Ai land grab?

Evil Beejeebers

Warlord
I am pretty decent at this game, but I just don't know how to keep up with the ai for the early game. I will have 1 or 2 settlements and the ai will have whole swathes of land.

What is the best tactics for early game?

Is early guns viable?

I just don't know how to keep up with the ai for the early game.
That is really the first time somebody complains that AI is too strong. :eek:
Almost all other community members complain that AI is too weak.

You are playing WTP (or its predecessor RaR)?
Because other mods like DoaNE do behave a bit differently.

Is early guns viable?
You could try many different strategies. :dunno:

But usually a good strategy includes "Scout Rush" (for massive gold from Natives and Goodies), "Bell Rush" (for early FFs), "Settler Rush" (for Production Increase), Selling Trade Goods to Natives ...
I personally never try anything like "Early Gun Rush" because it distracts from more efficient early game strategies.

But it is up to you. Whatever you like best. :thumbsup:
Simply experiment a bit and figure out what works best for yourself.

Last edited:
I am pretty decent at this game, but I just don't know how to keep up with the ai for the early game. I will have 1 or 2 settlements and the ai will have whole swathes of land.

Is early guns viable?

Try to avoid the temptation to max out your first one or two colonies before establishing others. Aim for maybe one plantation with the attendent factory, farmer or fish to supply food, and a guy producing bells and/or crosses. Once you're at 5 or 6 folks, settle elsewhere.

On what map size and what difficulty are you playing?

If on difficulty Conqueror or above and the AI gets more and more bonus compared to you, so perhaps lower the difficulty.
And on a gigantic map with 2plot cities it is not really difficult to get a whole swath of land in your colour...

Is early guns viable?

The AI is usually not so strong that anything is not viable.

The AI is usually not so strong that anything is not viable.
Not currently. :)

But yes, a lot of strategies are viable - that is what makes a good game.
Some work a bit better though depending on the different game phases and of course your current game situation.

Maybe expand your population and number of cities first before specializing too much.
Maybe also try to get as much early gold as possible and also grab some of those juicy early FFs.

But again, just experiment a bit and figure out what you like best and what works best for you. :thumbsup:

I see this on the gigantic Americas. Certain Civs, esp french, throw individual colonists all over to have 5 or 6 inland colonies by 1550. My current game is that way. My counter to it is to do the same. My swedish is basically creating the Canadian/us border with the French to my south. I dont really see this as a problem, just a challenge.

I see this on the gigantic Americas. Certain Civs, esp french, throw individual colonists all over to have 5 or 6 inland colonies by 1550. My current game is that way. My counter to it is to do the same. My swedish is basically creating the Canadian/us border with the French to my south. I dont really see this as a problem, just a challenge.

Lucky you - you are experiencing something very similar to History. Historically the french expanded inland from the St. Lawrence-River (nowadays Canada) and inland from New Orleans up the Missisippi and tried to connect both colonies with the Beaver-Huntinggrounds

around the Great Lakes and using the Ohio river as a connection - which, if successfull would have cut the british colonies off from the Inland
See the blue blockade of the red british coastal colonies:

And the french did so by spreading thin - they had fewer colonists than the english and instead of creating large cities established a dozen forts to control the riverways.Around 1750 the french had only around 30.000 french in the colonies and heavily depended on their indian allies while the british had already 2 million
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_and_Indian_War

Ingame that works most of the time as the english gets more colonists due to producing more crosses.

That is really the first time somebody complains that AI is too strong. :eek:

I don't think it is too strong, I'll still smash it after a certain number of turns the ai falls to pieces.

I just don't understand how it gets away with the settlements it places. If I expand like that the natives go crazy.

I don't think it is too strong, I'll still smash it after a certain number of turns the ai falls to pieces.

I just don't understand how it gets away with the settlements it places. If I expand like that the natives go crazy.

The Natives do not only care about the number of your cities, but where you place them. How close to their villages? And do not forget that some colonizers (e. g. the french) have leaders that allow better relations/co-existance with the Natives and founding Fathers that allow you to live in peace with the Natives...

Also, depending on Difficulty Setting, European AI Players get Relation Bonusses with Natives.
So they will get less angry than they get with you if you play on higher difficulties.

Yeah, nothing like having natives declare on you when you settle your first settlement.

Top Bottom