AI ignoring walls?

kingofsealand

Warlord
Has anyone else had games where the AI just chooses to build no walls even when clearly needed?

My first few games of R&f this wasn't the case everyone built them at seemingly logical times. In my current Scotland game I started on a continent with Brazil and the Netherlands. I wanted a peaceful game focused on amenities but both decided to rush me with warrior/archer armies.

The strange thing is, while they did an alright job in their initial attacks and kept pumping out units they never built walls, even in their capital. Even when i had taken 3 of Wilhelminas cities and left her with 2 she continued trying to build wonders and units, ignoring walls.

Neither of them ever built any walls before I wiped them out, except for Brazil who built walls in a single city, their colony of manaus that they tried to settle off continent to escape me. When I was clearly their enemy the entire game, why did neither build even ancient walls in the 5 odd cities they had on my continent? Has anyone else noticed this behavior? I noticed this is the first game i have had with Georgia on the map and wondered if that somehow made a difference.

I noticed this in my very first game. I still see the AI not building enough walls on the middle difficulty levels, I believe they do on higher ones because they obviously have plenty of production to do so.

The AI seems to prioritize commercial hubs a lot more than I've seen pre R & F. All well and good, but they should at least get ancient walls up.

What are you talking about? On King, several playthrough, they build walls all the time.

On the contrary I've seen AI with medieval strength walls by 800BC (strength 40 cities).

What I have noticed is that the AI rarely bothers with siege units, and neither do I for that fact, although when I did deliberately try to build them in one game they were very effective. There's just too much other stuff to build though and having more fighting units is almost always better than more support units, at least until balloons/drones.

Guess this is unique to my most recent game then. I didn't notice it in any other game in R&F only this playthrough as Scotland. Brazil and the Netherlands simply never built walls the first walls Brazil did build he built in one city post turn 200. (Epic)

What are you talking about? On King, several playthrough, they build walls all the time.

I've had it happen once too, next door neighbour Australia didn't have any walls well into the renaissance. That was on king or emperor.

Top Bottom