AI making a beeline for the player

OnmyojiOmn

Prince
Hi,

I've played a lot with 0.81 and I've found that many games are ruined by AIs from across the globe inexplicably declaring war on me simply because I'm a human, when there are much better targets closer to them. I'm sure this has to do with the AI, and not anything obvious like strength score or disposition. It makes me ragequit every time it happens and it's the reason I've stopped playing.

My understanding is that this has been recurring problem with BBAI. Has it been addressed/fixed since 0.81? If not, is there a known version I could try downgrading to? What about 1.0?

Thanks

Can you be more specific on what do you mean with "AIs from across the globe inexplicably declaring war on me simply because I'm a human, when there are much better targets closer to them" ? From my experience, 95% of the persons that say something like that ( not only of BBAI, but of the game in general ) fulfill atleast one of the next:

-Have a pitiful military*, hence being considered by the AI as easy pickings

-Have little or no concern in managing diplo with those AI , resulting in having atleast some seriously pissed AI with the player

-Have refused demands of someone far more powerful than them

The other 5% are normally from bad luck rolls ( as long as you have a RNG in the decision making you should expect some of this ) , leaders that don't care much about distances in terms of DOW decisions , simple maniacs like Monty that will consider someone close of him with 195% of his power a valid target, stuff from events/AP, dogpiling issues and the issues with the diplo averaging when vassals are involved.

Now if you have a situation like " Asoka was pleased with me all the time, in the other side of the world, pissed with his imediate neighbours that were weaker than him, I had 3 times his power and I was dowed by him!!!!! There were no AP issues, no vassals, no events in the log and i haven't refused anything from him !" I definitely want to see it .... because that is making a beeline to the player :p

*EDIT : With pitiful I mean anything below the leader iMaxWarDistantPowerRatio ( as seen in CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.XML ).

Now if you have a situation like " Asoka was pleased with me all the time, in the other side of the world, pissed with his imediate neighbours that were weaker than him, I had 3 times his power and I was dowed by him!!!!! There were no AP issues, no vassals, no events in the log and i haven't refused anything from him !" I definitely want to see it .... because that is making a beeline to the player :p
Things like that. An AI will declare on me when my power rating is only slightly below its own, there is another AI civ with much lower power rating that's much closer, and its disposition toward me is very high or at least higher than for the smaller AI. Or, on a small landmass with several civs at about the same power rating, distance, and diplomatic situation, the AI goes for the player almost every time. Lots of variations of the same problem.

Random thought: the player is usually "player 0". Could it be an order of war decl checking issue?

There is no human player bias in the AI war declarations at all. I would need saves to be able to comment better on specifics, the saves can be from any point in the game (preferably before the AI declares war) and any prior version of BBAI.

Relations, relative power, and proximity are the main pieces the AI considers. It also matters whether you are embroiled in other wars or not, as a player who is already at war is an easier target.

Yakk: Player number would only play a role if the value of declaring war on two civs was exactly the same ... 791 to 791 or something. This is extremely rare. Otherwise the AI picks the one with the highest value.

Top Bottom