1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI units move much faster in fog?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Walter R, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Walter R

Walter R Great Engineer

I don't know if you have ever noticed this effect but it goes something like this...

On turn two you meet a french warrior (or any other civ's warrior): Howdy there, how ya doing? Later on you swap embassies to find that Paris is about 20 hexes away through a dense forest. Huh? How did he get to you so fast at the beginning of the game then?
    Even better, sometimes he's a spearman so he's presumably already found a ruin.

Since I first noticed this I've realised it's the case quite a lot of the time (unless of course I got an isolated start)

So I'm left wondering whether the other civs warriors start in random locations (i.e. not next to their settler), or whether they get to move around really fast until you find them?

Any thoughts?

2. Humantorch

Humantorch Chieftain

Not sure of the exact number, but putting units on "explore" grants them additional tile movement per turn.

3. docbud

docbud Emperor

I've wondered the same thing. How the heck am I meeting someone on turn 2 when they're 20+ tiles away from me.

4. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Scouts sometimes get promoted to spearmen when entering an ancient ruin. Scouts have a promotion that allows them to move through the whole map twice no matter what type of tile it is except for mountains unless you are dido. Spearmen that get upgraded keep the scout promotion which is how that spearman got to your civilization so early.

5. Chum

Chum King

Scouts get promoted to Archers.

6. Illinus

Illinus Chieftain

Even better, sometimes he's a spearman so he's presumably already found a ruin.
    What difficulty level do you play on? At higher levels the AI starts with a spearmen

Not sure of the exact number, but putting units on "explore" grants them additional tile movement per turn.
    I do not think that this is the case.

7. TractorBoy

TractorBoy Prince

With a start ten spaces between Capitals, then it would be possible to meet after two turns, but from what you are describing the AI must start with TELEPORT!!

8. Walter R

Walter R Great Engineer

Indeed!
    Please note that I'm not complaining (because it's always useful to meet the other civs early), I'm just a bit baffled as to how they manage it.

Someone asked what level I play - King usually, occasionally Emperor (or Prince if I'm feeling a bit lazy). I have a few thousand hours in, this is just one of those little things that has me scratching my head.

9. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Never had that happening to me, and I just did some testing with the Ingame Editor-AddOn ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=77002777 ), monitored the AIs positions after 2 turns in one game, after 5 turns in another game, watched an AI do their moves for the first 10 turns - couldn't find anything strange.

So from my quick test runs it seems to me that you're either wrong or that you've got some strange things happening in your games. ;) I'm interested in savegames, if you have any from the exact turn they met you, I'd suggest uploading them so that I and others can see what exactly happened.

10. Fluffball

Fluffball Prince

One question that comes into my head is are you meeting that warrior with your unit or is it passing by your city.e.g. so for simple sake that the 2 cities start 10 tiles apart in a line with each other.
    CTTTTTTTTTC

Both civs starting warrior are in between the 2 cities so the 2 warriors are in effect 8 tiles apart.
    CWTTTTTTTWC

Turn 1 one both warriors move toward each other so at the end of turn 1 both warriors are 4 tiles apart.
    CTTWTTTTWTTC

Turn 2 both warriors move toward each other again and they are now next to each other.
    CTTTTWWTTTTC

So at first thought it would take 5 turns to meet each, 10/2 but in reality only takes 2 turns.

11. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

I don't think I've ever seen so many misleading posts in one thread. Where you are getting your info from, guys? :)

1. On higher levels AI starts with warrior(s), not spearman.
    2. Scout upgrades to 'scarcher' - an archer who ignores terrain movement costs and keeps other special promos scout had.
    3. Units do not move faster in fog. You just spawn relatively close to each other and move your units towards each other.
    4. Auto-explore do not add movement points.
    5. If you play with map size and number of AI's/CS - the space between spawn points of different players, obviously, gets affected.

12. Vitruvius

Vitruvius King

Some ruins are portals left behind by aliens. They allow you teleport to a random location on the map.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

13. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

:goodjob:

14. Asklepios

Asklepios Warlord

Shhh. The drones don't realise their "game" of civ 5 is a simulation in the network node.

Uh-oh, they've caught on.

Fetch the nerve stapler!

15. Walter R

Walter R Great Engineer

Best answer! And knowing CiV, the most probable...:lol: