AI doesn't hate me for buying tiles no more

adwcta

King
Woooohoooo!

Right?

Or were Siam/Carth just being super super nice to me this game. I must have bought like 10 tiles over the course of the game straight into our mutual borders. Not a peep from either of them. Dido wasn't even my friend and coveted my territory the entire game.

Emperor difficulty.

(insert obligatory America's UA got stealth-buffed comment.)

Cathy hasn't remarked on my setting a great, fat spread of Shoshone land right in her way either. Feature or bug?

Yeah, come to think of it... I aggressively expanded 3 tiles away form Dido's 2nd city and her diplo didn't change at all (except covet my lands got more intense).

I prefer it this way though. The AI expands like that even when they love you, so it shouldn't be an automatic diplo hit. I wonder if this is personality-based or across the board change. Really affects early game diplomacy either way....

Cathy hasn't remarked on my setting a great, fat spread of Shoshone land right in her way either. Feature or bug?

On my cramped fractal map, Sweden griped at me for settling near him (great spot with lux and 4 sea resources) so I promised not to settle near him any more as there was nothing else to settle.

He never said a word when I bought a tile near his borders.

In terms of diplomacy, does the AI perceive a culture-flipped city as stolen/conquered? Or is it like settling on their borders? Or anything at all

I think it's subsumed into the 'I hate your guts because we have different ideologies' modifier. It's a VERY powerful one...

Dunno. I won a culture victory too quickly to find out! :)

someone told me to stop buying land when I did that

don't know whether that translated to anything significant

On my cramped fractal map, Sweden griped at me for settling near him (great spot with lux and 4 sea resources) so I promised not to settle near him any more as there was nothing else to settle.

He never said a word when I bought a tile near his borders.

So, this IS still in the game....

I guess now whether a civ cares if you expand into them is based either your current relations or their personality, or a mix. Interesting.....

It probably depends on the AI as well...or I'm just unlucky, as my first BNW game was a lot different than everyone's games in this thread.

Had a city near Attila and bought a chain of land towards him to claim a luxury. Next turn, he tells me to stop expanding around him, to which I agree. Turn after that, he declares war on me, takes the city, razes it, then waits until the city is completely burned down before offering me peace.

Must be an Attila thing

I settled at a wonder 5-6 tiles from dido, and she told me she was worried about my expansion, so Im not seeing any changes there.

Yes, settling cities near another civilization's region does indeed trigger the diplomatic warning.

But, like others, I haven't seen any warning for tile purchasing yet (so far), even for aggressive purchasing. For instance, I settled a city near Venice and received a warning (and gave him the defiant response), but shortly afterwards, I purchased 3 tiles to snag 2 resources near Venice's expanding borders and was never contacted.

Top Bottom