1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI ignoring UN on Monarch and above?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Toshiro126, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Toshiro126

Toshiro126 Warlord

Finally moved up to Monarch recently. Has anyone else noticed, or maybe it is just the few games that I played, that the AIs have no interest in building the United Nations?

In one game I was building the spaceship, and was well on my way to victory. I had a ton of gold left over, so I looked to see if there were any wonders left. And there was the UN. Next few games, there it was again, although most of the AI civs had the Mass Media tech, none of them seemed to be interested in building it, although they would have had PLENTY of time to do so. Is this a common feature of the higher levels of difficulty? Does the AI lose interest in diplomatic victories or passing resolutions as you move up in difficulty? (and I play with all victory conditions on, so it's not like diplomatic victory was unchecked....)

2. BubbaYeti

BubbaYeti Warlord

I just finished a monarch game. The game came down to me (Napoleon) and Mali in a space race. Mali did build the UN, so I think one of the AI's will build it eventually even on higher levels. I ended up beating them to the last space ship part by 4 turns (thanks to spy sabotage). This was the first monarch game I have won without significant warmongering.

3. Toshiro126

Toshiro126 Warlord

On Monarch, I've realized the importance of spy sabotage. VERY useful tool...

4. BubbaYeti

BubbaYeti Warlord

I agree. People think that it its too expensive, because directly sabotaging a space ship part's production costs thousands of gold. I just identify the cities where the ai is building the most expensive parts, and sabotage their hammer improvements (mines, watermills etc.) at 200 gp a pop. That plus taking out their strategic rescources (aluminum, etc.).

by the way, I LOVE your signature quote!

5. Toshiro126

Toshiro126 Warlord

Thanks on the quote. It seems totally appropriate for this game. :goodjob:

6. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

People seem to be more aggressive and hate each others more and more on higher levels so no one has enough friends to win the diplomatic victory. However they (me included) still build the UN sometimes, but too late when the game is practically over and above all, just for fun

7. Debith

Debith Chieftain

It may not be the first prioirity for AI to build it on monarch level, but sure they build it. Thanks to that I managed to win a diplomatic victory in an otherwise lost game.