1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] AI improvements you noticed

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by GoodSarmatian, Feb 8, 2018.

1. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian A mad God's dying dream

So, I've posted in a few threads and mentioned that the AI is now overly aggressive against city states.
    This thread is not about that. It's about another apparent change, one that's not bad. I've found it harder to stay ahead in tech and culture than in vanilla and just attributed it to the research cost increase for techs/civics of advanced eras...
    In my second game I had the Zulu as my neighbor, and after they tried to attack a city state I thought "No more Mr Nice Guy" and took them out as one does (which is probably always a good idead with the Zulu).
    Now look what I found when I took Ulundi:

Spoiler :

I don't think I've ever seen such good district placement from the AI. The distance from the city tile also suggests that Shaka bought some tiles just to build the Campus there.

Also, Shaka has one of the coolest final messages when you defeat him.
    "You may have ended my reign, but I will live on in your nightmares."

Attached Files:

2. Starwars

Starwars Chieftain

Also, and this is a wild guess, with Eurekas and Inspiration probably being quite hard for the AI to pursue effectively, them being reduced to 40% will probably work in the AI's favor.

But yeah, that is nicely done.

Thormodr likes this.
  3. Uncle_Joe

Uncle_Joe Chieftain

So far, the AIs have been extremely aggressive towards City States, but have been amazingly friendly to me and the other Civs.

But they are definitely being more competitive on tech. I'm hoping that this will contribute to some actual threat from the AIs farther along in the game.

Thormodr likes this.
  4. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

I still get a joint declaration of war against me from random people who have no grudge with me every 40 turns or so. They don't do anything becuase they're on the other side of the earth, I wait 10 turns, and then we peace out. I was hoping the new expansion would stop these annoying constant join wars on me.

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  5. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

Is the AI ever declaring war on other civ's outside of the too-frequent joint-war delcarations (that are more about the AI treating the joint-war as a trade good than it is about invasion)?

sanchopanda likes this.
  6. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

That change dates to at least a patch ago, maybe more. In all my recent pre-R&F games city states have been dropping like flies. I don't mind increased AI aggression against them, but they should update the number of early units CSes build to improve their ability to defend themselves.

That placement is impressive indeed - I'm still wondering if the AI behaviour now takes maximising era score into account. If so it could have been prompted to place a campus there to get the era score bonus for having a high adjacency-bonus district.

You or someone else has asked this before, but in my experience it's never been an issue. In my last (pre-patch) game civs were endlessly declaring solitary wars on one another - China on Egypt, Persia on Rome, in multiple permutations. Early on Rome took several Chinese cities, though territory rarely changed hands in any later wars and the interminable Rome/Persia spats never resulted in anything more aggressive than a couple of units from one side moving into the other's borders. Even when I was assisting the Persians in an active attack on Roman Beijing the Persian units made no effort to attack the city.

There was the odd joint war, but one-on-one wars vs. powers of comparable strength were more common.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  7. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

The AI seems to be doing a much better job of keeping up. I've also seen it using navies effectively (I almost lost a city to Lautaro's ironclads), putting cities under siege, using targetted spy missions to disrupt governors and spawn partisans. Overall the AI has seen a lot of improvement.

Ondolindë and ChocolateShake like this.
  8. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I assume that getting a joint declaration of war from a civ that doesn't hate you (or even likes you) means that the other civ in the joint probably bribed them to join.

9. Japper007

Japper007 Chieftain

The patch notes did say something about AI being better at pursuing adjacency. I've also seen them be less gung ho about religion (beyond the guys that are supposed to be zealots ofc) Maybe that's also behind them keeping up? If their flavor for HS get reduced next up is Campuses.

Thormodr likes this.
  10. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

I'm so damn tired of those stupid joint wars that I'll download the mod that disables it for my next game. Current game, AI literally spams joint war. They'll peace out with one civ and instantly enter a joint war with a random other civ next turn. My friendship with civ X will end, and if I don't immediately renew it, they'll joint war me on next turn, even if we have huge positive modifiers. Bloody stupid.

Also, yeah what others said: AI will compulsively DoW city states next to them.

