1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI tech rate Way to Slow!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Realyn, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Realyn

Realyn Warlord

Hey,

first of all: sorry for my bad english, just wanted to ask, if u noticed the same thing.

I played a game on Immortal/Conti/Normal and got a normal start with the new Crea/Fin Civ with 2 silver mines in my territory.

So, I was on an island with Mansa and HC! All three of ous got the same Religion and there was no war at all.
    Now the odd thing : 100. AC i got a Tech Lead on both Mansa AND HC without a war. i Think i got Theo, Paper, Compass and Constr. on both.

U know, ist just Odd. in Warlords at ~500 BC - 200 AC, HC/Mansa are running away with the Tech Lead, especially at that level.

But its a good thing to happen. They tech slower, but they are way smarter. They even hide there SoD in their Empire, not in the Capital.

2. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

Very, very interesting!!!

Question: Do they EXPAND slower as well??? I was really wondering about this.

If that is the case then if you put those two things together, a steady expansion of your own building out slowly with lots of commerce cities, instead of rushing to war asap, might be the way to go now...

3. Realyn

Realyn Warlord

The first Settler comes very Early again, or lets say : he comes out before ur own Settler ;).

I dont really know about the 2nd,3rd and 4th. I builded my first City at a Chocke Point to block them off. I´ll play a new game shortly and will report back then ;)

4. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

Maybe that's why it's called 'Beyond the Sword' :)

Cheers.

5. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

Seems like the AI may be more defensive now, and might actually build up its own infrastructure for a change.

I was over at Wattigi's (spelling?) thread, checking out the ss' and it appears that war is much more messy than it used to be based on the new pormotions, and the plethera of new units, espionage, etc...

Racing out to try and conquer neighbors ASAP may not be a great strategy anymore.

6. allansm

allansm Chieftain

I noticed that too. In Warlords I usually play on Noble or Prince and when playing with financial or philosophical leaders I could keep a tech lead, but now I can do it with every leader. I'm even considering play on monarch or higher levels, 'cause the game seems too ease now with the fewer AI bonus, although the AI are smarter.

In my games the AI expands faster. I'm playing Huge maps with low sea level. In warlords it took a long time for the land to get full, but now it gets full much faster.

7. vodlaian

vodlaian Warlord

I'm in a war right now in BTS. It seems totally different now. Right now most of the battle is going on in the water because his capital is tucked away into a bay and I keep trying to block off his trades. :p

I also really like the pirate battles, lots of them have been going on in my game and it's really fun. Probably because there's no repercussions :p

Here's some other things I noticed (not sure if it's new or not)
    - Friendly civs commonly offer you things to help you out for free
    - Some events have to do with friends asking you to send them supplies like troops, money if they are in war etc
    - There are no unique animations or models for volcanoes, they just destroy in a radius
    - There's cool events involving everything down to buildings (like a gladiator in the coliseum becomes a star and then multiple options of what to do next) etc
    - Most civs seems to demand less from you, and are overall seems a little more friendly (Especially if you are powerful)
    - I'm not sure if this is in civ4 or not, but weak civs ask you commonly if they can become a vassal.
    - Overall the civs seem more competitive in all areas.
    - Civs use their navies to harass you more commonly :p

8. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

AI bonuses are different. Depending on your difficulty level, maybe before they started with a worker, and now don't, or have to pay more for their upgrades.

I don't know the details, but I do know they lost some cheats to compensate for the AI.

9. allansm

allansm Chieftain

I fought a war against Portugal and I was surprised, 'cause the AI made a good use of slavery to build defenders and they don't defend only with archers, something that happened a lot in warlords.

10. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I'm wondering where the boosted AI will come in. So far, it looks like they are more docile--seriously, they demand less and get less of a tech lead? I might be able to beat Monarch after all!

I'm glad to see the AI coordinate wars better, though...now it'll be more of a challenge to conquer the world. :D

11. Realyn

Realyn Warlord

Yeah thats new.

Like i said i just started a new game with our darling isabella of spain. took 1 city+capital from her before i signed peace. around 20 rounds later she vassalized to the score leader from herself !

12. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

So it doesn't look anymore like the AI civs are all working together to prevent the human from winning ?

13. suspendinlight

suspendinlight Prince

Weak civs occasionally ask you to vassalize them in Warlords, especially when you are powerful and they are being attacked by a civ much stronger than they.

Anyone else have experiences with the BtS AI? So far the initial reports don't sound that promising.

14. vodlaian

vodlaian Warlord

To me it seems that way. Also you will see instances of civs donating to other civs in need, like if one of your cities are starving, another friendly civ may donate food. The events system really plays a huge roll now, it seems small but almost every decision you make has either a positive or negative effect in some way shape or form. Most of them involve relationships. Like there are many instances where you can sacrifice some friendliness with one civ to gain friendliness with another, there are other events which allow you to be more sinister and gain in other ways instead of taking the friendship route :p

15. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Are you playing with no tech brokering ?
    This could explain the slow Ai tech rate.
    Or they just devote much more commerce to espionage than you.

16. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

Which way? That they single out the human, or that they don't?

17. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I was wondering about either of those possibilities, especially the later. Could the AI just steal from you now? How much should you put into the espionage slider and take away from gold/science production? Has anybody tried permanently running a culture slider as the Byzantines with that Hippodrome benefit +1 :) per 5% :culture:?

I made a thread to talk about the difficulty levels and stuff, posted a few of my questions. If you have any experience with the new AI, please post!

18. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

i sense a patch to improve the AI even more... :mischief:

19. vodlaian

vodlaian Warlord

Well, i've only played one game and i've just reached the modern era. During this game I haven't been 'picked on' or anything like that, or felt like they had an advantage. The one guy who messed with me appears like he was messing with everyone because he ended up in war with lots of different civs and is barely holding on :p

I've been neck to neck with like 4 civs in terms of overall score and we have been gaining techs at around the same rate.

Also, workers are doing a great job while automated. So that alone makes the civs more efficient.

20. 0R4NG3

0R4NG3 Prince

Can you plz plz plz post a screenshot of cavalry or cossacks. Or at least just say what's different about them compared to warlords and whether they are still usefull (if you used them already).