1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI makes a demand

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by bakshi, Feb 8, 2010.

1. bakshi

bakshi Prince

Just wondering what you guys do when an AI makes a demand. Do you always say no or yes or do you think about how its going to get you DOWed? I always say no even if I'm at the bottom of the food chain. But one thing I love is when you discover someone on another continent and they try bossing you around. Cyrus and Shakka always try to demand techs/world maps from me even when they are on the otherside of the world.

2. catfish99

catfish99 Warlord

It is very, very situation dependent. Switching to the religion of a neighbor on their request can get you an ally and free up troops you were keeping on their border. Saying yes to a military power buys you ten turns, and may entice them to use their power on someone else. Sometimes civs on a far continent can be valuable diplo allies, and a yes to today's demand can lead to their being a war partner later.
    OTOH, I usually do say no to the Shakas and Montys of the world, since I figure to fight them anyway. The main exception being the case above for ten turns of peace.

3. bakshi

bakshi Prince

so if you say yes to a demand you no matter what get a 10 turn peace treaty? or is it most likely they wont go to war with you for 10 turns.

4. EsaKo

EsaKo Prince

That's a guaranteed 10 turns of peace between you and the particular AI. I think there was *some* exception but I can't recall... it was quite rare anyway.

5. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

I imagine defensive pacts would force a declaration of war in spite of pre-existing peace treaties, but that's just a guess on my part.

6. EsaKo

EsaKo Prince

Yeah that could be one, but I think the AI was able to cheat here somehow (but it too was a rare instance).

7. Cusanus

Cusanus Der Fürst

Apostolic Palace resolution.

8. Still_Asleep

Still_Asleep Warlord

I say yes more often than not, but it largely depends on what the AI demands.

World map? Yes, who cares.

Backwards AI asking for outdated tech? Yes, who cares.

AI asking for 200 gold and I have 800? Most likely yes, unless I need the money really badly for unit upgrades.

AI asking for 1600 gold and I have 1601? No, unless I am really scared.

AI asking for military tech I just discovered? Same as above.

AI asking for civics swap? Generally no, unless I am spiritual, then I might think about it. I dont want anarchy to adopt something suboptimal.

AI asking for religion swap? No, because I always use the religion that helps me most with diplomacy anyway.

And last but not least: AI asking you to stop trading with their worst enemy: I dont know if it is a bug or not, but this gives you neither 10 turns forced peace nor a diplomacy boost. So usually no.

9. mrwookie

mrwookie Chieftain

saying no to an embargo guives you a negative modifier though...

10. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

If you switch religions..sure you get peace with that AI...but then every other AI of your old religion now wants to make war with you.

You can push these demands out quite a ways with alot of the AI's and they won't do much. Just keep an eye if they are already cautious or worse with you.

11. Blahblahman123

Blahblahman123 Chieftain

I never say yes even if it means war:lol:

12. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I used to think like you, as I was probably used to playing earlier editions of the game. But in CivIV it seems like a good idea to give in to the petty stuff. Instead of regarding you a pushover and a future victim, the bully will actually not think any less of you - quite the contrary. :crazyeye:

13. EsaKo

EsaKo Prince

Yeah, giving in to tribute/help demands is a permanent (I think) diplo boost that doesn't anger anyone else. A pretty good deal because it always comes down to that single relationship point...

14. frizzy

frizzy Chieftain

:agree:

What they said. I learned in previous versions of Civ not to give away anything unless the Civ demanding it was in a position to pwn me.

Now, it does no harm to give away the small stuff, especially techs everyone else already knows anyway, and there's a benefit to it.

Also, if you gift old techs, than your strongest rivals can't sell them.

15. jauggy

jauggy Warlord

I play with tech brokering off so the amount of techs that I have available for trade is significantly less. Thus when someone demands a tech it is a very tough decision.

Giving a tribute is not a permanent diplo boost. It will go away over time. Same with any negative penalties from refusing a demand. Its in the Civ4LeaderHeadInfos.xml - look for MemoryDecay

16. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

I remember a time when I had just upgraded a bunch of stuff up to rifles in a peaceful game and was left with like 26 :gold: (still with a positive income of +100 gpt). Monty just happened to decide it would then be a good time to demand my entire treasury... of 26 :gold:. I shook my head and gave him his shut-up money. I think it was a bargain really :rolleyes:

But yes I love off-continent nations demanding tribute pre-astro. Those automatically get an insta-reject from me.

17. King Kalmah

King Kalmah Magyar Madness

My question is if you declare war on your ally's best friend will you ally ever forget it?

I played a game where I wiped out my enemy,but my ally would always have a negative 2 even after I had like 14 or 12 positive modifiers...share religion/helped in other wars,but still never forgot that I pwned his best frined in the year 2500bc....

18. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Since I'm doing some modding of my own on the RFC mod at the moment I noticed something interesting that the author of that mod has included in his Python code: When the AIs discover certain techs their memory will be cleared. I believe Communism was one of those, and it actually makes sense to divide World History into different epochs with each their own conflicts. So stuff that happened in another time altogether don't affect the present, modern world.

Or I could just have misinterpreted the code. :rolleyes:

19. fenrus

fenrus Chieftain

I agree, it's totally situational. If they're asking for something small, I will usually give it. If they could crush me, I will probably give in. If they ask for a military tech, probably not. If they are super weak, I'll probably give it to them because their relations might come in handy and they pose no threat to me.

Also, you can get some pretty awesome relation points for giving them help. I think it was Zara, I gave in to his demand and I immediately got a
    +1 you gave us help
    +4 our trade relations have been fair and forthright.

And Zara is a pretty good ally to have with you (though he is usually a teching beast but he was blocked off with only 4 cities that game).

20. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

You demand my fish resource in the BCs? Sure, knock yourself out; thanks for the diplo boost.