AI tournament: Season 3

When you get further into the game, could you check out the maintenance of a big city which in human hands would have severe maintenance costs?

Unfortunately that's not something that can be seen with the cheat mode as the correct upkeep is shown. A simple worldbuilder map will show the difference however.

The biggest difference really lies in unit cost... the AI pays almost nothing for all those units.

Group A Game 1 - 1000AD

Leading up to 1000AD, there were a lot of wars and a very early Liberalism.
As expected, Mehmed went on town on Gandhi. Tokugawa also tried desperately but the numbers and technology was never there.
Spoiler :

175AD ?
Spoiler :

Mehmed keeps going on Gandhi...
Spoiler :

Meanwhile Cyrus decides to jump on Mansa (who is still at war with Ragnar - however nothing ever happened on that front).
Spoiler :

Now might be a good time to capitulate, Gandhi...
Spoiler :
And he does so!

Mehmed wasn't done for the round:
Spoiler :
That's a lot of units!

The gold finally was Mehmed's.

By turn 150, I decided not to spread religion in the spectator city. As you can see, no one would ever be in position to win it as Cyrus was too large. Not doing so ensured the human presence wouldn't interfere.
Spoiler :

Another turn... another city... another stack. Mansa eventually capitulates to Mehmed who was quite opportunistic.
Spoiler :

Gandhi - if he was smart, he'd have capitulated after losing 1 city (or 0...). Now he's lost several tiles and looks pitiful.
Spoiler :

Ragnar - never managed to get anything going against Mansa. The double seafood is still not settled. Mehmed settled in his face and stole more spots. Really a performance to forget.
Spoiler :

Mansa Musa - lost 3 great cities to Mehmed... only his good early expansion can leave him a chance at backdoor culture. It's a shame he didn't manage to spread his religion more - his first 150 turns were quite good.
Spoiler :

Tokugawa - what to say... the way he is programmed just doesn't work I guess. He's one of the AIs I expect to weed out after a few seasons.
Spoiler :

Cyrus - another good performance, but shadowed by Mehmed. Large cities and a lot of them. Unfortunately it was Mehmed who managed to take the cities from Mansa while he was defending at two opposite sides.
Spoiler :

Mehmed - this is very much a repeat from the demo game. However, what I'd hidden so far is that Ragnar peace-vassaled to Mehmed! Look at the F8 screen! Given this group of AIs, Mehmed's peaceweight works very well.
Spoiler :

Washington - you don't get BTS 175AD Liberalism easily for an AI. That's usually because they make a lot of bad decisions. Such as not building Oxford in your best city -_- His tech rate is stellar and he's managed to stay off wars so far...
Spoiler :

Various demographics. Golden Ages are apparent and Mehmed's contribution against Mansa is quite clear. Mehmed's only potential target is Washington...
Spoiler :

Land overview.
Spoiler :

Place your bets - when and how will Mehmed win ?

Washington's performance is so sick so far that I'd really like to see him pull of some super early space victory, but I doubt that will happen. In any case I think he should be considered the clear runner up for this game.

Toku is a failure as usual... I've always wanted to cook a map with some triple gems+double wet corn start for Toku and MM in the tundra with no resources, just to see if Toku could even remotely hold on to Mansa's tech pace under those conditions.

At present Mehmed he has so many units and vassels I doubt it matters what techs the Americans will have by end of game. UN is his easy way out.

It does look like Mehmed by diplomation. I'm not sure a war against Washington would be very profitable for Mehmed, as Washington will have some very overteched defenses and Toku and Cyrus will probably dogpile Washington, which may cost Mehmed more cities. And since he's quite friendly towards those two, that will probably make a pure domination win impossible. Very nice performance though!

Assuming if he does win. Do you think it was more location or just because he was a stronger AI? Could he of won from Ragnars or Toku's start??? He is sat next to 2 of the lowest unit producing AI. Indians and Mansa somewhat put up a fight but it was never really a battle. Mehmed ticks so many boxes with his traits and way he is designed to play as the AI.

Ha...I basically called this one, although I expected something with Mehmed/Mansa earlier than Gandhi. It appears Mehmed/Cyrus are friends for life now - I think they are both Vass lovers - so Cyrus is safe in that regard. Question is who is Toku going to attack? Wash I guess.

Mehmed is clearly frontrunner, as expected, but game is still up for grabs with Wash teching lights out and the always possible Mansa culture grab.

