1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI is definitely programmed to build wonders 1 or 2 turns before the player.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by CivAddict2013, Mar 29, 2015.

1. CivAddict2013

CivAddict2013 Warlord

Happened too many times to be a coincidence. I'm playing a game as Egypt and I've seen this 3 times. The AI is programmed to build a wonder 1 turn before you do. This is a fact; this is not just a coincidence, it's happened too many times.

Great Wall? AI in a faraway land beat me to it and I had to reroll to get it.

Petra? Same thing.

Angkor Wat? Same thing.

Each time; the AI beats me to it by 1 or 2 turns.

The AI in a faraway land must know exactly what wonder the player is building. There's no way it doesn't.

If I don't try to build the Petra in a game; the AI will never build it. But if I build the Petra? "Petra built in faraway land".

They're programmed to build wonders 1 turn before you.

2. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Confirmation Bias.

What about all the times you beat the AI to wonders by one or two turns?

3. amphreded

amphreded Chieftain

I always thought the same thing until I put a spy in AI town, see that the AI is building the same wonder and was 1 turn ahead, proceed to maximize production for my own city and beat the AI instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sharples

Sharples Prince

Nothing to see here folks. Just a person who is mad that they didn't get their wonders. :)

5. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

What difficulty are you playing? Easier level AI wont take away your wonders that often.

6. Primacide

Primacide Settler

I agree here, for different reasons. I got to thinking about it and I can recall the times I got beaten by one turn very easily. However, most of the time you get beaten to a wonder it's by ten turns or so. What's the difference? Probably emotion. When it's only one turn away, you get highly upset (Soooooo close!!!). But when you haven't invested as much and were still pretty far out from finishing, it's easier to say "meh." I could be wrong, but this has been my experience.

It's why my autosave is set to one turn. :)

7. crabe

crabe Chieftain

You can tell if a wonder is under construction in a city without even having a spy there.

8. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

That person should learn lua and get the wonders for free. lol

9. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I kind of disagree because I have seen AI build a wonder with a spy before and often times, the capital city of the AI usually uses a engineer to suddenly build a wonder or the capital city usually has a very high productive output that makes the wonder get built in about 6 or 7 turns which is pretty quick when it comes to wonders.

10. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Additionally, most people have a pretty good idea of whether or not it's "worth it" to even start a wonder. You're unlikely to even start it if you don't think you've got a good chance of finishing it and, if you have a good chance of finishing it, then so do any other AIs who get the tech around the same time as you.

11. DocRock

DocRock Prince

It helped me a lot to get the EUI addon to check the social policies of the Al before building a wonder. Sometimes you get a good feeling of what they are building. I was even able to hardbuild Chicken Iza on Immortal in my current game, because I knew nearly all civs that entered medieval were going Piety and therefore prefer Theology to Civil SService.. that and some heavy chopping. ;)

12. beetle

beetle Deity

Yes, you figured that out 13 months ago. There are a few other old threads with same theme, but I believe it is more than confirmation bias.

To the skeptics want to see proof: Experiment with reloading the next two times you lose a wonder by one turn. Go back ten turns or so and figure out how you can shave one turn to the wonder (but without chopping). In one of those two games (maybe both) you will still lose the wonder race by a turn.

I must say, I am hard building wonders less and less...

13. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I do this frequently, and I almost always succeed in building the wonder when I do.

14. lockandload

lockandload Warlord

Petra is so awesome. I don't blame the OP for blaming the developers because he lost it.

15. lockandload

lockandload Warlord

I am just trying to imagine the meeting of the game developers where this idea comes up.

"OK, we are almost done here. Any more ideas?"

"I know. Lets' put in a feature where the AI beats the players out of the valuable wonders by one move."

"Why?"

"it will just totally motivate them to buy the upgrades."

16. beetle

beetle Deity

That's encouraging! It has probably been a year since I experiment with this, and since I have pretty much not put myself in a position to lose a wonder race by just one or two turns.

I don't believe it was a deliberate design choice. I think it is emergent behavior, possibly related to the AI being privy to player data that should not be exposed. If you have a spy, and check every turn, can sometimes notice an AI doing very peculiar things with their build queue.

This is the post in the thread where I last was in a similar position and describe my testing. Contrary to my recollection, it was closer to six months ago, and after spies were available. So not quite as inexplicable.

17. lockandload

lockandload Warlord

Interesting. Putting some I into AI. I like it.

I swear, the AI now seem to try and bait human players with workers.

18. Tatran

Tatran Deity

In civ1 and civ2, the AI cheated with building wonders.

Let me tell you another "funny" story about SMAC without any patch.
    The AI missiles (conventional and planet busters) have/had an unlimited range
    unlike the human player missiles which were limited in range.
    Firaxis called it a bug. Yeah sure.

19. DST1348

DST1348 Warlord

First thing that came to my mind was this comic:

20. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

:goodjob: