AI never colonizes in terra

amboo

Chieftain
Has anyone else had this problem, where you are the only person in the new world? every terra game I play its been like that.

A well known problem with the AI.

I have seen some settling of cities overseas though (always a nearby island, never over the ocean).

anyone know of any mods planned for the future, terra has always been my favorite map

As the AI gets improved via patches, issues like this will disappear. Until then, prepare to be disappointed when you play maps like Terra.

If the patches stop improving the AI, well, when the C++ is available you can expect modders to do it instead.

The AI never colonizes in Terra? Why should it? Heavy expansion is punished in Civ V. I don't even know why that map is available in this game.

The AI never colonizes in Terra? Why should it? Heavy expansion is punished in Civ V. I don't even know why that map is available in this game.

You might want to check up some ICS stuff before saying that :)

What punishes heavy expansion is the fact the game will start crashing when you get enough cities and units. I just played on a Huge map where I couldn't start a war because they game would start crashing within a turn or two. I had over 60 cities and AI had colonized rest of the Fractal map pretty well. However I could finish up my spaceship after loading and staying peaceful.

As the poster above said, you might want to at least criticize the game for correct reasons. Most are now complaining the ICS-expansion is the overpowered meta strategy.

As the poster above said, you might want to at least criticize the game for correct reasons. Most are now complaining the ICS-expansion is the overpowered meta strategy.

I know that, but I avoid using it, so I'm stuck with the badly balanced normal expansion.

Another reason why colonizing is pretty much pointless in Terra maps:

there's no incentive (barring ICS) in that the only reason any player decides to expand is to acquire new happiness resources, and at this point it appears that the "New World" does not have any luxury resources the "Old World" doesn't have.

I love Terra too for the colonization age. It's the first map type I played in CiV, and I was also disappointed (thankfully CiV didn't crash and none of the worst bugs happened during my first game, but I never finished that game nonetheless).

Yeah, having the same problems. I generally always play the terra map and used to enjoy the rush for the new world in Civ 4. Played a few games in Civ 5 and so far I have never been into the modern era yet because I get so frustrated that other leaders refuse to exploit new land.
Im realling hoping this gets fixed in the new patch.

I find the AI goes colonisation mad in the late game on continents maps. If there is open space, they'll have a settler on the way.

I think it's just that the AI is terrible (yeah, I know they're pretty terrible at everything, but even MORE terrible!) when it comes to anything related to water/crossing the ocean/etc. They sure as hell have no problem with land grabs on their own continents, seeing how everyone's had the AI found a city like 6 hexes from their capital and then complain. Hopefully it's one of those AI flaws that it patched up.......

Top Bottom