1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] AI keeps declaring war on a city state i want

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Question, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Question

Question Chieftain

Gilgamesh keeps declaring war on Jerusalem and I want to keep Jerusalem as a city state. But he doesnt seem to care that im the Suzerain nor if i have friend/ally status with him. I dont see any ways to tell him not to declare war or tell him to break off the war.

Any suggestions other than war mongering?

2. Athmos

Athmos Chieftain

3. Forster

Forster Chieftain

Surround Jerusalem with your units or declare war on him. Or, let him take Jerusalem and declare a protectorate war/liberation war over it. You might also get an emergency to respond to Jerusalem's capture.

4. Question

Question Chieftain

Yea thing is i dont want to fight another war. I already fought a long war with Egypt in an emergency to liberate Jerusalem (in which Gilgamesh helped as well). It just seems really silly that you cant tell an AI to back off, or that they dont seem to care if you are the suzerain of a city state.

I cant remember if the AI in civ 5 was smart enough not to attack a city state under your protection. Actually, why do we have less CS options than civ 5?

Ive surrounded it with units and the AI seems to have broken down. Jersulam wont build -anything-...they wont even repair their damaged buildings. Gilgamesh just keeps bombarding Jerusalem but doesnt seem to know what to do since he cant use a melee unit to capture it.

To top it off i cant even gift the CS units like in civ 5....i am really mystified as to why that feature was not included in civ 6. They could have just copied and pasted the code in all likelihood.

5. orasis

orasis Chieftain

I may be wrong but I think you could pledge to protect city states in Civ V... it did not stop AIs from attacking but thy were less likely to do so.

6. Question

Question Chieftain

Anyone know if theres any mods that improve the situation with CSes?

7. EditorRex

EditorRex Master of Allusion

I haven't found that this situation comes up that often on R&F, though it does happen sometimes. Just bad luck. Short of fighting Gilgamesh, not much you can do. I am curious about why you cite your recent war with Egypt as a reason for not wanting another war with Gilgamesh. I would think that if you have experienced military units, you should give them additional experience by continuing to fight. But perhaps you are going for a more peaceful play style. I have not found that Civ VI and R&F rewards peaceful play styles in the early game. You might want to consider a limited war to liberate Jerusalem and take down some of Sumeria's military. Of course, those war carts can be annoying, so do prepare sufficiently if you decide to go this route.

8. Question

Question Chieftain

I had an economic alliance with Gilgamesh that was racking in tons of gold, and the war with Egypt had set me back tech wise.

9. EditorRex

EditorRex Master of Allusion

I don't understand why war would set you back tech wise in Civ VI, though I certainly experienced that in some of the previous Civ games that had different economic/science balance dynamics. Generally in an early Civ VI war against AI, I'm using tested troops that I've promoted up from my early units and only gradually added more units to over time. This is usually a range-unit army supplemented by a some melee and spear units and possibly some horse units depending on the map, the Civ, who I'm up against, etc. I'm often running Conscription to hold down costs and Mercenaries if I need to run a bunch of promotions. I'm usually looking for every Eureka and Inspiration I can get. I get couple Science districts up early, preferably next to mountains, with libraries and universities when they become available. I don't build cultural districts or holy sites much, or more than one encampment. I usually find I'm teching like crazy while waging war. Now, I don't claim this is always as easy as I've described -- sometimes the AI gets luck and picks off more of my units than I like. But I haven't encountered a science problem. What are you doing to boost science during this part of the game?

10. Question

Question Chieftain

Because if you are spending say, 10 turns building military units, thats 10 turns you arent spending on settling new cities or improving them via campus/libraries/etc.