AI unable to deal with crime in C2C

Moonil

Chieftain
After countless games I have come to the conclusion that the AI is unable to understand how crime works. I usually start in prehistoric area on slow or slower gamespeed with no revolution as the AI can't deal with that either. But after a few era advances, more and more nations start to collapse. Their cities start shrinking to size 1. Size 1 cities with 40+ red and green faces. Usually this doesn't happen until industrial, sometimes they stay with me until modern. But from there it has always been downhill. Size 1 cities with 5k+ crime. The worst one I found had too many barbarian units in it to count and the crime was 15k, and yes, that city was size 1 too.

Seems to me the crime makes the AI lose gold and to compansate the AI builds more crimeproducing buildings as they tend to give lots of gold. Thus bringing the crime up even further. I almost never see any LE units (except lawyers) and when the AI is able to build the Robber unit, they start spam-producing it, probably because it is the strongest unit they have. But they keep them in their cities, pushing the crime up even more.

I am of the old school variety and like long balanced games. Thus, I hold myself back and deliberately don't attack or wipe out AI nations, unless I desperately need resources or land to be able to compete with the more successful AIs. And I have a dream of once, just once be able to have a game reach the end era.

So, what I am wondering is. Is it possible to disable crime? I am not asking to remove crimebuildings, just the crime effect until the AI can deal with it.

Because otherwise. the best civ mod out there (c2c) is practically unplayable.

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics. Moved to the C2C forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are using stock v37 right? We discovered some "problems" with v37 after it's release.

You can update v37 2 ways, 1 either install the SVN (directions found in SVN Changelog Thread 1st post) or find the v37 update thread and find the last full Patch (full mod) I placed there.

Thank you for playing Caveman2Cosmos. And Welcome to the Forum.

EDIT: Link to last page for link to SVN 9634, the Last Patch. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/update-patches-for-v37.613571/page-4#post-14812380

Thank you . I used the svn a few days ago, so it should be fairly updated if not the latest version. And even though I am new to the forum, I have been playing c2c since it was called rocks to rockets or somesuch. I have noticed a gradual improvement in the AI behavior, but my experience is still that the AI will succumb to crime either in the industrial or modern era. The AI is now able to deal with disease, even though I have on occasion seen them have 70+ shepherds in every city., which seems like a major overkill to me. I suppose they need them as they don't seem to understand pollution either. I am not a moder, nor do I have the skills to be one, I am only commenting from my experience playing the game.

There are some known causes for AI failure to manage crime in the Industrial and past eras. They will be addressed but for now it is one of many issues I'm working to resolve.

If the AI is friendly you can put your police in their city. It will give the -x crime/plot.

You can also use dogs to keep an eye out on their cities. That shows the criminals so you can see what they are dealing with.

Hehe. I have actually had games where I mass-produced LE units and healers to send to friendly AI cities. Problem is. If I do that, that AI get a huge advantage and start invading everyone else. And I am never friends with more than 1-2 civs. And only after I have changed from closed to open borders which is required after a certain point. When I get too far ahead I simply gift lots of techs to the AI. An other way of not getting too far ahead is to have a low research% and put the remainder in culture and esp. I play on emperor and immortal levels. Never tried diety. Perhaps I should.

I have played Civ since the first game was released, and civ IV with c2c is by far the best mod I have tried even though both Invictus and the fantasy mod that keep changing names. Fall from heaven, fall further, fall from Erebus, Rise from etc...are good too.
Not that I have actually counted, but I am pretty sure c2c has more techs, units, buildings, unit-promotions etc in the prehistoric era than civ V has in total. I tried civ VI once and decided it was really civ V, the district expansion.

And to Thunderbrd: I am sure the crime issue will be fixed eventually. Problem for me is, until it is fixed, all my games end in the ind/mod era because I decided I won.

And to Thunderbrd: I am sure the crime issue will be fixed eventually. Problem for me is, until it is fixed, all my games end in the ind/mod era because I decided I won.
Yeah... sorry about that. I'll get to it soon I hope.

The same thing happens to me. At industrial/modern you reach the level of economy and production that you can just blitzkrieg the world at will.
I start with prince because i want to start even and really want to get religions and have fun hunting. Then i put it on emperor/deity with sedentary lifestyle. if you start on deity/nightmare etc you just miss out on the hunting, religions and wonders and i just love those. The AI is just gonna kill all animals and start religions in stupidly placed cities i want to destroy. (all my cities are placed 'autisticly' perfect).

Thunderbrd: No need to be sorry. I have played the mod for years, and I have seen everything as it got added, fixed, redone, etc. Keep up the good work. I don't want my first post to be seen as a complaint. I really just wanted to know if one could easily turn of crime. I suspect the economy would get too big a boon as those buildings give a lot of gold too and one no longer need to build high upkeep buildings like jails.

@Rmi: Obviously, if you want a challange, let the AI grab some wonders, hunting and religions... This game is pretty much a "winner takes it all" game and an early advantage can get you FAR ahead.

To "disable" crime, you can fiddle with difficulty parameters. You should be able to set it lower for the AI, while keeping your's at the same value as before I think. It's probably even possible to make it negative for AI, so that the bigger their cities, the safer they are. Or add a building that gives -10.000 Crime a turn for 1 :hammers: and never build it yourself, let only the AI build it.

Top Bottom