Rags peace vassal didn't surprise me, but with his unitprob a break from Mehmed is possible and that could make things interesting.

hmmm..and there's always the "I don't like your vassal(s) factor" as well.

ugh..when you see things like Rags' iron/silk city you just have to go WTF with the AI

I take it that Toku does not have any Hinduism

Group A Game 1 - The end

I'm skipping through fast here - it was exceptionally boring due to friendly AIs and an undecided Mehmed :(

Fast forward to 1550AD (60 turns later!!), Memhed finally decides it's time to take out someone else...
Spoiler :

Needless to say, it wasn't pretty and was over quickly.
Spoiler :

Which left Mehmed at 55% land, 7% away from Domination... except he liked the 2 remaining AIs and was more than twice as strong as them... so no more wars unless Toku decided to play stupid with Cyrus.

To add to the boringness, the AIs stayed away from Mass Media for the longest time. When TUN finally got built, it was more important to pass resolutions than try to win :crazyeye:
Spoiler :

Finally! Over 100 turns after it was a clear win...
Spoiler :

In closing... power and culture.
Spoiler :

Winner: Mehmed II
Runner-up: ?
Wildcard: ?

Technically, Cyrus is the runner-up here as he would be closer to space than the remaining AIs. However, in terms of performance, both Washington and Mansa did way better - only getting caught by a juggernaut they couldn't handle (especially Mansa who held off 2 AIs for a long time). Gandhi was able to hold off Tokugawa (just barely - he never tried to capture a city that I could see), however the moment Mehmed showed up he crumbled.
Gandhi was over 100 turns away from a cultural win, having lost too many tiles.

Would it make sense to award points for more than 1 wildcard?

For example:
Mehmed II - 8 points
Cyrus - 5 points
Washington - 3 points
Mansa Musa - 2 points

~~~

Which game would you like to see next? Group A part 2? Group B? C? D?

Anyone is welcome to submit starting saves :yup:

For runner-up, do you think Cyrus would have gone to space before Gandhi could have gotten culture? Would Washington still have a chance at space before Cyrus?

From reading the reports, I don't think MM played exceptionally here. Being able to handle a backwards Ragnar doesn't mean much imo. He did cope with Cyrus, but didn't make any progress either. With the start and land he had, I would expect more to deserve a wildcard.

I'd give the wildcard to Washington for an impressive display, if he isn't runner-up for being closest to space. The Mehmed that hit him was far stronger than the one that hit Gandhi and MM, no chance there.

Runner-up n- Curys
WildCard - Wash. Not a runner-up, because he neglected everything but research. Wildcard for Gandhi is also tempting, because of starting postion.

Rag and Mansa - complete dissapointment and disaster

great job from mehmed.... once it kicked in he quickly snowballed, too bad he wasn't more decisive it could be easily domination and not diplomation.

Wash disappointed in the end :-( his indecisiveness (ugh spelling?) in attacking toku, ghandhi cost him the game and I think he doesn't deserve runner up (you didn't give it) as maybe someone would have liked.

Yeah, seeing how badly Wash handled the end game and failed to exploit his crazy teching in any way, he probably doesn't deserve runner up. But I would reward him the wildcard.

Interesting start. I think Gandhi will have some trouble winning the one.
Mansa with stone, Mehmed & Cyrus with marble, I wonder what they will build...

2 AIs start with WB, 5 AIs start with Archers...
Don't they allready start with enough Archers?

My favorites in this game are: 1, Ragnar. 2, Mehmed. 3, Mansa.

At least my second pick got it. Congratz to lymond for calling it right :goodjob:

Regarding the performance it's very hard to place some of the AIs.
Rags & Toku is obviously last and Mehmed is clear winner.
Who can say that Gandhi did badly? I think he was doomed from the start. How do you guys think that Washington would have done from Gandhis start...?

I would pick Cyrus as second in this game as he tried to take out a neighbour and did reasonably well.
Washington teched like a madman, but could have been overrun pretty much at any point. I guess he's third.
Fourth place goes to Gandhi IMO, or maybe higher as he is closer to a WC than the rest of the gang behind Mehmed.
Fifth place Mansa. Which WC is he aiming for?

It would have been interesting if Toku had DoW'd Washington late game, before Mehmed started plotting on him. The war would have prepped him to produce units and he might have been ready for Mehmed later... (a bit like Gandhi in season 2).

Yeah, Cyrus runner up and Wash wild card is ok I guess.

Victory: Mehmed II, Runner Up: Cyrus, Wildcard: Washington (better and more surprising performance than others). Good game! Waiting for the second run :goodjob:!

You have to give Washington something. I really think he was more deserving than Gandhi.

In both my games ottoman won. America and Cyrus challenged.

Top Bottom