AI Great Prophets diplo.

I told you an active way to stop what you were complaining about and then you changed what you were complaining about. That is what people have the issue with.

And while I would like the option to tell them to stop, it doesn't really matter. It wouldn't affect anything. I can tell them to stop spying, but they just do it anyway and I get a diplo hit for it. So I see no reason for the option.

And what happens when you ask and they ignore it? You're still back to square one where you're going to have to do what I already said anyway - get inquisitors. The AI doesn't 'respect' your requests, so if you want to fix this 'problem' you need to fix them all, and it just doesn't seem likely. You can ask them not to settle, they'll still do whatever they want, only you just gave yourself a negative modifier for no reason. You can ask them not to spy, they'll still do whatever they want, only you just gave yourself a negative modifier.

By the way, there are other situations you can't repeat either. You can't tell them to gtfo of your borders with their armies. You can't tell them to leave the city-states you're buddying up with alone.

You have the tools in place to already deal with this situation, but you want to make some intense changes to the game instead. Buy a few inquisitors early when costs are low and station them appropriately to deal with the situation. Declare war, capture and delete the prophets, destroy the other civs, spread your own GP's around to beat back with massive pressure, settle addtional cities to increase pressure, refuse open borders to kill off normal missionaries, etc. etc.

but calling it "laziness", "stupidity", being flat-out wrong about inquisitor prevention, fallacious, and attacking other people doesn't really help your argument

Missionaries really shouldn't completely flip a city in one use. Especially not a holy city. Yet that's often exactly what happens. It's especially terrible when you're relying on something like Desert Folklore to generate faith and then your faith generation gets knee-capped.
Missionaries shouldn't be as successful against cities with established religions(at least, they shouldn't be able to wipe out other religions entirely). They should target citizens without religion first and then convert a few people of the majority religion. Only prophets should be able to nuke other religions away.

I do think they should add this as an option for the player.

Also, when an AI agrees to any kind of request like stop spying on us or stop converting our cities, they shouldn't be able to do it anyways. It should be blocked for at least 10-20 turns, just like declaring war is blocked during a peace treaty.

It's bad game design when the AI can do whatever they want to because it makes the option to ask them completely pointless.

And I do believe that the "don't settle near us" option works as intended.

And what happens when you ask and they ignore it? You're still back to square one where you're going to have to do what I already said anyway - get inquisitors. The AI doesn't 'respect' your requests, so if you want to fix this 'problem' you need to fix them all, and it just doesn't seem likely. You can ask them not to settle, they'll still do whatever they want, only you just gave yourself a negative modifier for no reason. You can ask them not to spy, they'll still do whatever they want, only you just gave yourself a negative modifier.
At least in that case you have casus belli, which could/would/should negate a potential diplomatic hit when you decide to take a bit more aggressive action.

At least in that case you have casus belli, which could/would/should negate a potential diplomatic hit when you decide to take a bit more aggressive action.

There is no such thing for any situation in the game. Declaring war adds to your warmongering, the AI doesn't care why you do it. Capturing cities and razing them adds to it even when you are the one declared on.

Missionaries really shouldn't completely flip a city in one use. Especially not a holy city. Yet that's often exactly what happens. It's especially terrible when you're relying on something like Desert Folklore to generate faith and then your faith generation gets knee-capped.
Missionaries shouldn't be as successful against cities with established religions(at least, they shouldn't be able to wipe out other religions entirely). They should target citizens without religion first and then convert a few people of the majority religion. Only prophets should be able to nuke other religions away.

FYI missionaries don't flip a city which is following a religion, they are really bad at converting followers of other major religions. They can convert pantheon followers easily though which makes sense both from historical & gameplay perspective.

The problem discussed in this topic is that AI brings Great Prophets to convert ur cities to their religion & there is no way to make them understand that u don't like it.

There needs to be a way, and any AI who ignores it takes a global diplo hit.

And it would contribute to a (currently non-existant) casus beli system.

Just like there needs to be a way to tell an AI stay away from neighboring CS's, and to get his units the hell away from my borders.

One of the biggest flaws in this extraordinary game is the total breakdown of gameplay-equality between the player and the AI. The game can only throw these inequalities in a player's face so many times before it becomes clear that the game is really just the player playing against himself, and the AI is just there to be a ******ed military-unit-spam factory.

I agree though with the concept.

I see nothing wrong with telling the AI to stop spreading their religion to you. I just don't see much of an effect like the other "stop spying, settling, etc" sayings.

Nothing wrong with including it though.

I agree it seems that if they've already given you a don't spy on my or don't settle near me button you should also have a don't convert my cities button. The actual effectiveness of those buttons though makes this a less appealing though. Allowing inquisitors to capture opposing prophets would be a decent solution, with the option of returning them with a warning and a diplo hit, or killing them for a large hit. Prophets do seem somewhat over powered to me. 3 full city flips, even on a founding city seems excessive. I also dislike the fact that I'm not notified a prophet has entered my borders. If its later in the game and I have a large empire I usually find out about the prophet once he flips a city.

Top Bottom