1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ai never votes for all foreign trade routes (un)?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by krp312, Dec 16, 2007.

1. krp312

krp312 Chieftain

why does the ai never vote for all foreign trade routes?

2. Verge

Verge Let's hug it out

I haven't noticed a problem getting that particular resolution passed. Particularly recalcitrant civs tend to oppose it, but that's to be expected.

3. Bobbalouie

Bobbalouie Chieftain

I've occaissionally had this happen to me too. I never put much thought into it, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's cause, unlike the majority of us, the AI knows how trade routes work. They know exactly which cities will go where depending on what's allowed, so they might not want an enemy civ to benefit from having trade routes with their cities.

That or some of them are just @#$%^.

4. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

If the AI maxed out their foreign trade routes and is stuck using domestic routes in smaller cities, it makes sense that they don't care about adding more.

5. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

I agree with DaveMcW. If a civilization is large or has few trading partners, then adding extra trade routes will benefit its competitors more than it will benefit itself. It's like giving your enemy a 50% increase in trading profits so that you yourself might get a 10% increase (values exaggerated).

I don't actually know if the AI is smart enough to understand this. Maybe it is just some programmed stubbornness or isolationism. For instance, Tokugawa is programmed to be pretty isolationistic.

I do know that I will not propose this treaty or vote against it when it is proposed by others when I'm a big civilization and have maxed out my foreign trade routes.