AI doesn´t use Sonar Promotion

Herb0815

Chieftain
Having the best naval battles of all Civ time in my current campaign, I noticed that the AI refuses to promote its navy units with the Sonar Promotion, giving me a advantage because I can defend my fleet with my submarines without having to worry about getting hit.

Is it just me being lucky, or does the AI ignore the Sonar Promotion and limit it´s own anti submarine capabilities?

With 3 - 8 submarines you can basically take out an entire fleet and then an entire civilization. With the exception of those 1 or 2 inland cities wich will fall quickly once all of the coastal cities have been defeated.

Currently I believe they are way to powerful. But in general I think Navies are way too powerful.

No I have not noticed an AI unit with Sonar. Just found that little GEM myself in my last game.

The decision about what promotions to get is handled by the game core, so it would require a core mod to properly fix. However, I can simply give the promotion to certain units, bypassing the core AI entirely. What would be good rules for this? Promote 10% of ships with sonar?

The good news is subs are visible to any units 1 tile away, so at least the AI isn't totally blind. Ironically, it is possible for a human player to see enemy subs anywhere on the map because they block movement - even when hidden. The vanilla game also lets submarines get the "land bombardment" promotion. I did fix that problem in the mod. :crazyeye:

I don't think giving sonar is enough, something has to be done about the hit-and-run nature of melee ships.
[And of course, my preferred option is to remove subs from being melee.]

Top Bottom