1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI NPCs: Bards, Traders, Pilgrims, etc

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Medieval: Conquests' started by Kailric, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Kailric

Kailric Jack of All Trades

This is a list of NPC (None Player Characters) ideas, types, or some that we are considering.

Pilgrims: These are already in the game. They start to appear when you build a Shrine in one of you monasteries. They will travel to you shrine to worship leaving behind a bit of gold and culture.

Troubadours, Bards, etc: These would be attracted by Inns and Taverns. Could give a temporary boost to an Inn’s production of Culture.

Traders: I am working on these at the moment. Traders (Peddlers and Merchants) will travel by land to their respective Trade Routes. They will also sell goods to Cities, specifically the Desired Good of that city. I also will add the ability for the Player to select a “desired good” for Peddlers for each of his cities. Then the Peddlers will travel to your city which will trigger an event so that you can trade with the Peddler if you desire.

2. drjest2000

drjest2000 Chieftain

I saw the foreign trader in the PAK file and wondered if you were headed in the direction of wandering traders. I like this idea, almost as much as I like the idea of milkmaids >_<

Every time I start crawling through NIFs, I find the one of the hot blond female priestess with the settler's staff and I think "now there's a milkmaid".

Troubadours are a very cool idea. I don't know what the mechanics are of a "golden age" in Civ 4, but historically, troubadours as they are commonly understood in modern times were usually associated with what can be termed a "golden age" of Aquitaine and the high water mark of the "Angevin Empire" (an anachronistic term for the Norman domain at its height ca. 1150 - 1217). About the time that Philip Augustus puts the smack on the Normans in France, Pope Innocent III fires up the Albigensian Crusade or Cathar Crusade (1209 - 1229) and guts the whole society that created and supported troubadours, creating what would later become the Inquisition in the process.

I was thinking about the Inquisition earlier this evening and how it might be used in M:C. The Dominicans were often called "the wolves of the Inquisition" (obviously not by their fans), so I wonder if the players with Popes over them might have the Inquisition roll over them instead of a Civ4Col military invasion.

Picture a pop-up "The Inquisition had discovered that your milkmaid is a witch! She has been burnt at the stake."

Admittedly, when the Pope declared a king to be an apostate and excommunicated him, and usually Anathematized him and put his whole kingdom under Interdiction (King John got a dose of this), it turned into a military field exercise with all kinds of Papal assurances that whoever killed the apostate king would wear a crown in Heaven (etc), but for the most part, kings lived every day with that sort of threat (military invasions) -- but the idea of the Inquisition rolling into town filled them with a serious mortal dread because of the far reaching disorder and destruction it wrought on the social infrastructure of their kingdoms.

Edit: the part I left out was "Dominican friars as AI Units" with a negative impact, AKA, a visit from the Inquisition when the Pope is righteously torqued off at you

3. Kailric

Ahh, yeah the inquisition. The inquisitor would be a great NPC that the Pope uses when he is upset with you. It could be used instead of a Censure. The Inquistor would roam your cities looking for anything out of place, which he always finds something, of course, before returning back to the pope. Yep, sounds like a lot of milkmaids are gonna be set on fire:lol::eek::mad:

We need to find a good spot for them milkmaids and get them in the game, besides potential human shishcabobs :D

Well, I have the traders moving around pretty good. The AI can use the Peddler profession now. Peddlers will load goods and search for any Native villages that desire that good, if none they will march on to a Trade Route and sell goods there and buy what's needed. They will also buy from Native villages.

I plan to tie in a Player's City's Imports. If an AI Trader sees a players city that needs his wares as an Import he will travel there and make the player a Deal.

This gives me the idea of the Player being able to Automate his Peddlers and they do the trading for him. You can set a Peddler to gather Spice and it will travel around gathering spice before returning back home. Perhaps even gaining trader experience.

