1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI friendship and trade

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Uniform Sierra, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Uniform Sierra

Uniform Sierra Warlord

Hello leaders of nations ;) /geek

So, as usual I play a game and become friends with just about every civilization. Then what happens is those jerks request huge amounts of gold and luxury resources which I cannot refuse or they become hostile.

Seriously, WTF?!

Also, I like how the devs make them all kind and pleading "Oh your majesty your empire is an example to us all, can you spare us a little gold?" How do I make such requests? Trade or demand? If I demand they get pissed and if I trade they said it's an uneven trade.

On a side note, if my capital isn't built next to the ocean and I have cities and that are, can I connect those cities with the capital with a trade route and then build a harbor in that city to connect it with a city that's on the ocean and too far for a trade route via land?

In other words, harbor -> harbor -> road to capital

thanks

2. Babri

Babri Emperor

:yup:

3. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

It's the price you pay for not going to war. Kinda sucks, but there are alternative costs in going to war (i.e. you can't make any trades with the AI). If you're strong, then you who cares if they are hostile? And if you are weak, well then maybe it's a good idea to give in to the demands.

4. vexing

vexing knows

deny friendship requests. problem solved.

5. SpearMan153

SpearMan153 Prince

The closest you can get to begging is going to the trade screen (so don't demand that's rude) and putting something on their side and nothing on your side and going Propose deal. If you're not asking for too much and the ai likes you enough in theory they may say yes (worked for me sometimes in civ4 anyway) - like you haven't seen this for myself yet. Anyone out there ever gotten a handout from ai in civ5?

I'll usually give the ai what they want to maintain the friendship unless they are asking for something ridiculous like thousands of gold and all my luxuries Usually they only beg when they are doing poorly (running -ve gpt) so I haven't found this too much of an issue.

6. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Chieftain

Remember that being pals with a nation means you can constantly milk them for generous trade deals - keep selling those open borders and spare luxuries. Since their requests are fairly rare I think you end up considerably up on the bargain.

7. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Yeah, but fot that you don't need Declaration Of Friendship, it suffice if the AI is Friendly with you. Also, Civ4 was good game, in Civ5 asking for small favours never works. So basically what vexing said - yet another thing in Civ5 that you don't do :rolleyes:

8. Uniform Sierra

Uniform Sierra Warlord

I'm a big trader. I love trading my luxury resources. I generally trade one luxury resource for 300 gold or another luxury resource. That's a huge benefit for me, since I like to use that money to buy influence with city-states.

If I refuse a friendship request, what does that entail for myself? I never have refused a friendship request. I would assume they get angry and turn guarded or hostile.

9. vexing

vexing knows

there is no direct negative penalty for denying a friendship request, they just say "perhaps some other time."

being friends does give positive influence for a time with that particular civ, but it also gives negative influence with anyone that doesn't like them. overall it's usually not worthwhile because currently everything snowballs and everyone ends up hating you. the upcoming patch that'll have them expire might change this.

you might be interested in checking one of the leader traits threads (or the leaders xml) you can see things like their "neediness," which determines how likely they are to beg you. gandhi for example is the leader most likely to request friendship, and one of the most likely to beg after being friends, with a strong hatred for war mongers and is perfectly willing to denounce you if he doesn't like you... suleiman on the other hand is reasonably loyal, doesn't mind you declaring wars, and has a low neediness, making him a much better friend.

10. Yzman

Yzman Deity

Nothing happens. It doesn't affect your standing with them negatively in any way.

11. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Chieftain

True, but DoFing them helps maintain that Friendly status and thus keep them a profitable market for your goods.

12. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

While alienating other potential trading partners that are turning Guarded/Hostile due to "You've signed DoF with their enemies!". I guess it depends if you're DoFing warmongers or not... Btw anyone else have noticed how extremely rare it is for the AI to agree to sign DoF when asked from "Discuss" section of negotiating table? That option could as well not even be there xP

13. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Declarations of Friendship != Friendly relations with the AI in Civ V.

They are instead an open invition for the AI to ask you for gifts.
    In addition, you are expected to denounce the same civs your "friend" denounces and also agree to go to war with the same civs your "friend" does.
    Really an extremely bad idea to have declarations of friendships with more than one AI.