1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI is definitely programmed to build wonders 1 or 2 turns before the player.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by CivAddict2013, Mar 29, 2015.

1. amphreded

amphreded Chieftain

Bagan? That's an ancient city in Mandalay, Burma. But it's not one of the default wonders in Civ5. Do you mean Borobudur?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

Post Renaissance
    They may have been spying on you. If so the AI would know exactly when you would complete the wonder and can adjust accordingly. If you are the tech leader then the AI is most certainly spying on you.
    Pre Renaissance
    I'm not sure the AI can do this trick but I suspect it can as it keeps on asking for open borders. When building a wonder click next turn and zoom right in on your city. You will see the wonder under construction. Some are obvious like Machu Pichu and the Great Wall, others are not. Even if you don't have line of sight to a city's inner ring you can still see the wonder under construction graphic so it pays to scout every AI city. It's a good idea to learn what each wonder looks like under construction so every turn you can scan each city to see if anyone is building the wonder you are after, you can even see the graphic if you don't have the tech yet. The AI will almost certainly switch production to units, even if only for a few turns if they are DOWed, which may be all the time you need.

3. tide15

tide15 Warlord

Thanks phillpwyllie I'll do that. As for the other guys asking about Bagan. It's a wonder mod. I use several for religion culture happiness. The AI civs like them also. I find they enhance the game.

4. Xepthrichros

Xepthrichros Chieftain

I have had my wonders beaten by AI by one turn, but that was only because I was tarrying around and not building it myself earlier.

So, feeling annoyed that I lost out by just one, I reloaded to an earlier autosave, some 20 turns earlier, and began working on the wonder as soon as I got the tech, instead of tarrying around. I got the wonder.

Confirmation bias, is what you have.

5. Tarbos

Tarbos Chieftain

I saw the AI have once three Wonders in their queue. One wonder with 1 turn left, one with 4turns left and then he started another one.
    This is just the AI taking preference of one wonder over the other, but teching it later, and has nothing to do with what the human player is building.
    In this particular game, I was currently building the wonder that had 1 turn left and successfully finished it.

By the way, "This is a fact; this is not just a coincidence, it's happened too many times. "

That is not the definition of fact...and makes the whole thread rather silly.

6. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Who knows why the ai would do that, but that's a good way to make some quick money. I've done that before, I have put up to 3 wonders finishable at 1 turn each and I made plenty of gold. I could've put more wonders but a few of them got finished because of misclicking so eventually I got the failgold from 2 wonders and made around 500 gold.

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Moderator Action: Two threads about AI building wonders 1 turn before the player merged

8. lefuet

lefuet Warlord

btw, do you get the fail gold if you started a wonder but are currently working on smth. else?

9. Callonia

Callonia Deity

On the bright side if you get beaten to the wonder by one turn.... that's perfectly good excuse to start a war!

10. Dr. D

Dr. D Warlord

Congratulations, you just found out there can be great variation from game to game, and that's all. No need for the tinfoil hat.

11. lockandload

lockandload Warlord

Think of it as the AI's equivalent of reload.

12. Walter R

Walter R Great Engineer

What bugs me more is that sometimes it will tell me that "Catherine has built..." and sometimes the "...in a faraway land" even when I know all the other AI; just tell me who you crazy mystical reporter.
    Besides, if I hadn't yet met the AI that built it, how come I know about it? Did the reporter just have a vision?
    I think a better idea than your great wall suddenly disappearing is that you just don't get the benefits from it - it's a fake!

13. Primacide

Primacide Settler

Just an FYI: it will give you the "x has been built in a faraway land" if you haven't seen the city where it's built. It doesn't matter whether or not you've met the other civ. (You will have already if you have visibility on their cities.)

14. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

If you have discovered the city in which the wonder was built then it will tell you who built the wonder. If you have not discovered that particular city then it will not tell you who built the wonder. You can of course always go into the diplomacy screen to check anyways though.