AI Spamming Offers for Strategic Resources?

SwirlSlayer

Chieftain
Hi, I was wondering if there's a way to prevent the AI from making offers for my strategic resources. I often want to conserve my strategics for later (for example, saving iron for cannons) but the AI really makes me not want to do that by sending me a billion offers for my strategics. It's very annoying, and I was wondering if there was a way to prevent this or make it so that the AI will never ask for strategic resources (ie. the player always has to initiate a strategic resources deal).

There is a line in the DiploAIOptions that prevents the AI from sending trade offers to the player, but that isn’t limited to strategic resources.

I don’t mind trading back and forth for SR’s but I’d really like to know what’s up with the values. In past versions if you had extra SR’s you could make ok gold selling them, which was nice if your economy was relatively weak. Now I’m playing (latest version/epic speed) and AIs are offering me literally 1 GPT for 3 horses. Meanwhile if I try to buy from the AI I get “Impossible” or the trade value is so exorbitantly high that I can’t buy anyway.

Like OP I also find it annoying that I can get access to a SR and the the second I hit “Next Turn” every Civ on my continent is asking for a worthless trade deal.

Yeah, I don't mind the offers either. But max offer I get is 1 GPT/resource which is hardly worth the deal given that I'm also giving a benefit to an opponent.

\Skodkim

Yes it does get a bit spammy from time to time when they all want to buy your horse/iron/whatever every few turns etc if you don't spend it. But it's mostly an early game issue as the spamming stops later, or well you use the resources later so there won't be that many free once to offer.

Which brings us to the hack/trick if you will. Just put one of the never ending processes in the build queue (farming, defence, culture ...) and then put in the units you have the resource for after it (swordmen, horsemen etc). The process will never be finished, so the units will never be built, but the resources are reserved for those units so they won't be up for sale. The units will be removed if you lack resources at one time or another tho such as if the raging barbs come a pillaging. But then you just redo the thing after that problem has been dealt with.

So problem solved without change any config files.

The problem imo is not the spam itself, but the ridiculous prices AI offers for my strategics. I mean 1-2 gpt for an oil or uranium in late game makes zero sense.

So are we going to get any comment on this?

I’m in late Renaissance/early industrial and right now SR values seem bugged or at least completely out of whack.

1-5 of my horses are only worth 1-2 GPT, while trying to buy them from a civ (that will even sell them) and suddenly the same number of horses are worth 3-4x more?

Iron is even more volatile. 3 iron from me has trade value ranging from the mid 100’s to literally 0 depending on who I’m trading with. Meanwhile trying to buy 2 iron from a Civ ranges from 1.1k value to over 8k value? Trade values vary dramatically based on quantity. 2 iron from Elizabeth is worth 1.5K but 3 is worth over 9.4k (she has 5 available to trade)?

I’ll report back once coal is up in my game.

There's no problem with the pricing. If they don't need the resource, they shouldn't pay anything for it. The real problem is that they shouldn't be offering the deal at all.

Top Bottom