AI units firing AFTER moving

Xoon

Warlord
So I sort of dismissed this in previous games as being a strange isolated incidents, but since it just happened with back to back different type units (crossbow and catapult) I figured I'd ask.

Why can the computer fire after moving? They moved a crossbowman onto a jungle hill (no road) and he fired. Then their catapult moved 2 road spaces and fired at my city. What gives? Is this a difficulty issue (Immortal)? Or is it a special ability I can get somehow. They were Denmark and neither had any upgrades.

Great General near?

I haven't seen one, and they were pretty far into my territory, so I doubt it. But I suppose one could have been hidden just out of sight. Is there a retirement power that grants that? Because maybe they had a general and retired him?

Siege units have an upgrade that allows them to fire the same turn they moved, but AI rarely reach that. Besides that the only thing that can enable them to do this is a Great General.

Also you said Denmark. Is this a modded civ or are you playing a secenario? This may have special rules.

When the general gives an extra movement point it breaks the no fire after moving rule. Same with logistics. Crossbowmen can always fire if they have movement left.

There are also bugs. I had a crossbowman unit stuck with one extra movement. Even after being upgraded to a machine gun, it still could move 3 steps each turn.

What gives? Is this a difficulty issue (Immortal)?
GG is most likely but speaking of immortals... could the civ have been Persia not Denmark, I guess you were specific. The AI is pretty good at holding the GG back a bit. The Logistics card would not help them in your territory..
Next time it happens, copy your combat.csv log and post and can validate the GG bit.... or if you can shoot/attack the unit it will show if a GG is close enough.

What civ were they playing? Perhaps Persia after declaring suprise war or India/Chandra with war of territorial expansion? +2 movement from those abilities should be enough to allow this.

Besides that the only thing that can enable them to do this is a Great General.

Well, Supply Convoy will also do the trick but since we're talking about Crossbowmen and Catapults I assumed it was still early game.

Late game I love the card that gives +1 movement in enemy territory, really comes in handy for late game conquest. Of course that's far after the crossbowman era mentioned in the OP.

Denmark does not have disembark shenanigans anymore? I haven't played them in years

Could it have been a visual bug I wonder? Maybe the cross bow was already on the tile

Top Bottom