AI Surrender Needs Some Work

Peacemongerer

Prince
Setup: I'm Byzantium and Pocatello tries to sneak-attack me with an army of like 10 pikemen (first time I've been sneak-attacked in BNW outside of Scramble for Africa, btw... a nice change). However, I went tradition, which gives me a huge frontier to deal with... he's got to cross two rivers and wide-open floodplains to get to me.

In short, he fails miserably when I get the war machine going and he's forced to retreat across rivers and miles of floodplains; crossbow bolts rain on his head as my cataphract clean-up his four trebuchets (which never even got to my cities) from the rear. As he realizes the war is lost and retreats, he's hemorrhaging money and his treasury is almost empty. His only resources of value are salt (which I already have, so he can't trade) and 6 horses. He is willing to offer me an even peace even while he's still on the offensive, but all I do is wait for my units to heal-up so my military looks bigger in the AI's eyes. At this point:

My forces: 3 crossbowmen, 4 pikemen, a cataphract, a general and a trebuchet.
His forces: at least one pikeman that I can see plus some units probably lurking near his capital.

He hands me 9 population Te-Moak without more than one unit setting foot into his territory. Normally, this would seem like a reasonable concession given my numbers, except the AI seems to ignore the fact he had the his UA, 2 rivers, Defender of the Faith and the Great Wall standing between me and his nearest city. I had absolutely no chance of taking his city if he'd started churning-out units, but he hands me a third of his empire and his only strategic resources left. This is the same algorithm where an AI in way worse shape down to his last city at 2 hp and no units won't even offer you the 5 gold in his treasury to sue for peace.

The peace AI is in need of some work. They never seem to give up lump sum gold or any luxury resource, no matter the situation. However, they'll give up 100+ gpt and all the cities easily if you have even a slight advantage.

Last game as England on Emperor, I got lucky and got an early ruin spearman. I walk up to Arabia and stole a worker, then proceed to park the spearman right outside of city range. 10 turns later, the AI offer to give up it's 2nd size 5 city.

I'd like it if they could trade their capitols. That's often all I want. Save us both some time!

I've had several where I am marching on their capital with obviously superior forces (sometimes they have none), and the try to demand several of my cities for peace. My response is obvious.

Once, I tried removing all my cities from the list, and they said yes immediately. I have no idea why they asked for so much, and so many civilisations have been ground to dust because of this simple mistake of theirs....:king:

Top Bottom