany or Netherlands.

Which file determines what tiles are prefered for city founding by civ? Maybe I can change some myself.

I can only think of the settler maps, but those are in the SDK and currently beyond my own scope.

Yeah that's all in the settler maps in the SDK. It's not very readable though, just a number for every tile separated by a comma. You have to get the coordinates of the tile you want and then change the number for that civ at that spot in Rhyes.cpp.

I think there's also something for how far apart a civ will keep their cities and things like that in CvInfos.cpp, but if you're looking for just specific cities the settler maps are the place to go.

Yeah that's all in the settler maps in the SDK. It's not very readable though, just a number for every tile separated by a comma. You have to get the coordinates of the tile you want and then change the number for that civ at that spot in Rhyes.cpp.

I think there's also something for how far apart a civ will keep their cities and things like that in CvInfos.cpp, but if you're looking for just specific cities the settler maps are the place to go.

Thanks! :goodjob:

Well, if you can stomach spawning cities (as opposed to having the AI found them with Settlers) those spawns could have random elements to them. Like the code runs a master list of all major German cities with founding dates, and there is some chance of any of these to spawn on the historical date. And if the spot is already taken (another city blocking the spawn) - then it won't happen. This setup would also make sure that there are no gaps on the map because the AI don't wanna build cities too close to other cities...

If you make such a list I'll provide you with the finished mod. But you'd have to do all the testing. :D

Maybe i can help with this list...:scan:
Spoiler :
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_gr%C3%B6%C3%9Ften_St%C3%A4dte_Deutschlands

This is a map of towns in Germany with more than 50.000 inhabitants:
Spoiler :
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Karte_Deutschland_Städte_über_50000_Einwohner.png&filetimestamp=20090831141833

Well, the biggest cities are not always the most important, eg Magdeburg shoud be definitly in. It was one of Germany's most important cities till it was destroyed in the Thirty Years' War.

Also, if Frankfurt gets razed (in 600AD scenario) nobody fills the empty spots there. Instead Germany usually founds Hamburg (the only times they found Hamburg) and I never see France founding Mayence or Netherlands founding Luxemburg for example.

I saw France founding Mayence a few weeks ago when playing as England. :)

I saw France founding Mayence a few weeks ago when playing as England.

If that was in an unmodified RFC BTS then I thank you for giving me a bit of hope.

However, I would like to know if they founded Brest or Rennes also, since I also hate to see that area unsettled.

To stay on topic, England NOT having a city in the middle of Britain (Manchester/Newcastle/York) is also a terrible thing to see. I nowadays have to reload 600 AD 10 times (after playing a couple of dozen turns) before I am satisfied with how (especially Western) Europe is filled. I'm a history-nut and am obsessed with Western Europe being cramped with cities as it is and was since the middle ages.

Yes, I'm a little of a perfectionist and I don't like worldbuilder and I know I maybe have some sort of OCD... :p

If that was in an unmodified RFC BTS then I thank you for giving me a bit of hope.

However, I would like to know if they founded Brest or Rennes also, since I also hate to see that area unsettled.

To stay on topic, England NOT having a city in the middle of Britain (Manchester/Newcastle/York) is also a terrible thing to see. I nowadays have to reload 600 AD 10 times (after playing a couple of dozen turns) before I am satisfied with how (especially Western) Europe is filled. I'm a history-nut and am obsessed with Western Europe being cramped with cities as it is and was since the middle ages.

Yes, I'm a little of a perfectionist and I don't like worldbuilder and I know I maybe have some sort of OCD... :p

Then maybe you should save some starts.

I've saw Brest a lot when I had RFC for vanilla. Actually the French founded it every time I can recall. Other than that I often find myself dissapointed by Europes cities too. Venice particularly never seems to pop up.
I think it might be one of the reasons why RFC:E is such an attractive concept.

Edit: In the game I just started they founded Rennes, and it's even BTS!

To stay on topic, England NOT having a city in the middle of Britain (Manchester/Newcastle/York) is also a terrible thing to see.

Well they did.
I attached the savegame to answer any further questions you may have. It was also an interesting game as both Byzantium and indy Rome stayed alive longer than usual.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1490 Turn 279.CivBeyondSwordSave
    503.3 KB · Views: 29
Someone would have to plot the tile coordinates for each city also... And decide which ones to include.

IMO

If Frankfurt is razed, then it should be refounded or instead Köln/Cologne (1W,1N of Frankfurt) or Nürnberg/Nuremberg (1E) or Prag/Prague (2or3E) could be included; they were important cities in medieval times.

Wien/Vienna (1S 3or4E of Frankfurt), München/Munich (1S or 1S,1E of Frankfurt) and Königsberg/Kaliningrad (1N, 2or3E of Berlin) are also important cities for Germany's history.

To give credit to the important industry in the Ruhr area we should include Dortmund (4E of Berlin) to be founded in modern times, eg ~1800AD.

Hamburg has an important harbor and was a founding member of the Hanseatic League.

Well, it's not easy to decide which cities are to be included :confused: because there are so many which are quite important.
Many of them are too near to each other or other nations. I don't like an over crowded middle europe for game's sake. :confused:
Maybe we should have a poll about it :lol:

StuartKleinsen, those are not map coordinates... :rolleyes:

Enable cheat mode in \My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CivilizationIV.ini:
CheatCode = chipotle
Now you can hover any tile while pressing the shift key and the coordinates are shown in the tile info bar (bottom left).

Try out 3000BC. Usually Rennes/Brest is founded if France flips two Roman cities, since that leaves France with an extra settler after founding Paris. I have seen Hamburg a lot as well.

Top Bottom