ZubieMaster and sanchopanda like this.
  11. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

How is an AI bribing another AI to do a joint war any different from the player doing the same thing though? Seems fine to me, just deal with it and smash them both.

Thormodr and sonicmyst like this.
  12. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

I wouldn't mind joint war if AI seemed to give just a little consideration as to who they targeted. But they don't. In fact, it seems like any joint war offer has value to them to an extent that they'll offer YOU gold to make a joint war with them against a target that it's clearly in YOUR interest to attack.

leandrombraz and sanchopanda like this.
  13. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

I had a chance to watch Scotland in action against Geneva - for a long time, because the Civ V issue where the AI would bring only ranged units to the party has resurfaced.

The AI evidently produces many more ranged units than it did and attacks with larger forces - Robert had seven archers surrounding Geneva at one point (and more visible elsewhere). Geneva's response demonstrates that the AI does have the advertised capability to coordinate fire, though it still can't coordinate ranged and melee attacks - when it had two ranged units it would use them appropriately to focus on a single target, and the Scottish archers did the same in return when there was an archer outside the city. Geneva had a ranged unit garrisoned at all times and used it every turn (though this was a city without walls, and walls seem to mess with garrison behaviour or did in past patches). Most impressively, when Geneva had a severely damaged archer outside the city and a healthy one inside, it switched their positions to conserve both units as best it could.

The downside is that Geneva was a pointless Scottish target - it was well within my borders and doomed to flip within a few turns of being taken, as it finally was. The AI could at least have recognised that and razed the city.

City-state massacres were a thing in the last patch or two, but it does seem they may have been ramped up even further - probably more a result of the new coding that supposedly helps the AI take cities than any change in AI aggression.

14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Last night I just had two civs on another continent joint war me and I'm not even sure either of them can go through the ocean yet.

plus likes this.
  15. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

No-one has declared war on me yet in my current game. This certainly doesn't match up with my past experiences, but I am playing Prince, and I normally play King, so the apparently lower aggression could just be down to that. It's also pretty early in the game still, and my neighbours are Chandi (who has just forward settled me) and Shaka (who has just taken La Venta which borders my third city) so I'm sure my time will come :shifty:

Poundmaker has just declared war on Hattusa. He's sent three(? possibly more, can't see the full area) units over, including two archers, but may very well not take it as the city is bordered on one side by mountains and on the other by the ocean, with only a couple of land tiles to attack from.

steveg700 likes this.
  16. Mojo85

Mojo85 Chieftain

The City States start with walls mod was one of the best mods I had. Made sure that city states don’t get bum rushed early and are actually around by the mid game. Wonder if it will work with R&F cause it worked flawless with vanilla

Krajzen likes this.
  17. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

It's in my game. Tamar wants Pericles head on a spike and she might actually get it. She already declared war twice, got cities both times. Spain declared war on Brazil (or it was Brazil on Spain?), no joint wars so far,only one on one.. I'm chilling behind some mountains, entertaining the idea of saving Péricles' neck if it come to that.

steveg700 likes this.
  18. Magil

Magil Monarch

I mean, yeah, I had a very early Formal War from Spain in my 2nd game as Zulu. We started very close to each other and he rushed me with a lot of units. Of course I saw this coming and had plenty of slingers with Archery 1 turn away from finishing and insta-upgraded to an Archer swarm to defend, but it was an actual Formal War, not a Joint War. Scotland apparently will give you an agenda warning if your neighbor declares war on you though.

steveg700 likes this.
  19. Shorlin

Shorlin Chieftain

I'm in the middle of a knight timing attack on deity and have been fairly impressed with AI defense, they seem a lot better at picking off injured units.
    I've taken 2 cities and almost run out of steam, they have victor in one of the remaining cities which puts it way out of range for my knights. I'll sue for peace and see if loyalty pressure can finish them off.

I've still got that feeling the game is already won though, have to wait for late game and see if they are better at pushing victories

20. Cerilis

Cerilis Rena the Cleaver Girl

Civ 5 - paying off the AI to attack another AI: Perfectly legit.
    Civ 6 - the AI paying off another AI to attack the player together: IMPOSSIBRUUUU