AI not settling

Xanthippus

Warlord
So I'm using the latest SVN, and am 3598 turns in on eternity using Redwallzyl's GEM. Some AI can not get enough of settling, and are totally ignoring any of the limits placed on them by civics. Others are not settling at all. For example, Zulu are expanding like mad. They have 12 cities. The Egyptians still only have one. I even tried going into the world builder to give the slack civs some settlers, but they won't use them, they just end up disbanding them.

I'm guessing it's a long stretch that people can tell me why this is happening, but thought I would ask. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you been updating your SVN version while playing the game? 3000+ turns into an eternity game speed means you've been at it for awhile. What SVN version are you currently using?

Redwallz Map has Not been updated since mid March. There ave been AI adjustments since that time.

Eternity game speed is known for altering AI behavior and game mechanics. 14,000+ turns is very hard to balance.

Also you have not stated if you are using any of the Leader trait Options as these will Greatly affect how different AI behave.

Details, screenshots, and/or save games really help to decipher if there is a problem or not.

JosEPh

What I've seen in our game recently is that some AIs are getting blasted by other AI Criminal/Strike Team units and being held down very effectively this way.

If the civ can't economically justify trying to grow, it won't. It's possible some traits may influence that strongly for some leaders as well, particularly since the economic side of the game is seriously difficult now - at least until a point in the game where it becomes much easier from what I'm told... haven't seen where that starts happening yet but I'm looking for the shift!

If the civ can't economically justify trying to grow, it won't. It's possible some traits may influence that strongly for some leaders as well, particularly since the economic side of the game is seriously difficult now - at least until a point in the game where it becomes much easier from what I'm told... haven't seen where that starts happening yet but I'm looking for the shift!

Yeah, I think you guys have done a really wonderful job balancing the economy. Last time I tried the game, about a year ago, it was ludicrously easy to earn money and there was no challenge to expansion. It definitely feels right now... pacing expansion and careful economic management makes it possible to stay afloat, but not easy. Shame the AI isn't handling it so well.

Here is the save: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...BUKYBMjn5e996Y&ithint=file,CivBeyondSwordSave

I updated the SVN about a week ago.

Understandable it would be hard to balance so many turns. Is there a recommended game speed?

I did select focused traits. Also forgot to mention that I am using Toffer90's civics modmod, which I assume might affect things also.

Suggested Game speeds Snail, Marathon, Epic, and Normal; the 2 fastest are also *more balanced (*in my testing so far)

Toffer's Civics have not had significant testing yet. (But has promise)

Focused Traits should be okay, but still some leaders will perform better than others.

And agree with what T-brd posted.

JosEPh

Toffer's Civics have not had significant testing yet.
The reboot version, which is the one I will continue developing when I get some RL stuff in order, is really not in a playable state yet.

The original version can be played but is merely a proving ground I started making to familiarize myself with the potential (what can and can't be done) of civics as a concept.

Experimental version is also playable but probably have more issues than the original as I started expanding the modmod to a lot of game mechanics outside civics like difficulty, game speed, and map size parameters.

Have been using your original version Toffer.

Upon further investigation in the world editor, the problem seems to be more endemic in those civs that aren't settling... they're not doing a lot of things. Most of them have literally no military, they are not building improvements, and they are super far behind in technology (as one would expect). They are still building things in their one city though.

They just seem to be frozen, and they are succumbing to the aggressive AIs. The Zulu have conquered from their homeland, through Congo, Egypt and have just taken Babylon. Quite an impressive empire for the Ancient era. lol I noticed that they had several revolution events along the way, but it did not stop them. Very strange problem, that some civs are just frozen, and other civs don't seem to be able to stop.

Here is a screenshot: http://s16.postimg.org/yito0pvat/India.jpg

I'm attempting to see if I can give them a bit of a kick in the arse to do SOMETHING by adding cities, units, improvements etc. Fingers crossed... because otherwise I'm going to abandon this game. It's pretty boring when there are ridiculous super powers like the Zulus cutting through techs like a hot knife through butter vs. a bunch of city states sitting around doing nothing, still in the palaeolithic.

I have noticed a few rogues around, so perhaps there are a few aggressive civs sniping others and that's why they have nothing. Is it possible to disable all stealth units? And if I did so, would it break my game?

Try playing without traits in your next game by enabling the No Negative Traits and Start Without Positive Traits options and disabling all other options which have to do with traits. That could help because traits are unbalanced. I would also leave out Toffer's Civics.

I always have "No Negative Traits" ticked, and "Start Without Positive Traits" unticked, and "Developing Leaders" ticked. I lately play with "Alternate Traits" (or how it was called) ticked.

I think it's most fun. :)

After quite a bit of testing by starting over and over and over on different maps, with different settings... I have finally come to the conclusion that it is Toffer's modmod that are the culprit. I can play on Redwallzyl's GEM with focused traits no problemo. It's a real shame, as I love the changes you've made Toffer.

Well as Toffer stated his Modmod is still a work in progress. I'm sure he would be delighted to hear what was good and what was not so good. Maybe in his Civics Modmod thread?

JosEPh

What I've seen in our game recently is that some AIs are getting blasted by other AI Criminal/Strike Team units and being held down very effectively this way.

Totally agree with that in every settings. AI have some difficulty with criminals units. In all my gam, there are some civs far behind the others because of this

I have some AI plans mapped out to help the AI address Criminal and Strike Team units more effectively but it's complicated and may be tough to implement. I may shave those down a bit to see if I can still get something at least somewhat improved there. The next version for me is shaping up to mostly be about developing these kinds of unit interactions to a balanced state.

After quite a bit of testing by starting over and over and over on different maps, with different settings... I have finally come to the conclusion that it is Toffer's modmod that are the culprit. I can play on Redwallzyl's GEM with focused traits no problemo. It's a real shame, as I love the changes you've made Toffer.
Could you test the latest reboot edition of my civic modmod? If you still experience this issue I would very much like to know what game options you play with. ;)

Top Bottom