AI strength on different map types

Squidmaster

Warlord
I would really like to know better whether or not the AI performs better or worse in different types of maps. My personal experience on archipelago maps suggests that this is so, but I would love to round out my understanding.

On what type of map does the computer perform best? Worst? How does it do on highlands, arboreal, and lakes maps? What about other types?

Thanks for your time.

I would really like to know better whether or not the AI performs better or worse in different types of maps. My personal experience on archipelago maps suggests that this is so, but I would love to round out my understanding.

On what type of map does the computer perform best? Worst? How does it do on highlands, arboreal, and lakes maps? What about other types?

Thanks for your time.

The AI generally performs atrociously at naval warfare (and in general with ranged units, and its bombers), so maps that have the AI start in isolation and place a sea between the human and the AI, like archipelago, and small continents with high sea level will advantage the human (unless you start in complete isolation before Astronomy) The peaceful human will be left alone, and be able to afford a very small army, improving his performance in other aspects. If played more aggressively, especially with a maritime Civ, it is easily overpowered. On very high difficulties, however, this can prevent (or at least delay) you from using some of the usual means to catch up in tech, like espionage (you discover too many of the other civs quite late and thus you're limited in your targets for tech stealing) and science from the TR.

Most AI seem to perform best on continent-type maps, where the few Civs with naval advantages (like England) will do well, but the other land-based Civs will also do well.

Pangea solidly disadvantages Civs like England.

I haven't played the other map types you mentioned.

On the region map scripts: Those are pangena and generally even fewer coastal cities possible so extreme disadvantage to the few civs with naval advantages.

In addition:

Highlands: Makes Incas super powerful.

Forest maps: Makes Irqouis super powerful. Also gives a big advantage to Celts

Lakes map: Makes Aztecs super powerful.

Thanks guys. Does the computer have any technical issues playing on highlands or other specialty maps along the lines of the issues it has on small island maps?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to determine whether or not the computer is having issues in some multiplayer games I have been involved with lately on account of the map choices we are making or purely because the games are multiplayer. I am aware that the multiplayer AI has many critics, but I don't know how far that goes.

Most recently, three of us are playing cooperatively on a lakes map so we could have some fun with the Aztecs. By about turned 100, none of our computer opponents have more than two cities. I thought maybe they had trouble with irrigation from lakes instead of rivers or something like that, and thus did not grow their capitals as early in order to create a good base from which to build settlers. It seems likely based on what you guys are saying that the computer is just incompetence in multiplayer, even on immortal setting. That is a real shame if true. Is there any way to combat this? Fan mods, game settings, or what have you?

That's odd, in my Prince level multiplayer games, the AI usually has more than just 2 cities, no matter what map type.

Top Bottom