4. drjest2000

drjest2000 Chieftain

I had the Pope furious at me last night, the surprising part was that it happened before turn 25. I started things off on a bad foot with him though, telling him to stuff it every time. I had just gotten three good treasures to the city on the same turn and had 3600 in the bank, and don't you know, the Pope pops up and demands 3200. Well, you know I told him no. Next think I know it seems like he's hitting me with a new demand (and censure) every other turn and has gone from annoyed to furious. I'm pretty sure that playing M:C on the hardest level will NOT be a walk in the park >_<

I stopped playing when I was fairly certain that invasion force was just two or three turns away.

I dread to imagine how things would have been running with an Inquisitor showing up every time I said "no" to the pope, I probably would have been left with nothing but one outlaw and a bag of not all that magical beans.

5. Kailric

The pope's demands happens no more often than the kings in vanilla. Just cencures instead of tea parties. The inquisitor would be used instead of a censure so you'd get a short break from that but will have to be worries about the inquistor's actions. I am brewing some ideas on that.

The best strategy to use is to keep your treasure units intacked until you need the cash. Maybe with a Mint or some other building it would keep your money more safe from the pope, so his max amount to request would be lowered.

6. drjest2000

drjest2000 Chieftain

Hrmmmm... How about a sort of protected storage that requires a new unit to build it, like an Exchequer or Chancellor. "Treasury" seems a little limp, but that's the only word that I can think of at 3 AM.

Not sure if the DLL would allow it, but lets say it would hold the treasure units in the slots, but for balance let's say you could only have a maximum of three or four treasure units holed up in it. Like an immobile land ship or something.

And I thought of Witch-hunter NPCs >_<

7. Kailric

Not sure if I understand your suggestion correctly. I am thinking you mean that you can unload your Treasure units into a "treasury" and then spend the gold from there but the pope can't touch it? That's a good suggestion, however, it would take a good bit of coding though.

Witch-hunters, how would they work in the game and how would they differ from Inquisitors?

Edit: btw I did find a bug that would cause the Pope to raise tither more often than he should so you was correct in you assessment. I fixed this in the latest push to git.

8. drjest2000

drjest2000 Chieftain

The chief difference is that the Inquisitor comes because of the Pope being unhappy, the Witch-hunter just comes and stirs up trouble. Think of the unit like a Papal privateer, kind of like the Saracens, Bandits, and Marauders. He just starts showing up when a city passes the 200 culture threshold and stirs up trouble of some kind. Let's say that if he makes three accusations, it automatically brings in the Inquisition.

"A traveling witch-hunter has accused your milkmaid of being a witch."

Then you have to find the dirty rat before he fires off twice more.

It's not an idea I'm in love with, but the Inquisition makes me chuckle in a very unhealthy manner >_<

9. Kailric

With the new Civics I am planning on adding some new Professions; the Envoy, The Inquisitor, the Bandit(or Robber Barron perhaps), and the Slaver to name a few. These will be unlocked through Civic Choices. The AI will also use these new Professions as well. So, I am looking for ideas on what their functions could be.

Drjest gave some ideas on Inquisitors and I mean to look up some more info on them.

The Envoy will basically be a Diplomat that you can send to a Foreign city and will help you with diplomatic affairs. I am still brain storming for ideas here on just what their effects will be.

The Bandit could have the ability to Steal Gold by attacking units. The Unit is not killed but returned to a friendly city wounded. To keep from exploiting this or becoming to powerful the Bandits could "go into hiding" and can not be selected for a time. Maybe only Criminals can be bandits. They can also steal Treasure Units :trophy2nd: Bandits don't hurt diplomatic relations.

Your Nobles can become Robber Barrons, and function much like Bandits but maybe with bonuses to attack and gold looted.

The Slaver could have a chance to enslave a Unit, or it escapes. It may have to go into hiding as well to keep from being over powered. Slavers hurt diplomatic relations.

So, if you have any ideas on these or other Units/Professions let me know.

