1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI Nuclear war

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by chrisgatt7, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

In the log directory there is a diplomacy_modifiers.csv which has the historical turn values for each. The file is initialised every time you startup civ 6 but then just appends.
    It's a very cool csv for diplomacy... as long as you can filter in xml ... it even sees the way the AI thinks you see other civs diplomatically

Hrothbern likes this.
  2. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Lol. How did you even play the game without that?

3. king of nowhere

king of nowhere Warlord

I was nuked first by an AI around the 20th march (I remember what achievements I scored on that map), so AI nuking humans first is not a new thing. maybe it only happens on deity? seems like everyone who reported being nuked first was playing on deity, it would make sense that AI first strike on a human would be disabled otherwise.

Another weird thing about nukes and AI: when I get the message that AI is nuking a city, I often get several messages in the same turn, up to half a dozen. As if they were nuking the same city several times. which makes no sense, as one nuke already deals all the possible damage. even in that one game, I was nuked lots of times always on the same city, even if said city wasn't really doing anything. all my other cities were spared, and the AI never tried to nuke my army, which would have been far smarter.

As a side note, nukes aren't that powerful. modern tanks can resist one from relatively short range. Complete destruction within three tiles seem overkill, and it also makes war with regular units pointless.

One last question: some units with anti-air capability are also stated to provide protection from nukes, but does anybody know how that works?

4. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Maybe it gives the message for every tile that gets destroyed?

craney1987 likes this.
  5. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

I walked into a nuked territory once. I don't know who has nuked it, but later an Aztec jet fighter and an Aztec jet bomber bombed more things in the area so I guess the Aztecs did it.
    So they AI do use their planes (even though they do park them a lot) and they use nukes as a first strike weapon not only to retaliate.

6. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

7. Victoria

NP, I have seen some disparity between this log and reality especially in regard to the degradation values quoted so just be careful before making assumptions.

8. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Well....
    uhhh

So far I just tried out several branches in some interesting situations and played for enough turns to watch the AI react on it, if he does.
    Fooling around.

I started in November (birthday present and had not played CIV for >25 years) with very turtle like strategies, trying to keep them friendly, finding out the hidden agenda by the remarks they make etc, etc.
    But agression, well dosed, pays off very well, even if you are heading for a building empire as main strategy... so more insight was needed.

My current prime focus is how I can influence the main stategy of the AI, because the AI do adapt their focus/priority on what you do
    => where he is going to invest his resources in and how he goes to war with another AI, preferrably a stalemate war consuming military production
    Now I can add to the monitoring the Diplomacy value :D

One of those minor things I learned is that if you block an AI settler, achievable typical when the AI is forward settling, it pays off to let the settler come into your "territory", block the nice river spot you left open as bait, close him in with a new city, and by all means NOT capture that settler.
    The net result so far was that the AI will NOT build a new settler as long as his blocked settler is alive !
    Whether that is always so ? IDK. But I have yet to experience that it does not work.

Victoria likes this.
  9. Victoria

Nice spot with it not building another @Hrothbern will have to keep an eye on that exploit.

10. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

My feeling is that the AI's, once haven chosen a certain strategy, are pretty much single minded in pursuing it
    Whether it be that settling, or a certain GP type, or wanting cities from you
    and they stick to that strategy unless they recogniser, if they recognise, that they need to swap strategy.

I (think to) see that also with where they aim at gaining GP points.
    If you overwhelm a certain type early enough, they will not bother anymore and go for another type

11. Victoria

Certain secondary agendas like technophile really sway them, I often find a culture or tech agenda civ easy meat for many more turns early. When under attack it's like their agenda is still a higher priority.

I have seen a definite switch from domination to science when I held a capital and have a much stronger army.

I have also noted a stronger army just stops practically all DOW until you get warmonger points linking them in a sensible way. Maybe the joint war combines their army strengths too.

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Crossroads

The first nuclear test was a little off target, and not much damage, but the 2nd detonation underwater sunk 10 ships. And this is a nagasaki type weapon, not nearly as powerful as what we have today. It also heavily contaminated the area, and had any humans been on those ships, they would have got a heavy dose of neutron and gamma radiation.

That said, perhaps 3 tiles is overkill. But of course the tile distance system is pretty whacky in this game anyways. More so than past games. Because in real life, you can fit many districts and even wonders inside a city center. Here they are spread out across many tiles which leads you to believe that tiles can't have that great a diameter in kilomoters (maybe even 1/2 km). Especially when you factor in 1 unit per tile, then the tiles can only be 1/2km in diameter. But then you realize a hundred or so of these hexes is supposed to represent the entire circumference of the globe. The hexes both represent small distances and large distances at the same time. So I'm okay with the 3 tiles as is, especially considering how expensive nukes are to build.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  13. king of nowhere

king of nowhere Warlord

by "relatively short range" I meant "1-2 km for a tactical device, ten times as much for a strategical one". those are the distances involved in surviving a nuclear detonation at "close range". of course the ambiguity over the distance is caused by the tile system. still, if we take a city as reference, and we consider the city radius as a large metropolitan area, then units at the far border should still be able to mostly survive the blast.

14. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Tactical nuclear weapons of the NATO, as in the 70ies, before the cruise missiles, were the Honest John rocket and 8 inch howitzer and the 155 mm Artillery. As it happened my elder brother served at the Honest John and I at the motorised 8 inch howitzer (both for conscription duty)
    The 8 inch howitzer had shells of around 100 kilo, which we could shoot at max 25 km with an accuracy of better than 400 meter, with a nuclear load comparable to Nagasaki.
    Main purpose, as typical for artillery usage, was to heavily affect logistic movement of enemy army units. Deployement was close behind the front line to be able to shoot far beyond the front line and make nuclear wastelands at logistic hubs of the enemy.

15. chrisgatt7

chrisgatt7 Prince

The general tile range for nuclear weapons is not bad considering an archer can shoot with a two tile range ...

king of nowhere and Leyrann like this.
  16. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Yeah, play against India, and Montyzooma for that matter. Shocked me the first time I got mushroomed, and the mess after! Good stuff.

17. chrisgatt7

chrisgatt7 Prince

Now has anybody scene the AI build missle silos, forts or the runway improvement ??

18. chrisgatt7

chrisgatt7 Prince

You know it blows my mind how Rome has the ability from the legion to build forts but dosent.

Moderator Action: If you are going to post in a necro thread, please at least post on the topic of the thread. Thread closed.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.