AI military score on Deity...wha..?

ZeroSuitSenpai

Warlord
Let me preface this by saying I am NOT that good of a player and have never won deity before. I never played on Deity before (tho played a lot on Emperor) and never really went for dom victories (mostly culture or science). To try out something different, I decided to play a domination France game.

Early game I settle two cities and meet Mongolia. They basically insta-DOW but I manage to fend them off with some archers and make peace before I settle 2 more cities for a total of 4. Fast-forward to beginning of industrial and I am ready to war with some knights, garde imperials, crowssbowmen, bombards. Now, I haven't been paying much attention to the millitary scores in the game up until this point, but I immediately notice something strange...

I am sitting at 550 military score, and Mongolia has 71. Huh? I invade his lands and he has like 2 crossbowmen and a knight to defend. Confused, I look at the other Deity AI's millitary scores. WTF? Spain at 21 score, Egypt at 80, Korea at 10. ???? What's going on? The only one with a score over 100 is Canada at 224 and he's also ahead in every other category (sci, culture).

Uh? I guess I just take over the world now but I am so baffled. Why don't they have any defenses at all?

I am wondering if it has anything to do with mods I have installed? But none of the mods I have should modify gameplay they're all just UI and QOL stuff.

Last edited:
Wait so this has been going on since the Sept 2020 patch and still hasn’t been fixed..? Bruh...

I appreciate making the AI more competitive in science but now they have no armies at all lol.

EDIT: Hmm ok after reading through the thread I went ahead and adjusted the science value in the xml from 150 to 15. There were some other value adjustments suggested in the thread but I'm not too keen on changing the AI a bunch so I will report back after trying same strat tonight (deity dom france) and see if the AI seems to build more of a military force.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been saying this for a while now and I keep getting "nobody wants carpets of doom" type retorts. I'd be happy if at the bare minimum Civ VI AI built Civ V armies. Pretty small ask here.

Wait so this has been going on since the Sept 2020 patch and still hasn’t been fixed..? Bruh...

I appreciate making the AI more competitive in science but now they have no armies at all lol.

EDIT: Hmm ok after reading through the thread I went ahead and adjusted the science value in the xml from 150 to 15. There were some other value adjustments suggested in the thread but I'm not too keen on changing the AI a bunch so I will report back after trying same strat tonight (deity dom france) and see if the AI seems to build more of a military force.

Just following up on this. I've played a few games since changing the science value in the xml from 150 to 15 and it seems to have brought the AI back to normal in terms of armies. Many civs with at least 400+ military score in my games now.

Yeah, I've been saying this for a while now and I keep getting "nobody wants carpets of doom" type retorts. I'd be happy if at the bare minimum Civ VI AI built Civ V armies. Pretty small ask here.

With the Real Strategy mod, I'm getting big armies quite fine. In the current game I'm sitting at 900 military score in the early Industrial Era, most of the AIs are still at a higher score than me (Rome is sitting at more than 2000), and I don't feel like I have a small army.

So yeah, I recommend using that mod. I also use Better Balanced Game for this game, but I don't think it's changes will have significant effects on the AI.

I went ahead and changed my values as well. Normally, I'm a purist and like to play the game with a minimum of mods and changes. But this final patch change is just annoying.

I've also been messing around with unit values like the strength of anticav units which I feel should be higher. I also increased scout movement to 4 which might be a little too powerful. But I kind of like it.

I remember messing around with the values in the vanilla game, but of course every patch would revert everything back to normal. Now the game is "finished", I feel more free to mess around with the values. Only bad thing is I'm not the most organized, and don't keep track of my changes. In 2 months time I'll forget which values I edited.

I went ahead and changed my values as well. Normally, I'm a purist and like to play the game with a minimum of mods and changes. But this final patch change is just annoying.

I've also been messing around with unit values like the strength of anticav units which I feel should be higher. I also increased scout movement to 4 which might be a little too powerful. But I kind of like it.

I remember messing around with the values in the vanilla game, but of course every patch would revert everything back to normal. Now the game is "finished", I feel more free to mess around with the values. Only bad thing is I'm not the most organized, and don't keep track of my changes. In 2 months time I'll forget which values I edited.

It's not that hard to make an actual mod though. With LeeS's modding guide pinned somewhere in the mod creation forum a mod that simply changes values is like 2-3 hours of discovery to figure out and then it's practically the same effort as changing the xml files themselves.

It's not that hard to make an actual mod though. With LeeS's modding guide pinned somewhere in the mod creation forum a mod that simply changes values is like 2-3 hours of discovery to figure out and then it's practically the same effort as changing the xml files themselves.

Unless you are on console or mobile

My point stands. This is ridiculously shoddy

I've heard it's possible on Mobile, there are some mods from the workshop that fix this problem (Real Strategy and some others) and there should be a guide somewhere to download from the workshop and load to Mobile.

Too bad for console players though.

I've heard it's possible on Mobile, there are some mods from the workshop that fix this problem (Real Strategy and some others) and there should be a guide somewhere to download from the workshop and load to Mobile.

Too bad for console players though.

It might be possible for a jailbroke iPhone or iPad from what I see in the forums but apparently console people and regular mobile people don’t matter to the publisher

Top Bottom