AI Teching

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by stopstopp, May 8, 2010.

1. stopstopp

stopstopp Struggling Emperor

What are some techs the AI generally doesn't go for early? I know aesthetics is one, but what are the others?

2. Nkat

Nkat Monarch

I heard Literature. I have gone for the Great Library a couple of times now and have gotten it each time. This is the only evidence I have, and what I have heard gossip wise.

3. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Preclassical era: Religious techs if someone hogs it all.

Classical era: Compass, Aesthetics, Literature, Metal Casting, Drama and especially CoL if someone already teched it. Getting CoL the first is a huge boon since it virtually empeaches the AI's to build courthouses. Then, for those having huge empire, they will pay for the megalomania.

Medieval era: Music if someone teched it, Optics, Theology if someone got it, Paper, Philosophy if someone bulbed it for example and Divine Right if someone teched it.

In a nutshell, when someone get a religion-founding tech, no one else will bother teching it since the advantages brought with the tech are mainly a religion and wonders.

Note that this enumeration doesn't reflect preference order.

4. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

I like Aesthetics and Paper.
    Literature has such a low trade value it is really only good for relation boost.
    Alphabet can be good for trade despite several AIs researching it
    (they don't seem to trade alphabet to each other).
    Also, don't forget to trade for techs other AIs don't have yet
    (you can oft get 2..3 good trades from the AIs that chose not to research it).

5. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

This.

In addition, the AI is usually slow to go after the following:

• Metal Casting (unless they built the Oracle, in which case it's popular as a free tech)
    • Aesthetics and Literature, as mentioned above
    • Optics, Currency, and Civil Service--though in my games there's usually one civ that goes after these as if to personally challenge me while the others lag behind.
    • Paper
    • Education
    • Liberalism
    • Economics (but see what I said about Optics, Currency, & CS above)
    • Astronomy
    • Chemistry
    • Rifling
    • Steel
    • Physics
    This is not to say the AI won't pursue these techs at all, just that it will usually go about acquiring them with less alacrity than other techs.

Speaking of which, conversely, the AI absolutely loves:

• Any religion-founding tech, if it can get to it first
    • Horseback Riding
    • Monarchy
    • Mathematics
    • Calendar
    • Feudalism
    • Theology
    • Divine Right (Which seems to be an exception to the "founded religions' enabling techs stink" rule--the AI often seems to go after this even after Islam has been founded. Even though it's one of the weakest techs, with so-so wonders, and is not a pre-req for anything. Go figure. :confused:)
    • Military Tradition
    • Gunpowder
    • Corporation
    • Artillery

6. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Sis, DR is one optional pre-req to nationalism, so your comment about it is not 100% correct :p

I would add 2 more late techs that the AI shuns to your list: Biology ( one nat wonder, no units ... no surprise :D ) and Computers ( I really don't understand this one as much as that, but it is more a question of the very late military techs are more appealing to the AI than it most likely )

7. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

F'in' trainspotter... :p ;)

8. MkLh

MkLh King

In my experience Biology is a tech AI almost never research early. Communism and Physics are much more often researched by AIs.