AI is worse than civ V!

bladex

Emperor
AI needs a complete re-work in this no matter what you do they hate you. they hate you for having a different government, no ships, no culture and other bs. they say thanks for keeping the peace than attack you out of nowhere a few turns later (Roosevelt!.) Egypt and Norway are far by the worst to deal with.

no matter what you do your at war very early in the game and trade with them is near impossible!

didn't think it was possible but the AI in civ VI is worse than CIV V :mad:

But it's pretty easy to make at least one civ happy. For instance, Rome. I built 3/4 cities and he was happy as hell.

On the other hand, the problem is:

It did not matter if he was happy or not because he declared war on me, anyways. It doesn't make a big difference.

He declared war to sign a peace. He did not send any units :lol:

Last edited:
It's designed to create a lot of conflict. My guess is that the specific devs who signed off on this like high conflict games, because that's clearly what it's designed to do. No matter what, you get high conflict, pretty much. I am sure it will be adjusted over time.

it's so messed up i'm supposed to just sit back and watch an ai settler build a city right next to mine than demand i move my units away from HIS territory (it's mine MOFO) or be accused of building too close to him (that's what you did you moron!) if i attack the settler i'm an automatic warmonger to the whole map speaking of no matter what war i declare whether it be formal, holy or whatever next turn whole map calling me a warmonger. it's like everything they designed to work...doesn't work!

Already other millions of rants on this... why another post?
Exactly. There is no constructive discussion in this forum, just people posting on impulse.

Wanna ***** about the AI? Try finding an existing post first. Shouldn't be hard.

I have a better idea. Let's make 1000 threads about the terrible AI :lol:

Not to pick on the OP but The narcissism of some gamers can sometimes be a bit tiring. If something isnt quite right or to ones liking it's immediately the worst. everything is ruined etc. see thread about the civilopedia. Is my generation really this annoying?
If nobody complained vociferously and Firaxis didn't think there was an issue (that could hurt future sales and their reputation as a AAA games developer), then maybe there's no incentive for things to get fixed?

The main issue right now is the "Troops near borders" penalty being way too sensitive. I think if they fix this diplomacy will be close to fine. There are still a few minor issues, but that's the big one.

I'm finding that maintaining diplo takes effort, but its not impossible. It also depends on who the leader is. It will be very hard to make some of them happy. On the other hand, some that are quick to anger can be especially useful, like Germany. Since the AI can outspend you on delegates to City States and that makes Germany mad, the other AIs face his wrath while he sends you love (until you get around to backstabbing him yourself. :D ).

For the moment, you should assume maintaining good relations is mainly doable with people who don't share a border with you. Close neighbors don't make good friends.

I disagree, the AI in Civ5 was bad all around, and buggy.
The AI in Civ6 is good in most areas, but goes fubar in certain others. It only needs perfection and it won't be too hard or long.

First the diplomacy requires a lot of work in CIV 6, Some adjustment might be needed or Firaxis could add some options to make diplomacy easier or at a minimum reduce negatives.

At higher difficulties you also seem to have a hidden negative adjuster of the per turn influence so if you don't offset the negative and have a some plus influence amount per turn, relations seems to deteriorate quickly.

Tips:

Let them meet you instead of you meeting them. Easier said than done. (Seems some civs really don't like you being found close to their cities so you start off with say -7 per turn)
Send delegations right away to the civilization you want to be friends with.
Open Borders as soon as possible.
Send trade route as soon as possible.
Give gifts if need or just resource trades.
Watch their agendas and friends agendas is a must to satisfy as the penalty is high if you do not, try to figure out the hidden agenda. Don't waste effort on trying to be friends if you know your going to mess with their agenda. Prepare for war and spend time and effort on other civs

Early AI, will attack if opportunity present itself regardless, specially if they are close to you and have more troops.

Midde AI will mostly denounce first, and they are most likely to denounce if you have lower relations and you do something that warrants it (War, not being true to their agenda)

Cannot do to much about surprise wars, just take them as a man, and make them pay for it.

Last if possible "play the long game", build up positive and let the penalties expire before you rack up more with warmongering. The CIV6 diplomacy is a longer term not instant numbers like civ5, things change overtime based on the modifiers so getting out of negatives take a long time.

The good things if managed is that you can offset warmongering penalty with friends if managed. And the warmongering penalty does go away over time. No CIV5 permanent modifiers. Sure if you conquer a lot it will feel like civ5 difference is that in CIV6 everybody will be mad.

Last edited:
The main issue right now is the "Troops near borders" penalty being way too sensitive. I think if they fix this diplomacy will be close to fine. There are still a few minor issues, but that's the big one.

There are MANY BIG ISSUES and tons of minor issues!. Not atacking just shuffling units its a very big issue, not upgrading units too. (I am on immortall diff) AI often not reparing improvements, not improving luxuries(3 silk near capital in renesainse era not improved), workers staying in cities and doing nothing , settlers the same. Many amazing city locations not settled, horde of units parking without reason beyond their bordes doing nothing. I never seen any AI took any city from other AI except very early city states. Tech pace is insane fast in modern era standard speed 2 turns research is common thing. And the list goes on.

Single player is unplayabble if one is looking for any challenge.

Agendas are interesting concept that seemingly had no QA feedback about how it's killing the diplomacy.Patches should correct this issue.

Meh I don't find the AI hard to deal with or keep your friend. A couple will like you, a couple not. That is fine. So far in two games I only got 1 DoW, and I crushed that person.

AI is worse than Civ V? Show some evidence, e.g. same situation where Civ V acts better than Civ VI. I'm not seeing it, but am willing to be persuaded. Otherwise it just smacks of, "I can't play for horsehocky".

The AI in Civ VI is brain dead. It's poor on military tactics, diplomacy and internal administration. Is it worse than Civ V at launch? Probably yes which says something as Civ V AI at launch was c**p. It's obvious Firaxis/2K don't respect the civ community enough to invest in a decent AI. And maybe they're right? If people still buy the game for the slick graphics anyway maybe they're doing the right think for their business model. Leaves true civ fanatics in the lurch.

Top Bottom