1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI is definitely programmed to build wonders 1 or 2 turns before the player.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by CivAddict2013, Mar 29, 2015.

1. eris

eris King

Actually, Firaxis doesn't program the game to connive against the human player. They program it to connive against certain individual human players. In fact, it's just you. If you want to be unjustifiably paranoid, be unjustifiably paranoid.

2. lefuet

lefuet Warlord

I think I remember reading a post were someone watched an ai build a wonder, switched production shortly before it is finished, and only switched back as a human player threatened to finish it first.

I believe it was in this forum. A quick search didn't find it and I have been known to remember falsely so ..

3. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

If you guys worried about making money and making sense then failing a wonder wouldnt be such an issue to you.

4. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Does anyone know exactly what the fail gold formula is? I've always been under the impression that fail gold was a small consolation and certainly wasn't worth "trying for*" at all. Hypothetically, if a Wonder costs 300 hammers and I spent 200 hammers on it only to be beaten out by the AI, how much gold will I get? And is it equivalent to what you would get by switching to Gold focus?

*by "trying for" I mean starting to build a Wonder that you know you don't have a realistic chance of building, on the off chance that you somehow might miraculously beat the AI to it, and at the very least can collect fail gold if you lose the race.

5. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

It's in CvCity:: doCheckProduction() and is

hammers * MAXED_BUILDING_GOLD_PERCENT / 100

as the default for MAXED_BUILDING_GOLD_PERCENT is 100, this is just hammers

6. claudiupb

claudiupb King

This happened to me some time ago. I was able to trick the AI by timing 2 chops to finish one turn before I would normally finish my wonder, making it so I'd finish the wonder a turn earlier so that the AI did not expect it. I also noticed, by spying capitals, that AI's will build a wonder until they are one turn in and change into something else. I think this is a minor trick to balance the human vs AI exploits, by baiting the human to start working on a wonder, and waste turns or engineers on wonders they could never get.

7. shaglio

So spending the aforementioned 200 hammers would yield 200 fail gold. How does that compare to selecting Gold focus in the build queue? (I'd check for myself, but I'm currently at work).

8. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Failgold =total hammers used on wonder before turn of wonder completion
    Gold = hammers for wonders

Example
    100 failhammers = 100 failgold

9. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

4 times better.

Converting hammers to gold as a "process" is controlled via the database and is set to 25%

Code:
    <!-- Yield in this table is a percentage -->
    <Process_ProductionYields>
    	<Row>
    		<ProcessType>PROCESS_WEALTH</ProcessType>
    		<YieldType>YIELD_GOLD</YieldType>
    		<Yield>25</Yield>
    	</Row>
    	<Row>
    		<ProcessType>PROCESS_RESEARCH</ProcessType>
    		<YieldType>YIELD_SCIENCE</YieldType>
    		<Yield>25</Yield>
    	</Row>
    </Process_ProductionYields>

10. lefuet

lefuet Warlord

4 times as good or 3 times better ;) (sorry, that is a pet peeve of mine)

and maybe some difference for overproduction? If the wonder costs 101 hammer and I produce 100 per turn but get beaten on the second turn I get 101 gold compensation? Converting production to gold would have yielded 50 gold. ..

11. shaglio

That's a lot better than I thought it was. People make it seem like the failgold is woefully abysmal. It's not that horrible, but it's not worth building a strategy around. It certainly would be better not trying to build a Wonder that you only have a slim chance of getting, as those hammers could be better spent on infrastructure/units. If the ratio of hammers to gold for building vs. buying buildings and units was 1:1, then it would be a viable strategy to try for as many Wonders as possible and then buy anything you would have been making if you fail. But the ratio isn't nearly as good.

12. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Don't forget to factor in depreciation if you stop building the wonder and start something else before you get beaten to it

13. tide15

tide15 Warlord

So here I am trying to get the wonder Bagan. I might of gotten it once but it usually goes to an AI civ. So three turns pass and I get a great engineer in the same city that's working on Bagan. I click on the engineer to finish Bagan and I'm happy I'll have Bagan next turn. Next turn starts and an unmet player completes Bagan :eek: Talk about timing.....I said some bad words.

14. lockandload

lockandload Warlord

Yep, these are the times that try men's cough*reload*cough souls

15. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I know that happens to me so what i do is save before using the great engineer and then reload if the great engineer doesnt get the wonder done by having an ai steal the wonder. You can always reload and use the engineer on another wonder.

16. wayneb64

wayneb64 Prince

autosave is a way of life in civ. Civ is like a virtual world when I am playing and if bad things happen, there is always a do-over.

17. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

Never heard of Bagan, is this supposed to be Civ 5?

18. CivAddict2013

CivAddict2013 Warlord

I hate to say it but it's true guys.

I played yet another game today. Everything's working out great! I built the Hanging Gardens, I have excellent growth but I want to build the Great Wall.

Big mistake, "Great Wall built in a faraway land".

By 200 BC? Bullcrap. AI never builds the wonder that early. Usually the AI will build the Great Wall around 500 AD....

Unless... the AI like I said; knows exactly what wonder you're working on.

That's the only way.

Usually the AI will build the Parthenon, The Oracle, The Pyramids, they didn't even build the great library... :mad:

But the AI builds the Great Wall? Well in that case, that confirms they know exactly what wonder the player is working. The AI in a faraway land knows exactly what wonder you're working on. No coincidences here.

19. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

20. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

have you tried relouding and NOT BUILDING the great wall and see if the Ai doesn't built it on that turn.

I did that once and the Ai stil lbuilt it early.

by the way one word= RAMSES make sure he isn't in you're game