1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI trade delegates?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Heinage, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Heinage

Heinage Khan

Dunno if this has been answered somewhere else so apologies if that's the case.

Will the AI ever initiate trades for delegates? Either amongst themselves or by coming to you with a proposal?

Or is this only reserved for human players to initiate?

I played a marathon game in which I controlled the Congress through 11 sessions from start to finish and completely dominated world politics by using diplomats to schmooze and trade for delegates. It was very easy to get everything I wanted (on King for first game).

Would be nice to know if the AI makes use of this system as well...

2. eewallace

eewallace King

I've done the same with schmoozing diplomats--basically bribing my way into enacting my religion as world religion. And no, I've never seen the AI civs do anything similar.

3. Heinage

Heinage Khan

If they don't, I really hope this will get coded in with the autumn patch.

4. Twahn

Twahn Chieftain

They do, at least thy did in madjinn's beyond the monument play through before release.

5. dat1337vet

dat1337vet Chieftain

In a "What do you want for this?" I had the AI ask for my delegates and a luxury resource

6. Heinage

Heinage Khan

So an AI approached him out of the blue and asked to trade for delegates?
    If so, and the build he played is the same we're all playing, that would be good news.

Though the fact that no AI asked me once, during a medium difficulty marathon game, does make me think that it's possibly not balanced correctly or there is some tweaking needed to AI decision making flavors.

Perhaps certain civs will initiate this more than others, like Alex...?

7. Heinage

Heinage Khan

While it's nice to see they suggested this, as you say, it was after you asked "what do you want...?"

I want to hear of more examples where the AI has initiated the trade. Like, actively come to you during their turn and ask you to vote yea or nay on a particular resolution, for gold or a luxury, or even as a demand

8. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

- AI do trade votes between themselves

Current limitations of the diplomat system

- AI rarely if ever approach human players to sell their votes
    - There are no notifications if AI has a diplomat is a player's capital; you have to make your rounds and checking to see if the 'World Congress' option on the player side is highlighted; if it is, players can put your votes up for trade.

Ideally both points above should be modified so the AI approaches human players to buy votes for their pet projects; and humans get a notification if a diplomat arrives in their capital so that they know who they can sell their votes to.

9. Heinage

Heinage Khan

I agree.
    With regard to your statement: "AI do trade votes between themselves", how do you know this to be true?

10. dexters

If you look at the proposals coming up for votes in the world congress, and hover over them, it will tell you who is voting yes /no/ unkown due to lack of shared ideology/diplomatic; It will also tell you a block of votes has been reserved for yea or nay due to a trade deal.

It will show the same thing if it was you who bought the votes.

You may need to have a diplomat in their capital to know this. I;ve only seen it once, but that's because I can't have a spy in every capital.

11. Heinage

Heinage Khan

Yeah I've seen the reserved votes due to trade deal but only when I've been the one to ask for delegates.
    Are you saying you've seen reserved votes even when you're positive you were not the one to request them?

12. dexters

I'm pretty sure it wasn't me, but I cannot now confirm it as it was on my 2nd or 3rd game.

Also I should correct my post to say:

"You may need to have a diplomat /share ideologies in their capital to know this. I;ve only seen it once, but that's because I can't have a spy in every capital."

I have a habit for going for freedom which means I don't get the same ideology bonus with majority of AI civs which leaves me entirely dependent on diplomats. Further, I assume sold votes won't be known if a) you don't share ideology b) don't have a diplomat in their capital as it would defeat the purpose of the diplomat/shared ideology system for voting information if you can see which votes are committed via trades without having a diplomat with that Civ. That would make vote counting too easy.

13. Heinage

Heinage Khan

In my one and only complete BNW game so far, I had freedom along with the majority of other civs, and used all my spies as diplomats, traveling around to ensure I would schmooze with everyone in between Congress sessions. I kept a close eye and never saw any AI have confirmed delegates apart from the ones I traded for.
    Having said that though, maybe because I was so heavily involved in trading delegates constantly, I may have never given them a chance to trade with each other as they were constantly promised to me...

Come to think of it, that could be why. But if so, then the AI should be programmed to sometimes already trade delegates early on after the round of proposals so they're not always easy pickings for the human player