10. Lib.Spi't

Lib.Spi't Overlord of the Wasteland

In order for there to be Inquisitors there really needs to be heresy..

Perhaps they could be launched during censures.. They could perhaps come to a city and steal gold (forfeiture of heretics property to Papal State) Or kill a person (executed as a heretic).

Or perhaps they 'attack' under certain religious civics, trying to route out the heresy in your kingdom.

11. Trade Winds

Trade Winds Chieftain

Envoy

Establish embassies. Whithout them you can't contact another civ, or start any commercial relations. Possibly too much micromanagement.

12. Kailric

Yeah, I started thinking the same thing. Like Drjest was saying they maybe more better suited for a event by the Pope than a profession for players.

I have actually thought of this too and while it would add to the realism it maybe like you say too much micro. Envoys could possibly add special agreements though, so that all the default diplomacy options are there you just get more with an Envoy.

13. Lib.Spi't

Yeah I prefer the 'bonus' version of the envoy, perhaps an alternative could be it sacrifices in a foreign city and gives like +1 diplo relation each turn (or however often) for that faction.

If that is even possible to code :D

14. orlanth

orlanth Storm God. Yarr!

Look through the XML tags for the FfH2 and Fall Further mods, IIRC they have coded Promotions tags for Envoys etc which can set a unit to influence diplomatic relations when in other civs' borders.
    Or they could build Embassies / Trading Posts equivalent in civs with <isNative>0.

15. Kailric

I've refreshed my memory of the Diplomacy code and I have come up with two ideas. For the Civic effect, you will gain a Attitude bonus that improves relations will all Civs. We can then make an Envoy Profession, with Brilliant Dignitaries being the best units for Envoys. Envoys will be unlocked through a Tech, perhaps Alphabet. You can send your Envoys on Diplomatic missions. These missions will improve relations for a time. The code has a "MemoryAttitude", and Leaders slowly forget things, so the Envoy will improve relations for a time but slowly the Leader will forget you sent an Envoy. Another Civic effect will be to Increase the effectiveness of Envoys.

Perhaps also the Envoy will have a new Command that will bring up the Diplomacy screen with the Leader and have a small bonus to negotiations. That way it is better to send Envoys but it doesn't cripple you or cause you to micro manage things in order to engage in Diplomacy.

With the Civic system we also need to implement LeaderHead attributes such as Favored Civics and Aversion Civics and if you have a Civic that another Civ Dislikes it will hurt relations.

16. Kailric

Marauders, Bandits, Vikings, and Saracen...

Pains in my thorn, but yet, fun to do battle with when I am at peace with everyone else, trying to build up my empire so I can declare war.

I want to revisit these guys and give them a much needed upgrade and facelift. Recently I ran into a Saracen, literally. I seen him hanging out in a nearby village and sent my best Warrior (a Veteran) to check him out(make him take a dirt nap). My guy was highly decorated (lots of promotions) and I was well confident he could do the job. The problem I was having was while the Saracen was staying at the village my AI Traders would lose their automation each time they got near. Anyway, by the time my Warrior arrive the Saracen had moved on, so I scouted around a few places then returned back to the village where I first saw him. Little did I know the Saracen was back there and my Warrior attacked him without me realizing what was about to happen (I didn't see the predicted battle results as my Trader had the Saracen hidden from sight). My brave Warrior fought hard, but the Saracen must have ate his wheeties that day and he took my Warrior down. I was saddened, but I plotted revenge.

Anyway, all this got me to thinking that the Saracen and such are in need of a better place to hang out besides a friendly city. Thus I feel they should be able to found base sites. Say a Saracen (or any of the other bad guys) who spends enough time roaming around will eventually decide to make a hideout. These hideouts will be hidden unless discovered by players. The Saracen will then have a base to hang out when he is not out saracening the peasantry. These Hideouts will also spawn new Saracen(Bandit Types). When a Bandit Type makes a kill they will generally head back to their Hideout and stash their goods. This makes these hideouts a good objective for players to earn some extra cash if they have the man power to kill all the defenders.

