AI Threats: A cry for help?

phizuol

Warlord
Its predictable.. every game at least one of the AI civs is going to ask you for something with nothing in return, sometimes even a civ you thought was your friend.

All the text associated with these "deals" indicates that you are being threatened with consequences if you do not agree to the AI demands, but more and more I wonder if there is more going on. Sometimes you will get demands from friendly civs even when your army could squish them like bugs... so why do they do it? I wonder if sometimes it is not so much a threat but instead a request for help from the AI. No doubt there are AI threats, but could there also be cries for aid? If so it can still look like a threat simply because the programmers might not have put in the right text to convey what the AI is thinking.

Here are the things I've noticed that lead me to believe that threats are not always made by the AI in an effort to extort you.
1) Sometimes you will get threats even when you are obviously more powerful than the AI for something of little value, like some old tech that every other civ already has. Is the AI really willing to risk a war it cannot win for this??
2) Friendly civs whom you have had excellent trading relations with will sometimes demand things from you. Why? They should know by now you would be happy to make a fair trade.
3) When you refuse a threat but the AI does not declare war they become very upset with you. Why? Because you have guts?
4) The things the AI says after you refuse a threat often seems disappointed. Like "I thought we were friends" and such.
5) Sometimes when you give in to a threat the AI becomes VERY happy with you. They seem to think you're pretty nice, almost as if you had given them a gift.

I just can't help but think that the AI needs your help sometimes and the threat text is used to ask. Of course as a player we see the text and feel pretty insulted and sometimes betrayed... but perhaps we should try to look beyond it? Maybe the civ really wants what you have but just can't afford it... so he turns to you for help. When you agree the AI is mood towards you can go way up... the same reaction as if you gave it a great gift for free! (which is essentially what you did.) After all, you helped him out when he really needed it... when it counted you were the AI's friend. On the other hand, refusing the AI in their time of need can make you look like a greedy pig, causing them really to dislike you... obviously you aren't a good friend.

I've played a few games where my policy was to always give in to AI demands. Sometimes a threat really is a threat... they want to attack you and simply need an excuse. Other times it seems like the AI is just asking for a handout. The few times that I used this policy I went on to win an easy UN victory... everyone loved me. Giving in to threats makes you seem like a nice guy I guess.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I just wanted to get opinions from the community. These days I almost always refuse threats, but maybe I'm missing out on creating a strong relationship with another civ. Maybe I'm even giving the AI reason to betray me later. What do you think?

Hmmm, possible I think. I have been bewildered by demands from time to time, that a significantly weaker civ would have the gall to demand tribute from me when I've been throwing my weight around throughout the game.

Yes I agree with you Philzou.
Once i was Rome and my civ score was like 600 and the indians (civ score 250) demanded chivalry. Why would I give Chilvary to the Indians? So, I say no, and they declare war. Ummmmmm, how dumb is that? I kill them in about 15 turns. ;)

Originally posted by phizuol
it can still look like a threat simply because the programmers might not have put in the right text to convey what the AI is thinking.

That's very astute, phizuol. Of course historically civilizations have often misunderstood each other, with varying tragic consequences, so this clumsiness kinda makes some sense now.

So, maybe it's not always bald-faced, infantile greed or extortion on their part, but their clumsy way of asking...

You make a good case.

most of the time the ai declares war, u give them a bloody nose and u get far more out of them than they originally wanted.

Isn't that just their way of "bluffing" when an insignificant civ "demands" tribute?

I do thank that it would be interesting to have a path of diplomacy where the AI (or you) could beg for mercy and ask for handouts from the powerful civs (e.g. just like the 3rd world contries ask the US/Wold Bank/IMF for assistance/welfare).

However, why would you ever give tech/gold/other away for free (absent the UN victory, which I personally think is bogus)?

Phizuol is certainly correct. I usually go right to proposing a deal after I reject a demand, and offer them what they asked for. Usually I get a great deal.

Of course, sometimes giving in to such a demand, say for a luxury item, is a good way to open the door for trading with a civ that you haven't had good relations with. Once the initial 20 turns is past, you can usually make a really great deal. And yes, giving in to all demands does certainly seem to make everyone love you.

Top Bottom