1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI is totally idiot! pls is possible to play in multi??

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by gioas, Nov 23, 2008.

1. gioas

gioas Chieftain

The mod road to war is beautiful but unfortunately the AI of civ4 is no good for this mod.
    After a couple of matches won at monarch level I do something more challenging.
    I played the first game at immortal level with the Germans and I won easily. in april 1944 had already eliminated the urss, the denmark, the netherlnads, the de gaulle france, the jugoslavia and the united kingdom.
    then hoping to be able to enjoy more I played immortal level with the united kingdom. i start in 1939
    to make it more difficult.

Well in December 1941 - when usa come with allies - with few troops to put in defense, the Germans have not been able to invade France or the Netherlands (which I defended).
    they are invaded only denmark and city of luxemburg.
    I have already completely removed Italian from Africa and have already landed in Naples and I'm going to rome.
    I sent troops to defend Yugoslavia and in fact even that was not invaded.

now that both the USSR and the USA are in war, the war will end within one year.
    In short while playing in the immortal ago to really disgusting. winning is too easy.
    unfortunately so that the mythical DALE on this can not do anything.

if someone want the savegame of this game is not a problem. i can send.

I wanted to know .. has been solved the problem of multiplayer?
    What i need to select at the 2nd round for play in multi . accurate events, casual events or free game?
    should not be more desyn the game because of this choice?

pls DALE help me.
    i hate this . .. .. .. .ing idiot AI :)

sorry for my terrible english, i have use the translator.

Giovanni.

Ps: W Dale, the best modder of civ 4.

2. gioas

gioas Chieftain

this is my savegame.

3. VeteranLurker

VeteranLurker Chieftain

Sorry, no help currently for the AI that I am aware of.

Rumor has it that multiplayer works in RTW Ultimate Edition 1.1 (the version for BTS 3.17). You should be able to choose amongst yourselves which mode you want to play.

4. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

You may want to tweak the points values of units. My changes make it more interesting. The points values are based closer to the unit strengths. A Tiger now costs over 1000 and a Churchill is less than half as much.

AFAIK Dales design is more for playability as opposed to realism.

5. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

I agree the AI needs help but this is a VERY complex set of scenarios for the AI to manage. As for multi-player, as far as I know (a) Dale doesn't support the mod running in multi-player but (b) it will run in multi-player, hot steat for sure as I just got through playing three of the 1936 scenarios in that mode with no problem ... so I guess you play it in multi-player at your own risk.

Dale, please correct me if my answer is out of date.

6. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Yes, MP should work for PBEM, Hotseat and LAN. I highly doubt it'll work over GameSpy though. :)

7. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

The AI is as dumb as sh!t, RTW Ultimate does not work properly 'out of the box' period, referring to the enormous stacks left to sit around doing nothing here, not to mention the 'invicible Poland' syndrome ;)

8. Horizons

It's down to a combination of unit value changes and the extensive changes made to the combat system, I believe. If it were possible to strip it back down to normal Civ4 mechanics the AI would probably do better. I'm trying to run a previous beta version right now because I'm in the mood for WWII again and I've realized that RTW Ultimate is a total cop-out, in the grand Firaxis style of cop-outs. ;)

9. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Horizons:

You do better! I'm still waiting 6 months after your last blabbering to prove you have any abilities. :)

10. CivFanCCS

CivFanCCS Chieftain

First of all I would like to thank Dale for his countless hours contributing to the Civ4 Community.

I think at the least some of you should thank Dale for his efforts or help him reconcile what you think should happen. I'm pretty sure Dale is keeping up with this stuff on his OWN.

As for the AI having the IQ of some posters here, that is a problem. If someone could merge RTW with Better AI, I think it would help. The Better AI team has made some really remarkable changes to the sea attack code and air attack/defense. I actually experienced an invasion force of over 100 Units from a continent away, with re-enforcements!!!! ... yeah I lost.

If anyone gives it a try please post your results.

11. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

I don't know how you are trying to play but to say that RtW "does not work ... out of the box ..." is just not true:mad: - I've not made ANY changes to it and it "works" just fine - perfect, no ... one of the best mods ever created - in my opinion a resounding YES!!!:D ... and there are obviously a lot of us who do enjoy it enough to want to make it even better.

Thanks again Dale for all of the hard work and a really GREAT mod!:D

12. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Thanks ZooMan (and others who've said the same). :)

13. kiwitt

Dale has created a wonderful mod, which allows novices like me to make minor modifications to make it to my liking. :D

I have only one thing that really annoys me: Neutral players get the "Maus" Artwork for a heavy tank. I am considering replacing Modern Artillery with a "Super Heavy Tank: and use the "Maus" Artwork Unit and changing the Neutral Heavy Tank to the Italian Heavy Tank Artwork. Oh and making Bunkers able to be built by all nations. :(

14. kiwitt

Done !!!

Now for the Bunkers

15. Horizons

I only play Civ now and then, and I have even less time for reprogramming it. :) The problem is that you did too much work on it and made some changes that didn't work out quite as planned.

My ideal version of the mod would be to have everything the same but keep the entire original Civ4 combat rules. 4 aeroplanes per city, attacking one-at-a-time, no lethal bombard, etc. The AI would then be able to fight back harder and better.

The last time I played this mod the USSR kept its entire army on one square inside Germany while the Axis powers took all of its cities. There are clearly some super-bugs inside this mod that mere mortals cannot fix.

If RTW were an operating system I would do a clean reinstall, but only the last service pack bar one. ;)

16. Horizons

I was playtesting the version of RTW that comes with patch 3.17, with all the default settings left alone. The problem of 'sticky stacks' seems not to be present at least during auto-play. I will now try the same thing using Ultimate. And then after that I'll try playing manually and see if all is well. :)

17. Horizons

Ah yes!!! The version of Road to War in BTS 3.17 does not have the CRAPPY and untested unit changes in the 'Ultimate' edition for a start!

Maybe that's why it plays so well ... it doesn't have all that unnecessary muck! I think i've found my bliss spot once again! :)

18. fireclaw722

fireclaw722 Imperial Guard

if you want something difficult play as france on a difficulty like immortal or emporer. you would have to take out germany before ltaly joins the axis or holland joins the allies. because germany automatically invades holland and usually wipes them out, then the have a huge army right outside your front doorstep almost literally.

19. kiwitt

Done in Version 0.3 of my mini-mod