AI Not "Appreciating" Gifted Units?

Hurin

Chieftain
Hi All,

I recently had a small annoyance. I was the superpower in my game. I had been on friendly terms with the nations immediately surrounding me (Egypt, English). However, the Arabian Empire on the far side of our continent had a bad habbit of habitually attacking me and my friends.

Now, having saved England's bacon just a decade or two prior and giving them back the cities they had lost to Saladin, I wasn't in any mood to fight the same war all over again when Saladin attacked the English yet again. . . so instead, I sent my expeditionary force (of cavalry and infantry when all she had were Redcoats and Catapults) down to the British, put them right up against their border with the Arab Empire, and gave them the whole stack. This seemed to do the trick as the English quickly reclaimed their city and even went on the offensive.

All of that was *very* cool. Except a few turns later when Elizabeth called me up and asked me to join her in the war against Saladin. When I refused, she claimed I refused to help her!

Now, shouldn't giving her my entire offensive force count as help and if not be considered as such by the game, then at least be appreciated enough by the AI to offset any ill will generated by my decision not to formally join her in the war?

I doubt this is the first time that this has come up. . . but is there any hope that this is addressed in Warlords? Or is it possibly something that can be Mod-ed? The ability to wage "war by proxy" is a fun feature, but it also has some (slightly) annoying issues that sorta ruin the fun.

Best,

H

When gifting units or cities you will sometimes (I'm not sure what factors are involved) get a "you gave us gifts +1" bonus or something. For gifting resources you sometimes get "we appreciate the years you have provided us with resources +1" and for gifting techs you sometimes get "you have shared your technological discoveries with us +1". There is never a guarantee that you will get the bonus.

Well, that' could help offset things I suppose. . . but there really should be some level of degree in there. You should get a lot more appreciation for giving 20 cavalry versus just one. A big city versus a recently conquered barbarian city of population 1, etc.

Of course, that may just be pipe-dreaming and may have to wait until Civ V.

H

Hurin said:
Well, that' could help offset things I suppose. . . but there really should be some level of degree in there. You should get a lot more appreciation for giving 20 cavalry versus just one. A big city versus a recently conquered barbarian city of population 1, etc.

Of course, that may just be pipe-dreaming and may have to wait until Civ V.

H

True, but the designers probably did it this way to reduce/eliminate the possibility of the players exploiting the AI easily.

Top Bottom