AI requesting gifts - impact on relations?

chmilz

Chieftain
If an AI requests gifts, do I get a boost to relationship if I accept their demand?

i was wondering this as well. it seems that the AIs will denounce me, and then a few turns later pop up asking that i give them gifts. it's a bit counter-intuitive, and so i can only assume if you say yes it will counteract at least part of their negative opinion of you. but i've never done it because the demands are ridiculous, and so i don't know if it's simply the AI trying to be a bully.

Any kind of trade deal is one positive diplomatic modifier. Giving people free or cheap stuff doesn't necessarily make it better. When the AI isn't fond of you, it will offer you trade deals proportionate to your power/score/position ahead of theirs. When the AI is fond of you, they might offer decent price, even if you are more powerful. Even if they are orange face with you, if your ranking is relatively equal or behind, they might offer a substantial trade, if they are in a position of need, for their own lack of amenities or a strategic resource.

There is a multiplier for what the xml files call a "lopsided trade", so maybe the idea is that while you're in their bad books you can attempt to buy back their favour?

<Row Name="DIPLOMACY_SIGNIFICANTLY_LOPSIDED_DEAL" Value="40" />

Top Bottom