The Hideout itself could be a Unit type so it could actually be Hidden from sight as I am not sure if you can do Improvements this way, plus you are limited to only one Improvement to a tile. Anyway, the Player may have to attack the Hideout itself in order to eventually take down the Bandits and acquire their stash.

Finding the Hideout could be a challenge if it is Hidden as stated. The Player will have to pick up on the clues as to where the Bandits are coming from. Military units could have a new command called Find Hideout ( or something more cool sounding), where they would discover Hideouts if they are in the same spot, or further out depending on skill (promotions).

Currently I have built a few Strongholds to defend my realm against these Bandits but at the same time the Strongholds auto kill bandits so that takes away from the joy of killing them myself. So, I am thinking of alternatives. Perhaps Strongholds slow down the movement of Bandits to only one tile, and units inside the Stronghold gain a bonus vs Bandits, also the Peasantry could be safe from Bandits while resting in a Stronghold, unless the Bandits bring siege engines (Which they can spawn if their Hideouts are left active for too long).

Also, the Player himself can have his units take on the Bandit profession and they freely harass rival Civs without starting war. They mostly rob the peasantry and capture or rob Treasure units as well, but will need to return to their base camp in order to stash their gold. Bandits are not allowed to enter any city, so once a Bandit, always a Bandit and must sulk in the Forest and dark places (think Robin Hood).

And as for that Saracen who killed my best man at arms, well he attacked and defeated a Worker of mine, but my worker put up such a good fight it left the Saracen mortally wounded. I then sent in a Archer to finish him off, got some of my gold back too.:eekdance:

17. Lib.Spi't

I wonder if we could change strongholds so that they can only kill baddies if a soldier is stationed in them, and the soldier get the exp. credit?

This would allow you to secure your bodies and get some of that bandit killing satisfaction back.

18. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Chieftain Supporter

RaR has fort code, which mean colonies with "city walls" or fort improvement will shoot at nearby enemy units if there is a fortified musketman in the fort.

However we could make a new command for units: ambush. It stands/hides on a plot and attacks if a nearby unit approaches (possibly restricted by chance to win). Such an ambush attack would be automated and gain first strike. Isn't that partly what you are asking for?

19. Lib.Spi't

Yes I loved that RaR brought back the old fort shot from original Col.

It is sort of what we are talking about, currently strongholds 'auto-kill' animals and baddies next to it.

What I was suggesting was that the 'auto-kill' feature is only switched on when a unit is inside, and the unit gets the exp. for killing it, but without danger of losing or being hurt.

The idea of the potential for being killed but with some advantage, might be good, as any defense can be overwhelmed.

20. Fullerene

Fullerene Chieftain

Some ideas worth considering for the future:

I read sometime ago an article about pilgrims and how they didn't always go to pilgrimage voluntarily, instead they were forced to go as punishment of their crime(s).

It gave me idea for this mod. Addition to AI pilgrims, how about one of the players units could sometimes randomly become 'a sinner', and couldn't do work before (s)he has done pilgrimage to appointed monastery. After successful pilgrimage the unit would be freed from sin and maybe would also get some sort of bonus(experience/upgrade to specialist/religious points ?) to compensate the lost time. You could also make voluntary pilgrimages to foreign monasteries to gain the bonuses. Or maybe the destination of the pilgrimage would always be Pope's cities?

Which leads to another idea:
    There should be Holy Land / Jerusalem represented in the game somehow. So that you could make pilgrimages and Crusades.

And just small idea but could be the most useful:
    How about monasteries would automatically get prefix "Holy" or "St." to their names? And Castles should get prefix "Castle". For example: Holy York or St.Orleans or Castle Aachen
    So that it would be just quicker to spot the type of cities and it might look cool too.