1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI civs and turtle strategy

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Fermongu, Nov 10, 2018 at 7:51 AM.

1. Fermongu

Fermongu Chieftain

I have seen this configuration in XML folder:

<Define>
    <!-- Ratio of enemy power to team power for AI to consider running TURTLE (all out defense, no offensive forays) strategy. Equal power would be 100. BBAI default: 250 -->
    <DefineName>BBAI_TURTLE_ENEMY_POWER_RATIO</DefineName>
    <iDefineIntVal>130</iDefineIntVal>
    </Define>

Since default value is very far from the one actually used, and not far from equal power, I wonder if this is reason for sometimes AI being all defensive and no expanding.

Intended or oversight?

2. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I don't think that value impacts the AI's ability to settle new cities much.
    There was an issue with the enemy not defending themselves appropriately, so TB and Joe adjusted that value a couple of times 1-2 years back.
    The AI has been improved since it was adjusted so the value used currently might not be optimal.

If you do a lot of play testing, please feel free to increase the value. If you find a value you feel is better, then report back to us and explain why the new value is reasonable.
    In such a report we would expect you to reflect on how the AI defend themselves when their enemy is above the power ratio set in that global define compared to how they defend themselves when their enemy is below that power ratio.

Edit: I'll look closer on what that value does and what a high value means compared to low value.
    EditEdit:
    Ok, looking at how it is used in code.

In the event of an AI that has done badly in war or if the war has just begun (less than 10 turns into war), then this code will be processed:

If ( (all enemy power) / (The power of our team) ) is greater than ( max(150, BBAI_TURTLE_ENEMY_POWER_RATIO) )
    Start Turtle Strategy
    The dll coding has defined the minimum value for BBAI_TURTLE_ENEMY_POWER_RATIO to be 150, so the value currently set for it in XML is not the value used by the game.
    I think the AI, since it is inferior to a human player should start turtle strategy the moment the human player is equal or stronger in military might than the AI.
    A war between only AI's, would be a bit different though, but I don't think a value of 250 makes sense at all in this case.

Imo the value should be between 100-150, but since the dll has defined the minimum as 150, there might be a good reason for this.
    I don't know how the turtle strategy technically works, so maybe it is not cool to have it happen in a war prematurely.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 9:57 AM
  3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Alberts2 was the last to work on strategies and did so according to k-mod principles iirc. I don't know a thing about how the turtle strategy impacts the AI behavior really. It's a large scale strategic 'attitude' that influences choices in various places. It MIGHT influence growth but I don't think it plays much a role there.

4. Trantor

Trantor Chieftain

AI does not build armies to strike back in c2c like it does in vanilla

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

No it does need improvement, but if you were to have been here for any previous version you'd be pretty proud of how far they've come. They're doing amazingly well comparatively.

tmv and KaTiON_PT like this.