1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI Farms

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by MYE2001, Aug 5, 2017.

1. MYE2001

MYE2001 Chieftain

In my game AIs do not fill their empty plains with farms. As a result the most populous AI city has little more than 30 citizens (actually Shaka's capital had 40 but I nuked there), while my cities have 45+ population, and my capital 55. I am playing on Chieftain difficulty, but the AI does not improve on higher difficulty levels, right? It just gets more bonuses.

2. ashendashin

ashendashin King

It does improve. If you find earlier difficulties easy, bump up and you'll see the AI play better with only marginal boosts.

3. MYE2001

MYE2001 Chieftain

Until which difficulty level does the AI get better?

4. ashendashin

ashendashin King

Optimal choices get narrowed as you go up. Deity AI consistently chooses the best option out of several, while lower difficulties widen. I guess you can view it as less questionable choices as you go up.

5. Zymos

Zymos Chieftain

Personally I just wish there was a setting to turn off all AI yield bonuses and still get the best AI.

6. ashendashin

ashendashin King

If the AI only chose the best option available to them and didn't have the boosts to reach it, I think exploiting them would be too easy.

7. Dawnpromise

Dawnpromise Prince

I always wish there was a different option for adjusting the AI's 'handicap' versus the AI's Intelligence.

I'm trying to cut my teeth on King difficulty but the AI tends to overrun me before the medieval era.

Meanwhile on Prince the AI starts of fair but then falls off hard around the renaissance and never catches up.

8. Zymos

Zymos Chieftain

Would you mind providing an example of such an exploit? I am not well-versed in how the AI works at all.

That said, wouldn't the AI do the second best option if the best option was unavailable to them due to lack of resources?

9. ashendashin

ashendashin King

Simple fact is that the AI doesn't consider the human (besides their score and past behavior, like the other AI). Anything that would make sense from their standpoint could be manipulated by the player. I can't honestly give much detail on this, but even on Deity you can tell just what sort of options the AI gives you. Wonders often have the same window of availability every game, and certain beliefs can be expected to be taken in order. If the AI suddenly loses that timing, then the player is left with completely open choices since the AI can't reach that pattern of the best possible options. You can still get those choices if you're lucky on Deity, so it's still fun since it's not always the same. Remove the boosts and you just have a very straightforward AI, which might try to be efficient, but not exactly successful. Try removing all the boosts in the difficultymod xml if you think the AI will look as good as a human without them.

10. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost King

I have the same experience with King vs. Emperor. I believe this has more to do with the bonuses the AI gets than the intelligence, as the AI has the same intelligence settings on King and Emperor. The right balance between the AI being too hard to beat in the early game and falling off too much in the late game is something that everyone needs to deal with. For me, I found this balance by modifying the difficult configurations myself to create an intermediate difficulty between King and Emperor.

The difficulty configurations are in Balance Changes/Difficulty/DifficultyMod.xml. As nice as it would be to have all the configurations available in game, there's just not enough granularity with eight difficulty levels to have the right balance for everyone. So anyone seeking a difficulty outside the standard configurations could try modifying the configurations themselves. I play on King, with all the various AI percent modifiers reduced from 90 to 85. (And removed the AI's extra starting units, as a matter of personal preference.)
    The AI intelligence is set under the CityProductionNumOptionsConsidered, TechNumOptionsConsidered, and PolicyNumOptionsConsidered settings: Setting each of them to 1 will make the AI always make the optimal choice by its consideration.

vyyt, polinices and Dawnpromise like this.