1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI Mad Settler Rush?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by winterstoirm, Jul 10, 2013.

1. winterstoirm

winterstoirm Chieftain

Anyone else having to deal with the AIs makiing mad settler rushes? I'm talking about them just sending settlers out and founding new cities across the world, with no intent or thought of building a cohesive territory? Is this new AI behavior?

I had to restart my first 3-4 games because of the AIs surrounding my capital in new cities in the first 10-20 turns. Even in the game I'm currently playing, both Atilla and William just seem to have founded 3-4 cities scattered across the world.

I've never seen this behavior in the AI prior to BNW.

2. ense7en

ense7en n7

I have. This is nothing new.
    AI loves to settle in your face before filling in the area around their lands...this is particularly noticeable on Immortal+

3. meowschwitz

meowschwitz Warlord

Most people seem to be seeing the opposite occurring. The AI seems to be staying small more because of their happiness issues. You may have got some more expansive AI or something.

4. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

I have played two games in King and have not seen this yet.

5. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I haven't got BNW yet, but this sounds like typical G&K AI behaviour to me.

6. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

Ya well that has been par for the course for me even in G&K. It is a sore point for me, and it is the reason I go to war. I understand trying to grab that gold that is in my 3rd ring to be, but sending the settler 40 tiles away seems bad.

Are you sure you did not see this quite often in G&K?

7. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

My first game was an Earth map with all of the new BNW civs (I was portugal). NO ONE was in a hurry to settle. In the industrial/modern era at least 66% of the map is unsettled! I would settle it, but there aren't too many good spots around me, and I'm doing just fine with my Mesopotamian paradise.

8. aluelkdf

aluelkdf Prince

This is what I've seen. Last night I was playing a game with AI Iroquois, and even the Iroquois stayed small.

9. winterstoirm

winterstoirm Chieftain

I saw something similar in G&K if I gave early embassies (I learned not to do that), at least the settling near me to jump on resources. I don't recall ever seeing this kind of weird scattered-across-the-world cities before, though. Maybe it's a weird function of the world geography/city-state placement? Maybe weighting of certain terrain favorable to certain wonders (Petra and Neuschwanstein come to mind)?

10. BluegrassGeek

BluegrassGeek Warlord

I've seen both so far in my first game. Egypt and the ottomans went tall, while Babylon went wide very, very early.

11. omnishakira

omnishakira Warlord

this is high level behavior

usually diety or immortal

12. IAmOzymandias

IAmOzymandias Warlord

This is absolutely bonkers in Scramble for Africa. I literally saw a string of unprotected settlers come down from Italy (It had to be one every second turn, I swear) to settle right in my face, so I declared war and captured them with my mounted units lol.

It seems like in Scramble for Africa the AI just ****s out settlers and nabs as much land as possible.

13. IkM

IkM King

Don't have BNW yet. but, in G&K, they love settler spam too. I killed/captured 4 or 5 american settler in a few turns. when I destroy their main cities, realized they have many many cities across the map. one in far east, one in far west etc. nothing new, I think.

14. pilot00

pilot00 King

That one reminds me of a war with the Inca. They were sending their settlers crossing my borders through the sea when we were at war (presumably to settle on the other side of my empire). That sea was filled with drowned settlers.

15. IkM

IkM King

they were attacking with settlers :lol:

16. IAmOzymandias

IAmOzymandias Warlord

yep, I got a pic on my steam account where i'm at war with somebody, and they walk a lone settler literally one tile beside my manned city lol

17. Miravlix

Miravlix King

Don't worry with culture flipping all those towns becomes yours at some point.