AI "insulted" by better peace deal

Eddisan

Chieftain
When making peace with the AI, I've noticed a few times that if you add anything to your side of the ledger other than just PEACE TREATY, the AI suddenly goes from "probably acceptable" to "insulted" -- even though youre just making the deal sweeter for them... what's up with that? Is this always true or is my AI just extra stupid?

It could be that you are offering them more gold per turn than you are actually making, they don't like that ;)

Are you sure it is 'Insulted' rather than 'They will never accept this deal'? If so, then there'll be a few more reasons why they would act like this :)

well it could be "never accept," but it happens when im trying to get a few more techs or cities out of them for the peace treaty... The deal is acceptable, but then if I try to expand the deal by say throwing in a tech of my own, the AI wont accept it, even before i add anymore demands to their side of the ledger. i figure it has to be a glitch or something

It's to prevent exploits. The AI doesn't quite value cities in an intelligent-enough way, so it will never accept any deal that has a city on one side and anything besides peace treaty on the other. The AI isn't the most intelligent, but it is awfully good in many ways.

Arathorn

It's no glitch :)
There used to be an exploit in which you could ask for cities in return for a peace treaty, the exploit being that you could add money and techs to your side of the deal, and basically just buy their cities from them --- for relatively cheap.

In a patch (a while ago), they made it so that the AI would never accept any deal which involved you giving them anything, besides a peace treaty, for a city.

Hope that helps :)

Edit: Too slow

That's no so much a "fix" as a "dirty hack"

It's ridiculous to offer someone their old city and they would "never accept" giving you 1 gold for it.

It's likewise ridiculous that they value their own stupid 1 pop city on a tundra island more than YOUR ENTIRE EMPIRE.

"fix" would be to give the AI reasonable concepts of value for cities.

Well i guess they did it becouse of realism......you don't expect Germany to sell Munich to France in the real life don't you ;)

i've also noticed strange happenings when it comes to offering extra money. A few times I've needed cash on hand to hurry production so have offerred more in per turn value than lump sum eg

civ was happy to accept 3100 for a tech but if i made that 2900 + 30 per turn they went from accepting to 'insulted'.

actually increased this per turn value to something ridiculous (like 200 per turn) just to test and they were still insulted.

is it possible that a civ intends to attack you in the near future and therefore values by turn payments as worthless?

is it possible that a civ intends to attack you in the near future and therefore values by turn payments as worthless?

Nope, they still will accept gpt deals even if they are going to attack you. This is quite a nice 'exploit', as if you can see that the AI are about to attack you, just buy everything they have with a Gold Per Turn deal, and you won't lose any money :D

The reason why they were insulted, is either that you weren't making 30gpt (if you are using C3C), and/or your reputation is bad. You might have made a deal earlier on which involved you giving the AI gpt for a lump sum of something (Gold/tech), and then broken the deal before the 20 turns were up :)

Gainy bo said:
Nope, they still will accept gpt deals even if they are going to attack you. This is quite a nice 'exploit', as if you can see that the AI are about to attack you, just buy everything they have with a Gold Per Turn deal, and you won't lose any money :D

The reason why they were insulted, is either that you weren't making 30gpt (if you are using C3C), and/or your reputation is bad. You might have made a deal earlier on which involved you giving the AI gpt for a lump sum of something (Gold/tech), and then broken the deal before the 20 turns were up :)

Yes, if you have ever declared war when you had a right of passage, when your troops were already in their city, or broke a military alliance, the AI will not accept right of passage, resource, luxury, or per turn deals.

magicshane said:
Yes, if you have ever declared war when you had a right of passage, when your troops were already in their city, or broke a military alliance, the AI will not accept right of passage, resource, luxury, or per turn deals.

Thanks for the enlightenment. I never realised the AI would respond to breaking 20 turn agreements. Breaking these agreements seemed like a good incentive to go to war particularly if there were a few agreements in place.

At last, something the AI does right.

Top Bottom