1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI Stacking UNITS how????? And canI.....??

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by chrono_croz, Jun 20, 2020.

1. chrono_croz

chrono_croz Chieftain

I have run into a problem where the AI can stack as many units as it likes in a city, it will have an archer, horse archer, swordsman, spearman, chariot and catapult. ALL IN ONE CITY TILE!!!!! I have reset everything in the game back to default and tried doing a fresh install. No matter what I do this is constant in every game I start.

2. Bitterman

Bitterman Warlord

That's really weird. I've seen this happen sometimes when AI produces a unit in a city already defended by another one but never more than two and never for more than one turn.

Can you post a screenshot?

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Even better, a save file.

Victoria likes this.
  4. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I've seen the AI cheat and attack with a new unit in a city that already had a unit, and end up with two in the same hex, but I don't think I've ever seen it with more than 2.

5. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

It is an issue when the city is surrounded, sure. The units have nowhere to leave.
    I had similar issue last game [GS], as embarked units shown incorrect moves on land. I moved the most only to find out that my units are stacked on the same hex with no more moves. But that's a bug in pathfinding not a cheat.

You can mod the units per tile out easily btw.

6. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Nah, I've seen it happen many times where the AI unit had valid moves it could make out of the city, but instead preferred to attack, leaving multiple units stacked in the city at the end of the turn. Whereas the player is not allowed to attack with a unit in a city until the additional unit(s) have moved out first, even if there are no valid moves it can make without attacking. When the AI has different rules than the player, that's called cheating.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  7. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

The other day I was attacked by (iirc) two crossbows out of the same city center. I'm not sure how it happened but it sure was frustrating. Whether it's a bug or a cheat it has the ability to break the game.

8. NukeAJS

NukeAJS King

I'm pretty sure that can sometimes happen when one of your units is occupying the tile that has their (destroyed) encampment.

9. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Break the game?

Can you explain how?

10. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

If you end up in a situation where two units are sharing the same tile (this usually only occurs during when a city completes a production of a unit, and cannot move the unit out of the city because there are other units surrounding it), then the two units cannot attack and MUST move (you cannot end your turn), either forcing you to delete one unit or moving one of your units out of the center somehow.

The reports indicate the AI is capable of using and ATTACKING with those units without having to unstack the stack.

11. agonistes

Yes, I got that.

My point is, its hardly game breaking. Maybe makes it more interesting, if anything.

DemonMaster likes this.
  12. TheMarshmallowBear

It is game breaking because it's not supposed to work that way, as it only affects the AI, not the human player,

Additionally, it is without a doubt a bug, it is not by design.

Also, the 2 units 1 stack is game breaking as it often turn blocks you if it occurs to you, wihile the AI gets away with using it to their advantage. Fairly sure neither is by design.

oSiyeza and Mr. Shadows like this.
  13. agonistes

Not by design is not the same as game breaking. Nor is a bug.

Or maybe ‘game breaking’ has an ever widening definition just like ‘op’ does.

14. TheMarshmallowBear

To me GameBreaking means = prevents the game from functioning properly. I.e turn-blocking.

Mr. Shadows likes this.
  15. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

This is a bug that clearly breaks the One Unit Per Tile rule. If that isn't "game breaking" maybe water isn't wet and we should just argue about everything instead of playing video games.

TheMarshmallowBear likes this.
  16. agonistes

Then the game is broken beyond all hell... so how are you able to play?

I’ve got several games going at once... maybe I’m on a different patch.

17. Linklite

Linklite Prince

Game breaking normally refers to the game becoming either unplayable or losing any meaning (an example of the second meaning is like if you get an exploit that gives you infinite resources etc so the game becomes too easy). The AI cheating and gaining minor advantage isn't what I'd call game breaking. Cheating for sure, but it's not like it would make game unwinnable or anything. Don't know abiut these days, but AI used to cheat all the time in games. Probably easier to program that way.

Banazir864 and Sic like this.
  18. George Balogh

George Balogh Chieftain

I thinks this is OK. Imagine that, the game just follow the 1UPT rule, and they just popped the new unit of the fully surrounded and besieged AI city, out of the city. And the AI begin to attack and destroy your rear weak catapult units by one turn...