1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI diplomacy error or irrational/unfair consequence?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by kris159, Feb 26, 2011.

1. kris159

kris159 Kris P Bacon

Here's the scenario: I'm Arabia, have a defensive pact and declaration of friendship (DoF) with both Korea and the Mughal Empire (both from Hukkak Revised Extra Civs pack). Korea has not settled a single city other than it's capital, even on turn 240, and Akbar (as speculation) wants this citystate to be his.

So, Akbar declares war on Korea, forcing me to declare war on Akbar (due to the defensive pact). In essense, I was just forced to declare war with someone whom I had a declaration of friendship with. What's the penalty? Other than war, obviously, and the damage of a camel archer whilst scouting Mughal land, I get a relationship penalty to every single leader for declaring war on someone who I had a DoF with.

Is this a bug (if so can it be fixed) or is it intentional that I get penalized for trying to solidify a friendship, and the outcome is that I get beaten by an unavoidable penalty? Whilst I have good relationships with the majority of other civs, I'm sure I'll get at least one denouncement coming my way.

Anyone?

2. rlew

rlew Chieftain

Don't make a defensive pact?

3. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

A defensive pact is much more than solidifying a friendship. It is literally a commitment that if they fall under attack, you will aid them by declaring war on the attacker. If the game didn't force you to honor it, it would instead punish you by making EVERYONE distrust you, because you violated your commitment.

If you're not comfortable with that, don't sign a defensive pact.

4. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Yeah, it's not a bug, just a bad situation to get yourself in. Don't go into defensive pacts that will commit you to wars that you do not want. It would probably be better if you didn't get the penalty for declaring war, but that is by design, not a bug.

5. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

Exactly as Drawmeus said. Think of it like a contract binding you with another civ. You have to help them if someone attacks them.

But you can use that to your advantage to manipulate a civ into declaring war to another civ.

6. builer680

builer680 eats too much Taco Bell

And also... don't make Declarations of Friendship. This thread has a bit of discussion about it, and by post #12 I think it was made pretty clear. They're just not worth the trouble.

Defensive pacts aren't all that useful either, and for similar reasons. More potential trouble than they're worth imo.

7. ryan1266

ryan1266 Chieftain

The AI is really kinda stupid with the whole DoF because you HAVE to do everything they ask or else you no longer have a friend... One way relationship much?

8. Forcemaster

Forcemaster Chieftain

I had something similar when I play playing England and had Dof with America and Siam but a Defensive Pack with Russia. Russia asked me to go to war with China, and as they were seriously encroaching on my lands and had ignored demands to stop building cities near my boarders, i agreed with Russia and declared war... Now I can understand why America and Siam might denounce me at this point, but Russia asked me to go to war, denounced me and on looking at our relaitonship they consider me a warmonger... Now is THAT fair???